Desert Island Mini - LP Island - Group 1 Listening Thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2021, 06:59 PM   #21
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 01:52 AM
Sorry for the delay in getting these comments out, I've been sick the past couple days, plus I had to prioritize some work related stuff.

iron yuppie

I had a somewhat similar list to this one in DI10 (which included a different Til Tuesday song), so I was comfortable here. Lots of great bands here from the same era that keep within similar production styles, so there's not a lot of heavy lifting to do with sequencing. Everything works together very easily and I never felt you had to reach to make a track fit.

I could go through each of these tracks and say why I love them, but nobody needs to see me gush for the millionth time about David Bowie, Cocteau Twins or Young Marble Giants, but I do want to highlight how great Wishing is. What a great pop song!

The most interesting and unique section of the list was Durutti Column through Peter Gabriel, when things got legitimately quirky and impressionistic. Spacey, dubby, psychedelic, dark and strange. These weren't my favorite songs (though I do love Durutti Column and Felt in general), but as a whole, I think it's where the list separates itself. When I made an 80s list, I focused on the sophisticated, urban, romantic corners of 80s pop and alternative music. Your vision of it is more fuzzy and abstract and I enjoyed that a lot.

GAF

Kind of stylistically all over the place and at 57 minutes it never quite felt complete to me, but taking it as an expansion pack for A Bunch of Good Songs, I enjoyed it a lot.

Sometimes I forget you're into dream pop and shoegaze. Slowdive and Ride are always welcome. I hadn't heard the Pulp song before, which took me by surprise because they're one of my favorite bands; I'm just really bad at getting into non-album material by bands I like.

The Universal/One Day Like This probably should have ended the thing because it was so fucking good and overwhelming that it felt like the list peaked in the middle.

You picked my favorite song on Goo!

I had never heard of Longpigs before this list but I fucked with that song HEAVY. Richard Hawley is a genius so I will be checking that side project out.

Ode to the Mets/Louise made more sense together than I thought it would and ended things pretty damn well.

tourist

Part of the issue I had with your last list was that it felt pretty samey across the length of a full DI entry. This entry, on the other hand, really benefits from the restrictions of the mini format. I was into it the whole time and enjoyed most of the songs. Obviously The Cure, Jay Som, Radiohead, Carly is no-brainer stuff for me, but I didn't mind the stuff I didn't know either, though I was admittedly less engaged with tracks 3-7.

You work within a handful of distinct sonic palettes here - upbeat 80s-influenced rock, creeping, murky art pop, clattering hip hop-influenced beats - and they're blended very nicely throughout. I was impressed by a number of the individual sequences as well. The Tourist didn't work overly well for me in the middle of the list, but the way it transitioned into Star Treatment made me quickly forget my issue with it.

One thing I would have done differently is place the HAIM/Taylor/Carly run earlier in the list, perhaps peppering them into that track 3-7 run. Right now, 10 d E A T h b R E a s T feels out of place, but transitioning that into All the Stars makes a ton of sense and maintains some tonal consistency. I think the instinct with putting HAIM/Taylor/Carly later in the list was to inject some energy later on, but I think they benefit the list more by adding some familiar faces in the early going.

Overall, a very enjoyable stretch of songs that showed a lot of skill for sequencing as well.

LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 08:32 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:52 AM
I just listened to GirlsAloudFan playlist and here’s my thoughts. I felt like songs 1-4 the transitions, flow and song choices weren’t my cup of tea. However, the playlist gain momentum with “Vapour Trails.” Kudos for including one of my favorite Blur tracks and “Love Burns” is an excellent song. “One Day Like This” was really one of the stars of this playlist as well. I have never really been a Sonic Youth fan and it seemed out of place on the playlist as well. Maybe because I am not fond of Sonic Youth may have something to do with it. :I don’t know. Lol. shrug: In the last half of the playlist I thought that Strokes was a solid track. I thought “Louise” ended the playlist off well and humbly but sonically-speaking it wasn’t my favorite song on the playlist. Overall, great job GirlsAloudFan. I thought transitions could have been better in some places (song 1 to 2) but you picked some very awesome songs and there were parts of it that had a great positive energy to it (esp. songs 5-7).

Cute Irish Bono is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:58 PM   #23
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:52 AM
GAFs

It was a good on the way into work playlist, fit with my morning walk well.

I had never heard the El President song before and was caught off guard by 'hey isn't that Yorkey boy?'

Lost Myself by Longpigs was also pretty good and something I will be checking out further.

I will be honest but I'll be happy to never hear One Day Like This ever again. Seeing as Elbow are somewhat of a local band to these parts it got a lot of play some might say a wee bit too much play.

Love Burns always reminds me of Zooropa. Also I knew nothing of the Human League outside Don't You Want me Baby and it was a cool song to end on!
LJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:12 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I listened to The Tourist playlist. Here are my thoughts:

I thought The Cure’s “Push” was a wonderful opener. However, songs 2-5 were just ok to me. Then it’s like the playlist gain momentum and a soothing vibe spread for a while, songs 6-10. This was definitely my favorite part of the playlist.

And I must say flow and transitions has been very well orchestrated on this playlist. Also, I enjoyed seeing each part of the playlist have a cohesiveness to it. From the soothing indie songs from 1-10, to the R n B of songs 11-13 to the poppy of songs 14-16 to the hip hop of the remaining songs.

I should say that I am not fan of the R n B, poppy or hip hop sections of this list but I can appreciate the diversity and flow of it. I am picky on what I like from those genres.

My favorites tracks include songs by Author, The Cure, Noah Gundersen, and of course, Radiohead. Great job The Tourist.
Cute Irish Bono is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:45 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

As a preface, my comments are going to be a bit more concise this time around since having a newborn addition takes up way more attention than having a toddler and kindergartner. I won’t be commenting on every song, section, and transitions/flow* like I have in the past because I just don’t have the time for all of that. Listening this time around is taking up a good deal of my free time. Haha!

*I feel like we’re all fairly good at getting these lists to flow at this point so I’ll only point something out it it’s a true WTF moment.

Listened to iron yuppie’s playlist on a walk today. I always look forward to seeing what you’re going to bring because it’s typically not in my wheelhouse at all and I always find something I wouldn’t have otherwise listened to. There’s always a jazz element. I liked how chill it was. Some of my favorites included Ooh Ooh La La La, Lazy Calm, and Wishing. Obviously The Walk as well - I’m a pretty big fan of The Cure (probably moreso than U2 at this point in my life). Enjoyable soundtrack to an afternoon walk.
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

Iron yuppie, this list is excellent. The first six songs, from Til Tuesday to Bowie, were so enjoyable...loved the '80s (and '80s adjacent) feel. That Eurythmics track is killer. I think I'd heard it before but it really clicked this time and I might have to listen to that entire album. So good. Visage reminded me of Kraftwerk in a good way. And why has it been a decade since I've listened to Low?

I liked the rest of the list too but it was that opening stretch that stuck in my head. Also, ending the playlist with Never Let Me Down Again is a strong move.

Tourist, a playlist that has Arctic Monkeys and Taylor Swift? That's hot. Those are probably the two artists I've spent the most time championing on this forum? And I don't think either has showed up on a DI list before.

Jay Som was probably the best discovery for me. I really liked the sound of that. The Cure leading into it was great...Head on the Door might be my favorite Cure album.

Putting your own music on a DI list is an interesting move but I can't hate on it

Overall, this has a bunch of cool tracks (your namesake track, Pink Rabbits, Redbone, Forever, All The Stars, etc)

Good shit by both of you guys. This is fun.
GirlsAloudFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:44 PM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 04:52 AM
GAF, you had a pretty unique start to the playlist with the Bond theme, but I found the flow to be a bit rough between that, Slowdive and Drugstore. I also couldn’t really stand the vocals on “El President,” though the music was decent. The Britpop adjacent section from Pulp to Elbow was fantastic though. I liked that you went with a This is Hardcore track for Pulp rather than Different Class. And “The Universal” into “One Day Like This” was perfect.

The Sonic Youth song was fantastic. I’ve yet to really explore their discography. Is Goo a good place to start? “Love Burns” was alright, but I really like the inclusion of “First Thing To Go.” I’ve really enjoyed Hayley Williams’ two solo albums. I think I like Petals for Armor more than Flowers for Vases, but this is still an excellent, beautifully fragile tune. “Ode to the Mets” is an awesome song, from the only Strokes album so far that I actually really like. “Louise” was another new one for me but made for a nice coda to wrap things up. I enjoyed how relaxed and varied your list was - good coffee choices all-around!
Joey788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:56 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Listening through Tourist's list now, but wanted to take a moment to say how great the three-song run from Star Treatment to Redbone is. Hard not to groove to that.
iron yuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:59 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
(though I do love Durutti Column and Felt in general)
I remember you being a big fan of Felt. I love Crumbling the Antiseptic Beauty, but have had a hard time getting into the other albums. I'm not sure I like his voice, which is probably why I prefer the more instrumentally-driven early albums.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:06 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Tourist: similar to what LM said, I felt like this list has considerably more sonic diversity than your last entry, which was great to hear. Push as an opener really works given the propulsive nature of the track, and the flow through the first half is steady even in places where I thought it might not have been at first glance. I already mentioned how much I dug the mini soul/motown inspired section. I'm not a Taylor Swift fan, but not even the biggest hater can deny the hook on Style. Good batch of songs here.
Old 05-08-2021, 02:24 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Remember to sign the form (optional), not only is it fun data for the end. I’m getting some feedback which is cool.

I’ll provide my feedback tomorrow now that I’ve liste see a few times, from there I can start preparing thread 2 for group 2.
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:15 PM   #32
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:52 AM
Iron Yuppie

Impeccable flow as I have generally come to expect. Thought it was a great playlist in general and enjoyed the very 80s initial half vibe, but as LM has already noted and I will echo, it became really interesting in that second half and enjoyed the journey through your track selection, The Raincoats, Peter Gabriel, Au Pairs, all good stuff.

Tourist

I think this is my favourite list out of the group. I think last time round in DI your list was great but had too much of a good thing going on this one has great songs and good variety to it and have played a few times so far during runs etc just for enjoyment.

I'll agree with GAF on enjoying the Taylor Swift and Carly Rae inclusions. Enjoyed the ending with Lupe Fiasco as well. I will also be checking out your own actual album as well now as it was pretty cool as well!
LJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:09 AM   #33
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Remember to sign the form (optional), not only is it fun data for the end. I’m getting some feedback which is cool.
I'm very excited to come last for the cover thing. No way am I making a cover when I don't have to and Spotify already generates some tiles from album covers for me.

Anyway, I need to get onto listening to these... looks like a good group and I'll start with tourist, shortly.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 02:12 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Think of it as a way to recognize those who put the effort in, rather than something for you to lose haha

Apologies for the delays on group 2 everyone, had a series of life things, should hopefully get everything in tomorrow.
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 03:26 AM   #35
Vocal parasite

Alrighty, tourist. I gotta start with a confession. Earlier this year, I checked an old email account and I was surprised to find you had emailed me some weeks earlier about your new album. I got on to listening to it, and quite enjoyed it, and can't believe I did not get around to writing back to tell you so. My only excuse is that I've been too busy and stressed the last few months and any of my closest friends will attest I've been hard to contact outside of Twitter. I'm glad to see you put a song on here—a bold move and it works.

As for the rest, I really enjoyed the start of your list. "Push" is one of my favourite Cure songs, after all. I've learnt that Deep Sea Diver is not the Sydney band I thought they were (I was remembering Deep Sea Arcade), and that track was a real highlight. Perhaps no surprise my pick of the whole list, besides "Push", is "Moon Coin".

From The National onwards, though, I confess this just isn't my bag at all. Outside of future DI lists, I can't imagine I'd ever listen to any of the artists involved in tracks 8-18. The guitar at the end of the Alabama Shakes track got my attention in a positive way, at least. And what the hell is up with the song titles on that Bon Iver album. I thought some of the post-rock and metal bands I listen to gave their songs nonsensical names.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-11-2021, 07:05 AM   #36
Vocal parasite

Just listened to GAF's list. It's a really enjoyable little list of songs that never overstays its welcome. There are some big favourites of mine here: "Alison" and "Vapour Trail". It has some bands I should've paid attention to more in the past, like Pulp, or who had just slipped a bit off my radar in recent years, like Sonic Youth, so I enjoyed these tracks. I know I've seen the name Longpigs but I honestly could not say if I'd heard their music; "Lost Myself" was great.

Hell, my only real complaint is that there were better closers early in the list than the song that actually closed it, which would've probably gone better in the middle somewhere. "Vapour Trail" is right there as a perfect closer.

Keen to listen to iYup's list but that will have to wait for tomorrow as it's getting late here.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-11-2021, 09:52 PM   #37
Vocal parasite

iYup, what a fantastic list. The "two songs" of the title are both great tracks, and the whole list has a solid structure and a clear identity. I was impressed that although this is very centred on post-punk and new wave, you managed to create something with a lot of sonic diversity. It's hard to pick highlights, but if I had to, I'd take the middle sequence from Cocteau Twins through to The Raincoats. Really, the only song I didn't care for was the Laurie Anderson one. "The Walk" is a Cure track I'm not particularly into, but you used it well.

All in all, it's going to be hard to beat this for my #1. I had a great time this morning listening to this while I got through some solid reading for work.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-12-2021, 10:04 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Thanks Ax, glad you enjoyed it. Seems like you and I have been on the same wavelength these last few DIs.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:55 AM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

I listened to GAF’s list last night and laughed to myself a bit. When I made my DI list this time, it was based off of a longer list I had nearly ready to go. So I’d had to cut half the songs. Two of the songs that would have been in my list were on your list. Vapour Trail and Love Burns. Best songs by either artist in my opinion. Those two plus El President brought back some serious nostalgia for the end of my teenage years as all those songs were in heavy rotation for me back then. Overall this list was both fantastic and concise and it’s another in a history of extremely strong lists you’ve made.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:14 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
tourist

Part of the issue I had with your last list was that it felt pretty samey across the length of a full DI entry. This entry, on the other hand, really benefits from the restrictions of the mini format. I was into it the whole time and enjoyed most of the songs. Obviously The Cure, Jay Som, Radiohead, Carly is no-brainer stuff for me, but I didn't mind the stuff I didn't know either, though I was admittedly less engaged with tracks 3-7.

You work within a handful of distinct sonic palettes here - upbeat 80s-influenced rock, creeping, murky art pop, clattering hip hop-influenced beats - and they're blended very nicely throughout. I was impressed by a number of the individual sequences as well. The Tourist didn't work overly well for me in the middle of the list, but the way it transitioned into Star Treatment made me quickly forget my issue with it.

One thing I would have done differently is place the HAIM/Taylor/Carly run earlier in the list, perhaps peppering them into that track 3-7 run. Right now, 10 d E A T h b R E a s T feels out of place, but transitioning that into All the Stars makes a ton of sense and maintains some tonal consistency. I think the instinct with putting HAIM/Taylor/Carly later in the list was to inject some energy later on, but I think they benefit the list more by adding some familiar faces in the early going.

Overall, a very enjoyable stretch of songs that showed a lot of skill for sequencing as well.

Always glad to have your feedback as you’re like the king of desert island. Haha! Bummer about those early tracks where you lost interest since I really thought you’d dig Noah Gundersen. Many of your criticisms on where things should go were things I had considered but didn’t feel right about when I tried them.

The only one I wish I’d kept was Bon Iver after Carly Rae, which was one of your suggestions