Desert Island IX: Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think we should have a playlist exchange as part of the 2013 year-end list. Just not in a requirement style. I know Travis used to zip up a playlist of his favorites at the end of every year. Could be fun.

This is a good idea because we don't put nearly enough emphasis on showcasing the best songs of the year, just albums.

I'm sure LMP will be all about this.

IWB, you keep grouping shoegaze and Tame Impala together, which just baffles me. Tame Impala are nowhere near shoegazey.

You're right, but all that beach house wild nothing stuff kinda is, and I lump them all into the same category of bands from last year that everyone here except me loved. I know, none of them put out their first album last year, but they all put out albums last year and everyone here that wasn't me thought they were the greatest. They fall under the psychedelic part of that bullshit made up genre I've been calling all those bands.

I recall you not being interested in it, and then regretting it later. It was quite fun indeed.

I think a lot of us could make good lists for that. Only 8 people participated and half of that small group are still regular participants.

But there's nothing stopping someone from picking that scene for their list, so it's all good.

This is a good idea because we don't put nearly enough emphasis on showcasing the best songs of the year, just albums.

I'm sure LMP will be all about this.

You are correct.

Since Ash inquired, my idea for monthly mixes would be similar to DI in the submission process. Send the person in charge a list and link to send out to interested parties -- covers & track notes are also welcome. 1 CD length max.

There wouldn't be a limit to who could submit, or really verification that people have listened to it. The focus would be getting music out there and hoping to generate conversation from there. Each month would have its own thread. Does that sound intriguing to any of you?

I don't mean to take away from the DI tournament by any stretch. I just think that there should be an outlet for sharing tracks/tastes outside of the competition format. If no one is interested, I'll quit posting about it.

I think that's something I might participate in occasionally, but I don't think I'd be a regular contributor.

The only threads you've started since the last DI are just random unrelated threads. Before that, is Best of 2000s... (Not 2010, my bad). Did someone else run it?

Ah, this isn't really a strict genre DI though, it's just that some chose to go that route.

Can't believe I forgot about that, there were some good lists in there.

I'm down for anything really. Next time I'll avoid new songs and an indie sound. Maybe an alt-country mix? May start working on that now.

I know that that particular mini DI killed my soul, as far as selecting songs is concerned. Please, please, never change it to an 80 minute limit :no:

So we've done 80 minute DIs with no theme in the past, but people want to continue doing those while limiting standard DI to 120? That shit is silly. What the hell is the difference at that point?

I'm down for anything really. Next time I'll avoid new songs and an indie sound. Maybe an alt-country mix? May start working on that now.

I hope no one got the impression from me that new songs are a bad thing :(. They really aren't. It was just coincidence, I think, that the first few lists were all very heavy in recent music. They were all still great lists, though. Gump, yours was one of my favorites.

I hope no one got the impression from me that new songs are a bad thing :(. They really aren't. It was just coincidence, I think, that the first few lists were all very heavy in recent music. They were all still great lists, though. Gump, yours was one of my favorites.

No no, not at all. It's just that I feel the two times I participated in DI I gravitated towards newer songs. I'd like a different approach next time. And thanks! I liked yours a lot too - had you in 6th place.

An alt country list would be fantastic, gump. Please make that.

I might try that. I guess it will depend on the length we decide to go with.

This made me start to listen to Anodyne. So so good. Sometimes I imagine a parallel universe where Tweedy and Farrar kept playing together.

Wild Nothing and Beach House are dream pop.............

It's all the same chill, drone without the dissonance of actual shoegaze, boring snoozefest. But ok, I'll change my overreaching classification of the stuff to dreamy psychedelic electro pop. Better?

Ah geez, I'm sorry I was so half arsed with getting the rankings in. But I really enjoyed all the lists, it was an incredibly solid competition and I discovered some really great stuff from you guys. Thank you so much for doing all this LeMel. Congrats pahana, your list was killer. And big thanks to everyone who voted me up high, I really wasn't expecting that. :up:

Pahana, your list was not bad. Sorry I didn't have time to comment earlier but I was the one who asked ElMel last minute to push you up the rankings. You owe your victory to me! :wink: Being the 80s dude that you are, it shone thru on those first few tracks. That first track was excellent, man! Where do you find this stuff? It sounded so typically 80s but yet I had never heard of the song or the band before! Enjoyed parts of your list and liked the second half more I think. Good job! :up:

The most hilarious thing (to me) in this whole competition was Laz's list and how my own list featured right underneath his in the original thread! Oh, the irony.

Back
Top Bottom