Desert Island IX: Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a shame Sad Punk wasn't eligible. That list was possibly my favorite DI entry yet. I couldn't get her links to work, so I made a YouTube playlist for it, and even the damn videos had coherence to them.

I was looking over the other results threads to see how this one matched up to the others as far as traffic (it surpassed VII, didn't come close to VIII, which I think devolved into a bitchfest towards the end) and I noticed you came in second twice in a row. :ohmy: I'm glad you won this one, you'd have been the Buffalo Bills of DI otherwise. :wink:

Now that we're past the results, feel free to use this thread to discuss plans for DI 10.

Fun fact: the entire top 5 was comprised of lists that were 140 minutes or longer. So much for long lists being a handicap!

I was looking over the other results threads to see how this one matched up to the others as far as traffic (it surpassed VII, didn't come close to VIII, which I think devolved into a bitchfest towards the end) and I noticed you came in second twice in a row. :ohmy: I'm glad you won this one, you'd have been the Buffalo Bills of DI otherwise. :wink: Now that we're past the results, feel free to use this thread to discuss plans for DI 10.

I think I was second in the mini we ran in between as well, so that would have definitely matched the Bills...

FWIW, ElMel, you did have the highest # of Top 5 placements, correct?

Nice work, everyone.

By three, had Bonnie got her list in. :sad: A handful of people got some kind of ear disease from my list, I guess.

Nice work, indeed. We had lots of fresh faces this time and they generally did very well. Can't wait to see what DI10 brings us. Probably more Tame Impala.

By three, had Bonnie got her list in. :sad: A handful of people got some kind of ear disease from my list, I guess.

Nice work, indeed. We had lots of fresh faces this time and they generally did very well. Can't wait to see what DI10 brings us. Probably more Tame Impala.
I intend to return to your list in a few years when I get over this anti-classic rock phase I'm in. I guess my list sort of reflects it but I'm ... I don't know, exhausted by it? Who knows.

Weave-32.gif

Ranking these was hard. I think my top 3 and last five were solidly how I felt about them, but the order in which everyone else in between fell wound up being almost arbitrarily based on what my fleeting opinion was at the moment I sat down to actually rank them. I could probably listen to everyone's list a second time and come up with a different opinion. Hell, I listened to LJt's list a second time last night at work, and realized if I had listened to it in a total chill out 4am mood the first time around, it could have been ranked differently. Same goes for almost everyone else. If I had actually been driving on a sunny day while listening to Lm's list, it may have been my #1. I know my opinion of the Lights&music-titled list he made a couple DIs ago was greatly enhanced by when and where I listened to it.

Funny you mention the fluidity of the lists. There were definitely some last-minute changes made to people's lists. I had one participant change their ranking around this morning and I allowed it because, hell, I put the results on hold for a day. That's how it goes.

I'm already planning my next list, but I'm really not sure what I'm going to do with the time issue. Plan it for 120 min and up it to 160 if that's what we end up doing? 160 and downsize? I'm not really sure. The whole thing is in flux right now, which is why it's good we're taking another year or so off.

Congrats phanan! This has gotta be the most difficult comp I've been in so far. Definitely placed the lowest since I did the revenge murder playlist.

LemonMelon
1. phanan
2. the tourist
3. gump
4. LMP
5. PhilsFan

Phanan
1. bono_212
2. LemonMelon
3. the tourist
4. iron yuppie
5. Joey788

lazarus
1. The Sad Punk
2. padj
3. gump
4. The Tourist
5. PhilsFan

Thanks a lot guys! The two DI kings rank me near the top. Can't ask for much higher praise than that! Oh, and laz too.

I was pretty sure I was going to be last, so everything else is a success.

Congrats to the winner.

We're not doing this for another year??

Shit, I could do this like every few months.

Same. Like I said, I'm already starting on the next one. But yeah, usually it's every 9-12 months. Last time the break was even longer.

However, the mini DIs that Cobbler alluded to happen during the downtime. Mini DI consists of theme lists like the one you submitted, and usually they're only one disc in length. We collectively agree on a theme and work within those confines. If you're interested in that, I'm sure others would be as well; it's not much of a hassle.

I love mini DI, almost more than regular DI because it's so much looser.

Might be nice to do one in the new year, you know, to test out whatever new format we got with :wink:

You know what else was fun, even though I think we only successfully did it once? The Christmas Playlist exchange.

Ranking these was hard. I think my top 3 and last five were solidly how I felt about them, but the order in which everyone else in between fell wound up being almost arbitrarily based on what my fleeting opinion was at the moment I sat down to actually rank them. I could probably listen to everyone's list a second time and come up with a different opinion. Hell, I listened to LJt's list a second time last night at work, and realized if I had listened to it in a total chill out 4am mood the first time around, it could have been ranked differently. Same goes for almost everyone else. If I had actually been driving on a sunny day while listening to Lm's list, it may have been my #1.
This pretty much. I can honestly say I enjoyed almost each list I listened to.

I'm actually happy I finished just outside of the bottom three. :lol: My playlist clearly had some weaknesses. I'll surely participate in the next one.

It surprises me that LJT is so low. It was my favorite. And congrats to phanan. Strong playlist.

Well I did the mistake of checking the new u2 album thread while I'm waiting. Why. :|

A question I've asked myself too many times.

:lmao:

Really enjoyed your list, LMS! Excellent first run :D

Thanks bono_212! It was quite enjoyable to read this whole Results thread I must say. LM, you've done a fabulous job of organizing it and putting everything together! :up:

One thing I've realized from this contest is... it really is not about the greatest songs you can put together on a playlist but more about introducing new music to people. This is where I think I failed pretty badly because everything I had on there was generally familiar stuff to this forum's members. I still think it was my best list yet. But on the flip side, people like LJT and djerdap had tons of new unfamiliar music on their list and look how low they ended up. The ranking pattern here is bizarre. Everyone votes using different criteria in mind. That's the problem.

Biggest surprise for me was how low namkcuR ended up. I had him at #1. lol. And I see he had me at #1. :hi5:

Congrats to LM, Phanan and the rest of the gang. Mr. V & Bonnie were both in my Top 5, wish they could have made the final count. Thanks to all who had kind things to say about my list; happy to be back as a participant. A lot of my fondest (and least fond) memories of the site tie directly into this ongoing competition.

Truth be told, I haven't read the whole discussion yet on moving forward with future DI installments. Like Laz said earlier though, monthly CD-length mixes are always something I'm down with. Doesn't have to be a competition as long as we're sharing tastes.

I'd gladly volunteer to put together the first iteration of that if more people are interested. PM me if you're down or have ideas on how they want to approach it.

I'd be down for a mini DI in the near future. I do prefer that format on account of the restricted length. Maybe I just have a short attention span or something. All of the two-hour lists in this edition I had to split up into two listening sections.

Oh wow, I missed all the fun last night. Anyways, congrats to phanan, and to Laz for the top-5 debut. I really thought there were a lot of good lists this time around. Some of the lists - thinking of Laz and phanan specifically - have made me go back to my 1990s music that I hadn't really listened to in years (and to discover new things). That's all one can ask for from these competitions.

Shit, I loved LJT's list. Great flow with variety but consistent atmosphere and some superb artists that I had not come across before. That one deserves to be much higher, IMO. Bonus points as well for the Wittgenstein shout-out.

I think your the only one to get the Wittgenstein and thanks for the kind words.

The best I think I've ever done was maybe a third round back in the tournament days. But hey think its the first time i've had someone's favourite list in the game.

I know I fall down with the unfamiliar material, I suppose there is a balance to be found between the new and old. I tend to rank based on how interesting I found the listening experience and whether the list introduced me to something new like Padj and Djerdap with Noir Desir. IWB's list was full of music I would never normally listen to, but I considered it an excellent experience for that and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Slight special mention to Djerdap, it's always cool to hear non-English music.

A shorter format may help a bit because you really only have time to do one listen of each playlist and for those with slightly more unfamiliar music it takes a while to digest, there are few artists in my own playlist I didn't even initially like much first time I heard them. As LemonMirrorSky said we all vote by varying criteria, though I'm not sure we could create suitable criteria to score lists on.

Anyways twas fun and congrats to Phanan.

Back
Top Bottom