Desert Island IX: Master List, Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a wonder when are we getting the next set of playlists?

I, uh...am a little behind now, I confess.

I'll be finishing up the first section tonight and moving on to this one soon.

Has everyone even listened to all of these yet? The last thread had like 15 pages and this is stuck at 5.

I think I posted about this thread's lists in the other, probably wasn't the only one. But I still haven't gone back to tourist's list, nor have I listened to padj or Joeys. Lms, too. (Sky, not just LM, I listened to that).

I got behind because I was on vacation. I play to listen to the rest from this list that I haven't already listened to next week at work. I still haven't posted my thoughts on the two I listened to before my vacation, but I'll do that around the same time I post my thoughts for the rest.

Almost finished with LemonMelon's list. I only knew 4 songs of the total 38 so there was lots to discover for me. As I said earlier, classic rock isn't exactly my thing so this list was quite a difficult one for me. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would though! The opening trio was really strong. Putting a classic like Born to Run in second place was a smart move. The next stretch of songs kept the energy high but it was my least favorite stretch. Lots of short rocking songs that all started blending together after a while. It wouldn't have hurt to place one or two longer tracks there to shake it up a bit.

From Evil Woman onwards, with the tempo down, I enjoyed the playlist a lot more. Evil Woman-Jackie Blue was a great duo. The bluesy part wasn't really my thing but there were a few tunes I did enjoy. I'd Have You Anytime-Ocean of Noise was the most recognisable stretch for me and also one of my favorites. This Is a Hardcore was my favorite unknown song of the playlist. The acoustic songs were nice but it was hard to keep paying attention becaus I didn't know any song. I just finished listening to the jazz track. Really good. Last song, which I love, just started.

For a final conclusion I'll have to relisten to a few songs I think. Definitely a very interesting listen for me.

It probably also has to do with the fact that there are lots of American artists on the playlist who aren't as well known in Europe.

And I haven't delved into older rock music as much as I'd like to.

I think it's great that you discovered so much music through my list. I knew when I put the list together that I was running the risk of people being too familiar with the material, so it's nice to see that wasn't entirely the case.

Yeah that's why I participated in the first place.

I had the same experience with Laz's list (listened to that one today). I knew exactly one song from that playlist. :lol: But man, Zoots Rocks was right up my alley. Love that alternative rock sound. Probably my favorite of the bunch so far. Flowed really well and flew by, expecially the first half. Highlights were Stardust Remedy, Balentine, Harness Your Hopes and Blame, Etc. which was the one song I knew.

Zoots Grooves was also enjoyable. The first few songs weren't my favorites but it got better after that. Hard to pick highlights but it was a very good overal listening experience with a good flow.

Nice to hear! I'm always glad to turn more people onto Bettie Serveert, a fantastic Dutch band who have been around for 20 years and just put out a very energetic new album a few months back. Ballentine is from their first album Palomine, which was fairly popular on college radio back in the day due to them being on Matador Records.

Laz's list is probably the best i've listened to, two great sides, but eclectic and interesting the whole way through plus lots of new stuff for me to. Bettie Serveert were great, even the wee Shudder to Think tune. The 90's were a great time. Zoot Rocks just rocks :rockon:

Zoots Grooves is also excellent, it's just a very cool set of tunes that I greatly enjoyed. Great stuff Laz.

Alright, finally, finally getting to my reviews of these lists.

I absolutely loved PhilsFan's list. I liked nearly every song I heard, even from acts I didn't know. Despite the wide variety of genres, I thought the flow was fantastic. Favorite segues were The National/U2 and REM/Lykke Li. Excellent job.

LemonMelon's list had a ton of great classic rock, even though I wasn't a fan of some of those acts, like Dylan or Tom Petty. The alternative/indie bands mixed in kept it feeling fresh though. I thought the U2/Pulp/Arcade Fire segment was absolutely brilliant too.

Finally finished this batch with Pfan's list today. Was totally different than the last few lists because I actually knew most songs here. The flow was indeed very good and I liked almost every track. Thanks for reminding me Vomit is awesome. As for songs I didn't know, I really enjoyed the Father John Misty and Dum Dum Girls songs. My only real criticism (and this can be said of many lists, including my own) is that the playlist didn't really have an overal theme or something that binds it all together. I noticed with the last few lists I've heard that I do like that.

Hey guys I'm out of town so haven't been posting... thanks for listening to my list and commenting, for those who did. I will get back to listening after I'm back. :)

Finally got a chance to hear PFan's list, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It's remarkably close to my own tastes, which made it easier to dig everything. A couple of artists that I didn't know and will try to check out are Sun Airway (I read they are from Philly?) and Twin Shadows. Five Seconds was a really good song. My favorite sequences were Animal Collective through Arcade Fire, and the final 4-5 songs (especially Country Feedback). Great job putting it together.

So...starting Peef's list...I had no idea the Bulls intro song was an Alan Parson's Project track. That seems random as fuck.

Almost done with the first disc, and I've basically enjoyed every single song on here. Really impressed with the Sun Airway track. Think I might enjoy them if I heard more?

There's a part in "Gypsy Biker" that I always forget I could put in that Favorite Moments in Songs thread: The bit where he says "You asked me that question/I didn't get it right". Something about the delivery just kills me.

The flow on this has been really good too. Liked the transition between the opening duo a great deal.

Padj's list is pretty cool flow-wise, and we share a common love for Noir Désir. :up:

padj's list reminded me that i don't listen to shoegazey stuff cos it puts me to sleep. most unexpected highlight was the eno song, though. and the noir desir sog, but probably only because it wasn't in english. pinback and the shins were the only ones i particularly liked going into it, though, so this was going to be tough to sell this list to me from the start (especially since tame impala and deerhunter).

I remember a friend playing some Noir Desir stuff for me ten years ago when we were in France, so it was nice to hear that pop up.

I once read something about the frontman beating his girlfriend to death? Crazy shit. Makes the guy from Surfer Blood look like a real catch.

Yeah, crazy shit indeed, he beat her into a coma and she died shortly after. I remember when that happened, I was like fourteen, and Noir Desir were big here in Italy (mainly for their hit Le Vent Nous Portera). I felt ashamed I enjoyed their music and couldn't listen to it for years.

Got to Peef's and El-Mel's recently and, unsurprisingly, dug them both a lot. Pfan's covers a fair amount of recent rock/alternative ground that I've been into as of late, configures it into a solid mix that works on solo car rides, intimate settings, and passes the Passenger Test - meaning that no car passenger demands that I change it. The Girls-to-EMA stretch is heavenly and the Lykki Li track is one of my favorite discovered gems of the tourney thus far.

El-Mel blends a revisionist take on A.M. Rock -- and believe me, I'm with you there -- with a deft blend of other pop/rock acts. The sea-faring and thunderous Wilco-to-The Jam stretch sounded even better than it looked at first glance; also dug the Wes Anderson-y double dose of Vince Guaraldi and Sufjan at the end. Flying Burrito Bros. take the "discovered gem" title for me.

Back
Top Bottom