Desert Island IX: Master List, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One final word on gump's list: Wow I really loved that final track from Wilco! :love: And even the one before that, Carolina was nice. Yeah, definitely liked your second half better.

I loved that me and gump both used a couple of the same songs. Carolina is pretty fantastic, although it took me a couple years to really click with it.

I was really happy to see it in your list too. And it took me a while to pay attention to it (or anything from Broken Dreams Club, really). I think it was their live show that made me go back to the EP.

Just finished with Joey's playlist, and enjoyed it a great deal. I agree that it flows really well. The Modern Man up to Don't Call Me a Liar sequence in particular stood out. I also liked the ending of the second disc (17 Summers -> Give Up The Ghost -> Dead Nature, which reminds me I need to listen to this Savages album more often), as well as your choice of two relatively serene openers for each disc. I sometimes felt that a little more genre diversity could help, but as Ashley I dig most of these songs and styles, so I'm not complaining. Great job.

iYup is next.

I need to come up with a way to rank all of these lists. Anyone have any ideas (apart from the uber-detailed method that tourist described?)

Joey's files seem to be haphazard and not in order. :scream:

Now I understand how much more convenient it is for the listener when everything is ordered and presented as its own album!

Which is why I'm enjoying compiling the lists on Grooveshark :drool:

Joey, loved the second half. Was a bit sad that four of the songs were by the same two artists, but they all worked, and I liked the instrumentals you used as bridges. Reznor into Moon and Moon was especially good.

Two great lists to start things off with!

I'm about a third of the way through nielsgov's list and at this point I can't help but think this album would probably connect with me more if it was winter. It's just got this really icy feel to it. The flow is absolutely fantastic. Also, I'd never heard that song by Bjork before (as I'm not really a fan of Bjork) and I liked it pretty well. The only version I'd heard of it before was by 30 Seconds To Mars, who covered it. Up to this point, I'd have to say the artist I need to listen to more of here is Liars. I listened to one of their albums once and never revisited it. But now I really think I need to revisit them in general.

Alright, there was a section in there that I really loved from When You Sleep through Climbing Up The Walls. The transition from When You Sleep to Operation was pretty jarring, but Operation is one of my favorite Deerhunter songs, so mad bonus points for including it. The Cure song is just starting and I'm not sure I've heard it before. Promising!

Final thoughts: I think the second half of your list was much better than the first half in regard to my personal enjoyment of the songs. The flow overall was superb (only hitch was what I mentioned before). Great overall list! :up:

Gump and bono_212, glad to hear you enjoyed it! I was worried that it would wind up getting a little too samey at some points, but I'm happy to hear it flowed well.

Also, sorry about the haphazard order. My internet connection has not been great lately so I didn't have a chance to upload one that was in the correct sequence.

As for my listening, I'm about a third through tourist's list and I'm really enjoying it so far, especially how well some of the odd-at-first-glance transitions go. I like how well The Kinks slide into that 21st century indie opener and I thought the Temptations went great into Lupe. Looking forward to the rest!

Final thoughts: I think the second half of your list was much better than the first half in regard to my personal enjoyment of the songs. The flow overall was superb (only hitch was what I mentioned before). Great overall list! :up:
Thanks. I also didn't like the transition to Operation but that's a damn hard song to segue to and I really wanted it in there. In the end I settled for one that wasn't horrible.

I also know it's a wintery playlist but that's just what I felt like making.

I've got a double one hour car ride today. Seems like an ideal time to listen to Gump's list. Judging from the songs I already know it's going to be good.

Joey 778: Tried to get into that Elbow album when it came out but found it boring, as I did the first half of The Birds. But the second was pretty spectacular. And it transitioned into a great St Vincent song I now wish I used. Was a bit indifferent to what came next, would have gone with a more upbeat song after Cruel than another slow builder. Really dug Depeche Mode. And Modern Man was another track I can't believe I forgot. High point of the list so far, terrific song. You've nailed most of the sequencing. Just realised Rome was the Lily of the Valley song... amazing. Top track. Jarring transition from The Beatles to Coldplay though - but I'm a bit of a transition nazi. From there to the end - lovely. I Need My Girl is amazing. Very impressed. Onto disc 2.

Joey 788: Thought Blur dragged on a bit to start disc 2 and I felt the same about the Danger Mouse song. But Gotye was pretty cool. To be honest, most of this stuff doesn't appeal to me. But as a whole it fits together and flows, which I can recognise. Bat for Lashes onwards I liked. All a bit too slow for my liking, even though I know that's what you were trying to do here. Have to say I much preferred disc one, but I enjoyed it, and respect the craftsmanship.

Just listened to Joey's disc 1. Here are some thoughts:

- The opening Elbow song I too found it a bit boring initially but halfway down it picked up and I liked it.

- Could not really get into St. Vincent's Cruel at all.

- The flow in this section thru' Metric, Interpol and DM was good though.

- That DM track for some reason I kept thinking this ending doesn't sound like the one on the album :scratch: and then it turned out that I was thinking about Judas' ending, lol. Anyway, cool track though not my top fav from SOFAD.

- TV On The Radio was interesting and I think I liked the Arcade Fire track.

- Beck was okay. I quite liked the Danger Mouse/Norah Jones track.

- Florence was cool. And so was Joy Formidable.

- Beatles into Coldplay I have to agree that the flow was a bit odd. :lol: Maybe it's cos everyone automatically expects the upbeat Mr. Kite to follow She's Leaving Home.

- The National track was interesting and went quite well with the REM classic.

Good first disc! :up:

iYup - I just had loads of fun listening to your playlist. Lots of songs I had not heard in a while, and that will make me want to go back to those albums/artists soon. The sequence from Kiss to Bizarre Love Triangle was probably my favorite, but so was the final five or six songs (especially Shell of Light through Enjoy The Silence). The sequencing was very smooth, one can see that you spent a lot of time working those out.

It was a really great companion to my saturday morning and helped give me some energy while I was assembling some Ikea furniture.

- Could not really get into St. Vincent's Cruel at all.

:grumpy:

iYup - I just had loads of fun listening to your playlist. Lots of songs I had not heard in a while, and that will make me want to go back to those albums/artists soon. The sequence from Kiss to Bizarre Love Triangle was probably my favorite, but so was the final five or six songs (especially Shell of Light through Enjoy The Silence). The sequencing was very smooth, one can see that you spent a lot of time working those out.

It was a really great companion to my saturday morning and helped give me some energy while I was assembling some Ikea furniture.

Thanks, man. Glad you enjoyed it. I tried fitting that Actress track into the list in about five different sports, just because I have always found it entrancing.

Continuing with Joey's disc 2...

- Star Eyes was okay.

- Lazy Poltergeist was very nice and flowed well into the lovely Porcupine Tree track.

- Nine Inch Nails... had to listen to it again to remember it.. not bad.

- Bat For Lashes was nice. First time I'm listening to her but have been meaning to check her out.

- Stay is of course a classic!

- The next few tracks were okay but I need more listens to really appreciate.

- The flow has been pretty damn good so far.

- The Radiohead song is alright but not my favourite from Limbs. But it has great atmosphere just like the closer from Steven Wilson which was quite beautiful.

- Didn't fully understand the need for that piece by Savages though. Sounded like their equivalent of Viva Davidoff. :p

Overall, I think I enjoyed your playlist quite a bit! :up:

:shifty: now I'm thinking I should cut that nine inch nails song out of my list since its been used already. Of course, had I not been slacking, i wouldn't have known this and we would have just had quite an amusing coincidence. Ah well, I'm probably the only person in the history of forever who thought it fit well after the song that precedes it anyway.

Hey man, be patient with me! :wink: I have what you may consider a slightly old-fashioned taste. And one listen is usually not enough for me to appreciate something completely new and different.

Of course. Let it be noted, though, that the album that track comes from, Strange Mercy, is one of the finest of the last few years.

Saying bad things about Annie Clark should be a criminal offense.

I finally got to sit down and listen to Joey's list. Well done. Good flow and good songs. The transition from 17 Summers to Give Up the Ghost in particular stood out as a good one. There was a notable shift between the first and second parts, and while they both made sense as standalones, the whole list also works together well. It never dragged anywhere, despite the pretty consistent mid-tempo pace. Great start to the tournament.

Update: 14/20 playlists are in right now, and I've already got group 2 set in place. I think I may run this until sometime late next week before starting the next thread up, but I just wanted to let you guys know how far along things are.

Back
Top Bottom