Desert Island IX: Master List, Part Four

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright, just finished Bonnie's list.

Good list although there was some stuff I definitely did not enjoy as much. Lots of songs I'd heard before that I love ("Flashing Lights", "Arcade Blues", "Why Won't They Talk To Me?", "Strangers In The Wind", "This Is The Last Time"), a few songs I was hearing for the first time that I liked a lot ("The Streets Will Never Look The Same" and "Brothers" being two examples), some stuff I've heard before that I like ("Die", "Ten Years Gone", "Never Matter", "Evil"). The stuff I generally wasn't a fan of were the rap portions although I did call that one dude who seems to change his stage name according to wikipedia being the guy from "Clint Eastwood", which I thought was pretty rad. Also some of the electronica stuff sometimes loses me.

The flow was very good throughout, though. I think as a whole in this tournament, flow has been some of the best I've encountered as a cohesive desert island unit.

Anyway, good stuff. I'll really have to check out The War On Drugs and Chromatics.

Next up will be Mr. V.

IWB

Gotta say, I loved this. The songs rocked and your playlist title is hilarious. I particularly enjoyed the start with the first five or so songs, liked the inclusion of Barenaked Ladies and the Bosstones in the middle of it, and thought the ending from DM to NIN was fantastic. Easily the best playlist you've done so far, as far as I'm concerned. Woke me up on my drive to work this morning and had me laughing out loud at times - just what I needed to start the day.

LMP

You certainly covered a lot of ground with this one...

Loved the start. I actually hadn't heard Bagboy yet, and thought it was great. Moving further down, great Prince choice, Strokin' is an all-time classic, and Bound 2 is one of my faves from Yeezus, although the other hip hop selections were a bit hit or miss for me. Also, and I think someone else mentioned it, the transitions seemed to be a bit choppy at times, but I don't think that was a major priority for you here anyway.

For Part 2, I will say going from TV Girl to Washed Out sounded very cool. And there was a nice mix of older stuff with songs of a more recent vintage. Probably no surprise that I liked the inclusion of Wild Wild Life and Modern Love.

Tourist mentioned the sound quality variations previously, and it was noticeable in spots. In particular, Sleigh Bells seemed a bit off - what was your source for that one? Because I have the CD ripped onto my iPod and it doesn't sound nearly as distorted as what was on here. That isn't a critique or anything, just a curious observation.

So because you had so much on here, there were still a majority of songs I dug, but of course it also left room for other tracks that I didn't care for as much. I think neils mentioned eclectic, and I'd certainly agree with that.

Always good to have you included with DI. I never know what to expect from you, and that keeps it refreshing...

IWB

Gotta say, I loved this. The songs rocked and your playlist title is hilarious. I particularly enjoyed the start with the first five or so songs, liked the inclusion of Barenaked Ladies and the Bosstones in the middle of it, and thought the ending from DM to NIN was fantastic. Easily the best playlist you've done so far, as far as I'm concerned. Woke me up on my drive to work this morning and had me laughing out loud at times - just what I needed to start the day.

Wow, wasn't expecting this. Thanks!

LMP You certainly covered a lot of ground with this one... Loved the start. I actually hadn't heard Bagboy yet, and thought it was great. Moving further down, great Prince choice, Strokin' is an all-time classic, and Bound 2 is one of my faves from Yeezus, although the other hip hop selections were a bit hit or miss for me. Also, and I think someone else mentioned it, the transitions seemed to be a bit choppy at times, but I don't think that was a major priority for you here anyway. For Part 2, I will say going from TV Girl to Washed Out sounded very cool. And there was a nice mix of older stuff with songs of a more recent vintage. Probably no surprise that I liked the inclusion of Wild Wild Life and Modern Love. Tourist mentioned the sound quality variations previously, and it was noticeable in spots. In particular, Sleigh Bells seemed a bit off - what was your source for that one? Because I have the CD ripped onto my iPod and it doesn't sound nearly as distorted as what was on here. That isn't a critique or anything, just a curious observation. So because you had so much on here, there were still a majority of songs I dug, but of course it also left room for other tracks that I didn't care for as much. I think neils mentioned eclectic, and I'd certainly agree with that. Always good to have you included with DI. I never know what to expect from you, and that keeps it refreshing...

Sleigh Bells may have been a download from a while back. I had assumed the distortion was part of the production. I have a bit of a tin ear when it comes to audio disparity, which also can be attributed to not having a pair of high quality headphones like I used to in the past.

I appreciate the write-up!

I've been experimenting a lot with different mixtapes lately and have come to find out this site and contest place far greater emphasis on individual transitions. It puts a lot of pressure to stick to either one particular style or theme over a period, and like you mentioned, doesn't particularly jive with me at the moment. A lot of lists do a far greater job of that in a shorter period -- fantastic work.

Is it safe to assume that not many folks in particular dug the hip-hop portion too much? Figured it going in, but am still curious to know for sure.

Is it safe to assume that not many folks in particular dug the hip-hop portion too much? Figured it going in, but am still curious to know for sure.

For what it's worth, I liked Kanye, Wiz, and Kendrick Lamar.

djerdap

Certainly one of the more unique entries in the history of DI.

I think neils mentioned post-rock previously in regards to the first part, but I didn't get that vibe. Are these really post-rock artists? Cuz I generally love post-rock, and they sounded more like standard hard rock to me.

I liked the first song the best out of this group (not counting Sigur Rós), and also enjoyed Nebo. Obviously Untitled #8 is fantastic; always nice to see some love for (). The rest didn't stand out as much.

My other favorite part of this playlist were the last two songs of Disc 2. Narko in particular was awesome. The rest was actually quite interesting and entertaining, although it probably won't be something I go back to often. Very cool entry though - the best part of DI is always learning about different types of music and hearing new things. Certainly got that here.

Is there an update on when these are now officially due? Looking forward to the results.

I have received 12 of 19 rankings. Everyone who I still need rankings from has received notification from me either by PM or email. The goal is to have the results thread up by Monday night, so make sure you have your lists in by Sunday night.

Well, LMP, you definitely beat me at my own game on the first part of your playlist. That carefree vibe is exactly what I was going for in the first part of mine.

Oh yes, the first part of your playlist was really fantastic. Carefree is a great way to describe it - I had been thinking about a good adjective for it myself.

Will post more thoughts later.

The Sad Punk

Nice list, Bonnie. Hadn't heard any of the first few songs and really liked all of them. The hip hop selections were a bit uneven for me. For example, Reagan is excellent, but I could have done without The Full Retard. Great track with Deltron 3030, and of course Kanye is Kanye - never a bad thing there.

From Flashing Lights to the end was probably my favorite part, and I don't even care for Flaming Lips or Bowie, but those are two songs I like. And this is the second DI appearance for Phosphorescent, who is apparently an artist I need to hear more of. Absolutely loved this song.

Great listen.

Is there something I am doing wrong with the Rapidshare files? They are all saying that the archives are less than one megabyte. Anyone else have problems with that site?

Ashley is pushing to get her list in tonight, and when she does, I'll just need three more: Bonnie, Peef and Mr. V. Since I'm letting Ashley be a little late, I would be a dick to not allow the same room to everyone else. Just know that I'm going to start the results thread tomorrow afternoon/early evening.

IWB:

I don't know what else to say, except I hope you never stop being you. I'm going to take this playlist with me to the gym for the rest of forever. I think Far From Finished had my favorite song on here.

I like that I ended up actually knowing like 3 songs on this bad boy, too, lol. Surprised to say that one of them was NOT "How Many Friends", but that song was absolutely fantastic.

Bonnie:

Love this. Didn't expect less than something this groovy from you.

Was surprised by how well some of this flowed, too. Never Matter > Max Tundra was a little rough, but after that, it was all pretty smooth (There are moments that prove me wrong, but I've never been a stickler for flow, really, so I could almost care less. Not to say lists that flow don't have a great playlist quality to them…they DO). Wasn't expecting Neon Indian and El-P to gel as well as they did. Man, though, the beat and flow on that track are sick, but I am never going to like Reagan. What year does Killer Mike think it is?

I have heard soooo much about Bobby Womack, but never a note of his music...not what I was expecting at all. This is something I definitely need to hear more of. Also, Tame Impala track I like :heart: And hot damn, Dalek sounds like something that would be right up my alley.

From Dalek until about James Blake, I'd say, was one of my favorite sections in this whole DI and honestly, this is my favorite list of yours in any DI (not sure how many you've done, but I remember at LEAST one other one), so really, really, awesome stuff. Thank you so much for sharing :), had the stupidest grin on my face listening to Brothers after Phosphorescent.

Djerdap:

Well, I managed to still know one song on this list, so I'm proud of that, I suppose. Really great music though. Urban & 4 sounded a lot like 90s U2, Let 3 reminded me of a heavier Nick Cave.
Also, I love how BIG a lot of these opening songs are. Film wasn't so much and the sound tapered off around Haustor, but before that, there was some really huge, cinematic stuff going on, loved it.

I see you even have a nice little 80sesque song on here, with Frida. Loved that one! Almost feels, towards the end here, like your list and IWBs almost should consider being friend. You know, just hanging out once in a while, whatever, it's cool.

I always appreciate having at least one or two lists like this in each DI, because, let's face it, sometimes people can be not so good about hearing music from countries outside of their own. So, thank you for this musical experience. Clearly there's a whole world of music out there to explore, I'm glad to have had a small taste here.

Jake:
First, and foremost, I'm so glad you're back :). DI just isn't the same without you. Now then, to the music.

Really surprised you put Bagboy on here. Not that I dislike the song as much as some, but I'm surprised, with…all of the other songs in the universe…you went with that one.

For what it's worth, there isn't a lot of flow on this list, or the transitions, at least, are lacking, but all the same, I've felt a very fine thread holding things together pretty well. It's just a few random things, like Sam Cooke in the middle of what was a predominately Hip Hop section that kinda made me do a double-take. Transition into J Dilla, however, was dope as hell.

Of all of the songs I knew on Purple Rain before I heard the album, Baby I'm a Star has really been the only song that I didn't know that has stuck with me since then as a favorite. I was quite fond of that whole bit from Brazillian Girls > J Dilla.

Feel It All Around is a great song, by what is, really, a great band. Also, Wild Wild Life <3.

Jake, great list. It ends very strong. Probably not up there with your greatest, but those are mighty big shoes to fill and I'm guessing you do this more for fun now, than anything else, which is great. Incidentally, it's also exactly what this list was. Great stuff!

Oh, I forgot to mention...I'm not sure why I already knew the song "Strokin'", but I most certainly had not heard it in a long, long time. Thank you, Jake, for bringing that back into my life.

Thanks, 212er, definitely appreciate your comments. Now I feel bad for not doing write ups for most lists. Djerdap for instance has no idea that i even listened to his list, let alone ranked it very highly. I mean, I know I still [/i]can[/i] although I'm at work at the moment on my phone. But later, yes.

Glad you dug the FFF song, I friggin love that song, love the album it comes from, loved their second album, and hate what happened to them by the third. But there was definitely a time where in the narrow genre of Boston-area punk rock n roll, they were my favorite.

It was hit or miss for me. I just don't like Kendrick, for one. But, I think it probably was about even with songs I liked vs. songs I didn't.

Phosphorescent, who is apparently an artist I need to hear more of. Absolutely loved this song.

YESsSsssss :love:

Phosphorescent - "Ride On / Right On" - Pitchfork Music Festival 2013 - YouTube

Thanks, 212er, definitely appreciate your comments. Now I feel bad for not doing write ups for most lists. Djerdap for instance has no idea that i even listened to his list, let alone ranked it very highly. I mean, I know I still [/i]can[/i] although I'm at work at the moment on my phone. But later, yes.

I would have felt horrible if I hadn't. It's just how I am. I don't expect everyone to do it, but I like the discussion the write-ups tend to bring.

I would have felt horrible if I hadn't. It's just how I am. I don't expect everyone to do it, but I like the discussion the write-ups tend to bring.

The last two I participated in, I made sure to do so. This time, I really slacked off and most of my comments were bitchfests about how tired I am of shoegazey type stuff/hate tame impala. Which is sort of lame, because even though it's just a silly game on the Internet, I've always taken playlist/mix tape making way more seriously than most normal people would, and playing a game of making such lists with equally abnormal people is one of the good things about this place. Not to get all mushy or anything. I don't expect my list to ever rank very high, but it is cool to hear when people enjoy things about it (or specifically what they enjoy about it) when I generally expect my favorite kinds of songs to go down like lead balloons. So I figure well, I'm sure everyone else wants to hear from as many people about what was liked on their lists...and I can hate on stuff pretty easily, but there's always a fair amount of music I hear from this place that I like way more than I dislike.

Although I guess if I can type a post that long on my phone, I really don't have any excuses. It took like 10 minutes though. Ugh.

Haha, I hear you, about the phone.

Really I love being able to share these playlists with you all. I've spent so much of my life making them, to actually have people to share them with is a treat feeling, and the feedback is a nice bonus.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! It's pretty cool some of you dig some of those songs, since those are the songs and bands that I grew up with (along with the usual suspects like U2, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Pixies, Alice in Chains, Radiohead, Depeche Mode, Sonic Youth and The Cure) and still belong to my favorites.

And I ranked your list pretty high as well IWR. But I'm a lazy fuck to do write-ups.

That was what I liked about doing a radio show when I was in college. Unfortunately after 3 and a half years it got to be a little more like work week after week, and then there was some bullshit politics involved that got me moved to a different time slot (and another incident where I got suspended for a couple weeks) and crap. But at times, that was a lot of fun when people like mofo and yertle and the randoooom crew and testje folks would stream it on the station's website. To this day, I would put money on that I am the only former umass dj to ever get a phone call from Singapore during their show.

Jake: First, and foremost, I'm so glad you're back :). DI just isn't the same without you. Now then, to the music. Really surprised you put Bagboy on here. Not that I dislike the song as much as some, but I'm surprised, with…all of the other songs in the universe…you went with that one. For what it's worth, there isn't a lot of flow on this list, or the transitions, at least, are lacking, but all the same, I've felt a very fine thread holding things together pretty well. It's just a few random things, like Sam Cooke in the middle of what was a predominately Hip Hop section that kinda made me do a double-take. Transition into J Dilla, however, was dope as hell. Of all of the songs I knew on Purple Rain before I heard the album, Baby I'm a Star has really been the only song that I didn't know that has stuck with me since then as a favorite. I was quite fond of that whole bit from Brazillian Girls > J Dilla. Feel It All Around is a great song, by what is, really, a great band. Also, Wild Wild Life <3. Jake, great list. It ends very strong. Probably not up there with your greatest, but those are mighty big shoes to fill and I'm guessing you do this more for fun now, than anything else, which is great. Incidentally, it's also exactly what this list was. Great stuff!

Thanks for the kind words, Ash.

I mentioned earlier that I'm not too crazy about making specific lead-ins to every track. There are a few there and I do believe that each half is of a piece, but yeah, I see where you're coming from.

Transitions aren't a priority to me, as I'm sure i've mentioned before, because, outside of this competition...I ALWAYS use crossfade :shifty:

Transitions aren't a priority to me, as I'm sure i've mentioned before, because, outside of this competition...I ALWAYS use crossfade :shifty:

I used it around the time I made my first two lists, I believe. Hell, it's how radio sets are mixed who why not do it personally?

Back
Top Bottom