Depeche Mode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's face it, the period of Some Great Reward through Songs of Faith & Devotion is some of arguably the best music ever made by human beings who play electronic instruments.

Agreed. For a quite a while there DM was in my top 4 with U2, REM and the Smiths

I've never got round to listening to Depeche Mode properly, what album should I start with?

Many will say Violator because it was their biggest-selling album, but it's a little downbeat, a little quieter IMO. I think Music For The Masses is a little more accessible and energetic, and broke them out to a larger audience before they really hit the big time, reaching #35 on the Billboard 200 (Violator would make it to #7).

Plus, Never Let Me Down is one of the best album openers of the decade.

Never Let Me Down Again is one of my favorite tracks by any band ever

Songs of Faith and Devotion is a pretty good starting point too. The opening trio of I Feel You, Walking In My Shoes and Condemnation is massive.

Songs of ... was a bit of a departure for them I'd say make that a second or third, I actually was introduced to DM through 101, it's a great live album and covers a nice portion of their first few albums.

Songs of Faith and Devotion is a pretty good starting point too. The opening trio of I Feel You, Walking In My Shoes and Condemnation is massive.

Songs of ... was a bit of a departure for them I'd say make that a second or third, I actually was introduced to DM through 101, it's a great live album and covers a nice portion of their first few albums.

Yeah, Songs is my second favorite after MFTM but I don't think it's representative enough to be a good intro album. Would be a little misleading.

101 is amazing. I didn't even think of that. Would be weird to listen to a live album first but not a total Cobbler move.

Yeah, that song is an absolute monster. Maybe my favorite from them. Album wise, I'm still partial to Violator, which has a hell of a foreboding atmosphere to complement the parade of great songs.

Many will say Violator because it was their biggest-selling album, but it's a little downbeat, a little quieter IMO. I think Music For The Masses is a little more accessible and energetic, and broke them out to a larger audience before they really hit the big time, reaching #35 on the Billboard 200 (Violator would make it to #7).

Plus, Never Let Me Down is one of the best album openers of the decade.

Cool, thanks guys, will start with Music, then get to Songs Of... and Violator at some stage, I imagine. :up:

It's probably my favorite DM song.

But as just a recently converted fan myself (like right after Delta Machine came out, although not all cobblerish because of that album. I like it well enough, but it was more like "hmmm i need to look into this band" rather than hearing a new album making me into a fan...but i digress), Songs of Faith and Devotion did a pretty good job on selling the band for me.

What I don't understand is why they still refuse to play people are people. I did hear that they got tired of it after playing a ton during the entire. I have only seen them once on the touring the Angel tour. Anyone know who is opening for them?

Corbijn shared images from the album artwork/photography on his instragram account.

Looks amazing, at least he's still doing awesome stuff with one of his longtime collaborators.

What I don't understand is why they still refuse to play people are people. I did hear that they got tired of it after playing a ton during the entire. I have only seen them once on the touring the Angel tour. Anyone know who is opening for them?

They've said some time ago they don't like the song, it hasn't been played since the Masses tour

But I just wish that opinion would change. The masses tour was almost thirty years ago. Plus I was 4. I want to hear it live.

But I just wish that opinion would change. The masses tour was almost thirty years ago. Plus I was 4. I want to hear it live.

I'd love to hear it as well, along with New Life but it isn't going to happen

They rarely go further back than 1986 on setlists- although since they didn't do it last time I would imagine Everything Counts will be on the setlist this time. Other than that it will be the usual suzpects

I'd love to hear it as well, along with New Life but it isn't going to happen

They rarely go further back than 1986 on setlists- although since they didn't do it last time I would imagine Everything Counts will be on the setlist this time. Other than that it will be the usual suzpects

I guess it makes you grateful that U2 digs into their early stuff.

So this thread has been around a long time, 8 years, and I'm noticing less excitement for their new album. I've bought their last three albums and haven't been disappointed.

My depeche mode journey started with playing the angel then saw the touring the angel tour. Then I borrowed the singles 86-98 and bought 81-85. Then the remastered versions of some great reward and violator. I've been listening to songs of faith and devotion and home. What should I get next?

Activity on this board as a whole has decreased noticeably over the years.

Back
Top Bottom