Davy Jones -- RIP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hipster pun, courtesy of rateyourmusic:

THIS MONKEE'S GONE TO HEAVEN

I feel reeeeeeeeally bad for chuckling a bit at that :reject:.

Wow. I didn't know that. That's pretty cool.

My sister just called me a while ago to see if my mom was home from work (she's not yet) and if she knew of this news. I don't know if she does or not, but if not, I'm not looking forward to breaking the news. Davy was one of her favorite members of the group (the other being Mickey). I always liked the guy, too-used to laugh at him on the TV show all the time and such.

Man. What a shock. So sad. Rest in peace, Davy.

A really Beautiful Message

https://www.facebook.com/#!/michaelnesmith/posts/10150642506705116

Michael Nesmith

All the lovely people. Where do they all come from?

So many lovely and heartfelt messages of condolence and sympathy, I don’t know what to say, except my sincere thank you to all. I share and appreciate your feelings.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves here.

While it is jarring, and sometimes seems unjust, or strange, this transition we call dying and death is a constant in the mortal experience that we know almost nothing about. I am of the mind that it is a transition and I carry with me a certainty of the continuity of existence. While I don’t exactly know what happens in these times, there is an ongoing sense of life that reaches in my mind out far beyond the near horizons of mortality and into the reaches of infinity.

That David has stepped beyond my view causes me the sadness that it does many of you. I will miss him, but I won’t abandon him to mortality. I will think of him as existing within the animating life that insures existence. I will think of him and his family with that gentle regard in spite of all the contrary appearances on the mortal plane.

David’s spirit and soul live well in my heart, among all the lovely people, who remember with me the good times, and the healing times, that were created for so many, including us.

I have fond memories. I wish him safe travels.

I must tell you, I've been in a deep funk all day.....

I was born in Canada and there were two shows that were integral parts of my childhood - one was Dark Shadows and the other was "The Monkees". My memories consist of listening to the albums in our basement at home when I was 6 and 7 years old. Those were incredibly happy times for me and now that I am past 50 I realize that the people I "grew up" with will slowly fade away - which brings home my own mortality. I'm unbelievably sad at Davey's passing but I'm happy that I was privileged to still have my memories and that I was lucky enough to enjoy The Monkees as they were happening. Rest in peace Davey and thanks for the wonderful memories. We'll never forget you.

Here's an interesting analysis....

Why we grieve teen idols: A tribute to Davy Jones - CNN.com

I had the honor of interviewing him on my show - He was a great talent and will be misses dearly - I'm only 26 and own every Monkees album (including the Missing Links)

Me too. I remember watching those reruns when I was really young, probably before I even started school. The Monkees was probably my first favorite tv show.

RIP Davy.

Same here too. I had to be about 4 or 5 when they were on. The theme song was burned into my brain. The little things always made me laugh. Like when they would do stuff in fast motion or when Mickey would make a goofy face.

Plus, of course, I remember when Davy was on The Brady Bunch. Good times.

I had the honor of interviewing him on my show - He was a great talent and will be misses dearly - I'm only 26 and own every Monkees album (including the Missing Links)

Oh, how neat.

I too definitely remember watching the TV show when I was little. MTV used to show the reruns a lot when the Monkees had their big comeback of sorts in the '80s, and so I'd curl up with my mom and watch the show and listen to the songs and everything. I think "Daydream Believer" was the first song of theirs I ever heard. And talk of the "Brady Bunch"-Davy, Mickey, and Peter all made really entertaining cameos in the movie based off that show that came out in the '90s.

I like that CNN link. I think the line in there about losing a part of your childhood is true, as is the bit about how my generation will one day reminisce about the teenyboppers of our era (which is really strange to think about).

I also found an article on NPR today suggesting the Monkees finally being inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. They put out a good case, and it's something my mom's been saying for years :D. It'd be sad to think Davy's passing might finally be what would let that happen.

It really is bizarre to realize he's gone. Just doesn't click.

Back
Top Bottom