David Bowie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly, I know. I can almost understand not liking the band's recent material and still being obsessed enough to participate on a site devoted the the band.

But not even giving the music a full, fair listen?

Oh for god's sake. I said I haven't, to this day, listened to NLOTH in its entirety. They had their chance with the two albums prior. I have however, heard a good two thirds of it at various points, and the songs I liked I kept. Some are interesting, but far from their best.

Now if you catch me posting in the, you know, U2 parts of this U2 forum, then you can call the church police on me.

Anyhow, my bad introducing this little detour. I enjoyed The Stars Are Out Tonight.

StayOnTopic.gif

Oh for god's sake. I said I haven't, to this day, listened to NLOTH in its entirety. They had their chance with the two albums prior. I have however, heard a good two thirds of it at various points, and the songs I liked I kept. Some are interesting, but far from their best.

Now if you catch me posting in the, you know, U2 parts of this U2 forum, then you can call the church police on me.

Anyhow, my bad introducing this little detour. I enjoyed The Stars Are Out Tonight.

So if you liked a couple songs, why not listen to the rest of it?

As I said, I can understand people not liking the new stuff and remaining here, but if you were into the band enough at some point in the past to become an active member of a forum, spending numerous hours here over the years, I wouldn't think the 50 min required to hear an album by them as some kind of difficult task.

So if you liked a couple songs, why not listen to the rest of it?

As I said, I can understand people not liking the new stuff and remaining here, but if you were into the band enough at some point in the past to become an active member of a forum, spending numerous hours here over the years, I wouldn't think the 50 min required to hear an album by them as some kind of difficult task.

Because I've heard nothing but bad things about the third of the record that I never downloaded. Because HTDAAB left such a bad taste in my mouth that yes, it is kind of a chore wading through their new stuff. And having recently had a look at some of those (the aforementioned Boots), I'm not sure the rumours were wrong.

I didn't listen to the whole last wilco album either. I downloaded the song I liked and left it at that. You know why? Because I felt like it.

I have to listen to the new U2 album to continue posting here? 'Here' being two subforums (this and FYM) that have absolutely nothing to do with the band?

Man, I've been staying out of here since last night because I thought you were all discussing this wonderful new album David Bowie gave us.

I see I was wrong.

Well, anyways, I finally got a chance to hear it, have done so about twice now (was writing up a knee-jerk reaction review for the blog so I went back and listened to most of the tracks I wasn't already super familiar with a few times). It's certainly not his best, but it's in the top ten of an already amazing catalog. I'm so glad the wait paid off so wonderfully.

My favorite song is probably "Dancing Out in Space", but the Title Track, "Where Are We Now" and "Love is Lost" are all fantastic, among others.

The only tracks I didn't outright like were "Valentine's Day" and "Boss of Me".

I have to listen to the new U2 album to continue posting here? 'Here' being two subforums (this and FYM) that have absolutely nothing to do with the band?

No one said you have to do anything.

Just as you're entitled to not listen what you don't want to listen to, I'm entitled to think it's odd, or whatever.

I think the new Bowie album is fantastic! Out of the 25 studio album he's given us, it's easily in the top ten.

I can't pick a weak song from the album, and if the other 9 studio albums didn't exist, you could argue that it's his best. It's certainly the best album of the year.

I distractedly listened to the iTunes stream once, but I'm going to wait until the official release to really give it a critical listen.

Yeah. It sagged a bit in the second half for me, much like the last two albums. Or most albums.

Will likely buy the CD next Tuesday, as it would be weird to have all of his albums on that format except this one.

There are a couple tracks too many and perhaps cutting those would benefit the second half. Either way, Dancing Out In Space and Heat are just fantastic. The two singles and the title track are my other favorites.

I haven't listened to this yet, but one of the local radio guys (remember the guy Billy Bob Thorton was an asshole to during an interview?) claims it's his best. A bold statement

No music video director is so important they should have a name credit at the beginning, even if you get Tilda Swinton to be in it.

Pretty obnoxious.

There's a guy I know who did the video for a semi-popular indie chick in Toronto. The whole outro of the song (a 3 or 4 minute song) starts with his "directed by" followed by a Thriller style credit roll. The most pretentious shit I've ever seen. And the video blows

(I hope you weren't implying a movie director is 'important' enough to slap their name on a music video though)

Just noticed Floria Sigismondi directed the video (I hadn't even heard the song up to this point). She's a pretty bad ass photographer. I found a used copy of one of photo books at a book store in Toronto a few months ago. She's my gf's favourite, so I gave it to her. Found out after it was signed :( Give it back!

Anyway, fucking cool song

I haven't listened to this yet, but one of the local radio guys (remember the guy Billy Bob Thorton was an asshole to during an interview?) claims it's his best. A bold statement

It is most definitely not and I think it's only the tenth of his I've heard.

I had a distracted listen as well and I too was a wee bit disappointed, but I'll keep listening and will buy it obviously. The two singles and Dancing Out in Space are my faves as well.

Just saw what the album cover looks like. Not sure how I feel about that, but it's an interesting choice.
Theres a video on Youtube for The Stars that has this weird Bowie-esque sculpture/bust that looks pretty cool. Thought that was the album cover

Saw some peeps shitting on Hours in here. That album had a few solid fucking tunes on it. Anyone remember the Rock mix of Thursday's Child? I can't find that shit anywhere. I used to have an mp3 way back when. Even the album version of that song is cool

For funzies and with next to no thought:

Station to Station
Low
Hunky Dory
Aladdin Sane
"Heroes"
Ziggy Stardust
Heathen
Young Americans
The Next Day
Diamond Dogs
The Man Who Sold the World
Scary Monsters
David Bowie (69)
Let's Dance
David Bowie (67)

I think The Next Day is Bowie's best since Scary Monsters, though I don't know his later-period stuff too well for that to be a definitive statement. My favorite songs after my initial listen are The Next Day, Dirty Boys, The Stars Are Out Tonight, Love is Lost and Dancing Out In Space.

Just noticed Floria Sigismondi directed the video (I hadn't even heard the song up to this point). She's a pretty bad ass photographer. I found a used copy of one of photo books at a book store in Toronto a few months ago. She's my gf's favourite, so I gave it to her. Found out after it was signed :( Give it back!

Anyway, fucking cool song

She directed The Cure's video for The End of the World, which is also pretty cool.

She directed The Cure's video for The End of the World, which is also pretty cool.

She's also done a lot of the freaky Marilyn Manson videos... actually, I have her book now too. I forgot my gf returned the favour when she found another at the same place a few weeks later.. unsigned.....pffff

Saw some peeps shitting on Hours in here. That album had a few solid fucking tunes on it. Anyone remember the Rock mix of Thursday's Child? I can't find that shit anywhere. I used to have an mp3 way back when. Even the album version of that song is cool

Thursday's Child is a great song. And as with Dylan, every Bowie album has at least a few standout songs.

But "Hours..." is just a weak fucking album, especially considering what came right before and after it.

For funzies and with next to no thought:

Station to Station
Low
Hunky Dory
Aladdin Sane
"Heroes"
Ziggy Stardust
Heathen
Young Americans
The Next Day
Diamond Dogs
The Man Who Sold the World
Scary Monsters
David Bowie (69)
Let's Dance
David Bowie (67)

You haven't heard Reality yet? Just gave that one another listen today. Bring Me The Disco King would have been a great song to end a career on. And I also love Fall Dog Bombs The Moon, She'll Drive The Big Car, and that glorious cover of George Harrison's Try Some, Buy Some.

There's maybe only one song on that album I don't care for. It's doesn't have the power of Heathen but it's quite consistent.

I forgot how fantastic Fall Dog Bombs the Moon is. Reality feels like a grab bag compared to Heathen, but most of it is highly listenable.

The Next Day does indeed crack my top 10:

1. Station to Station
2. Aladdin Sane
3. Low
4. Ziggy Stardust
5. The Man Who Sold the World
6. Hunky Dory
7. Heroes
8. Scary Monsters
9. The Next Day
10. Diamond Dogs or Heathen, need to spend more time with the latter

It's a tall order for this album to be better than Heathen, which I think is a damn fine album. I'll find out soon enough.

Yo, great album. Streamed it a few times. Maybe a bit samey in parts, but I need a few more listens.

So does anyone own the album yet? Or does it release everywhere on the 12th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom