David Bowie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This exchange between us is making my telescopic antennae nipples transmit data back to Earth.

Do you have one really freaky sequin space suit, man? Or do you have several ch-ch-ch-changes?

Do they smoke grass out in space, Bowie?

Or do they smoke astro-turf?

I think I saw Plainview in an ice cream parlor
Drinking milkshakes cold and long

In a recent Sunday Times the 20 most influential albums of all time were listed as:

The 20 most influential albums

1 The Velvet Underground, The Velvet Underground & Nico Hardly anybody bought it, as the saying goes, but everyone who did formed a band.

2 Beatles, Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band Created the idea of using the recording studio as an instrument.

3 David Bowie, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars The arrival of postmodernism in rock’s most glamorous self-fulfilling prophecy.

4 Patti Smith, Horses Pioneered vast new territories for women in popular music.

5 Beach Boys, Pet Sounds The instrumentation, the harmonies, the arrangements, the sheer ambition.

6 Beatles, Revolver Goodbye “pop group”, hello “rock band”.

7 The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Are You Experienced? Shaped our sonic world – the template for guitar heroes everywhere.

8 Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited How does it feel? Like a whole new world just opened up.

9 Public Enemy, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back Hip-hop comes of age.

10 Sex Pistols, Never Mind the Bollocks... Rendered the rock dinosaurs extinct (for a while).

11 Kraftwerk, Trans-Europe Express It sounded like the future then; eerily, it still does now.

12 Michael Jackson, Thriller The last quarter of a century of R&B starts here.

13 Nirvana, Nevermind Rendered the rock dinosaurs extinct (again).

14 NWA, Straight Outta Compton Created the template for gangsta rap.

15 Aretha Franklin, I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You A soul masterpiece, and an album whose anthems radiated out into the wider culture.

16 Ramones, Ramones Rock’s ultimate palate-cleanser. Generations of punks started here.

17 Marvin Gaye, What’s Going On Motown finds its social conscience.

18 The Flying Burrito Brothers, The Gilded Palace of Sin It was largely ignored at the time, but where would alt-country be without it?

19 Bob Marley and the Wailers, Live! Reggae goes global.

20 Joni Mitchell, Blue Searching for sensitive singer-songwriters? Here’s the source.

think I'd have placed #3 at #1, and most certainly have found room for LOW!

I got Station to Station today.

I enjoy everything thoroughly, though Word on a Wing not quite as much.

It changes from day to day. These aren't the 10 commandments. But maybe they are.

1. Beatles - Abbey Road
2. Radiohead - OK Computer
3. U2 - Zooropa
4. Steely Dan - Aja
5. Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy
6. Pink Floyd - Animals
7. David Bowie - Station To Station
8. Beck - Sea Change
9. The Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society
10. REM - Automatic For The People

I don't know why, but I'm liking Lodger more each time I hear it. I definitely like it better than Heroes, and while I recognize Low as the greater achievement, I find Lodger a more pleasurable listening experience. Yassassin!

Plus, no instrumentals.

I also just got a bootleg from the Reality tour that I need to check out.

lazarus said:
I don't know why, but I'm liking Lodger more each time I hear it. I definitely like it better than Heroes, and while I recognize Low as the greater achievement, I find Lodger a more pleasurable listening experience. Yassassin!

Plus, no instrumentals.

Lodger is easily the worst of the Berlin trilogy, imo.

And what's wrong with instrumentals?

Warszawa, Art Decade, etc :drool:

lazarus said:

Plus, no instrumentals.

Lodger is one of the few Bowie albums I haven't run into the ground yet, and I am savouring the slow process of working through it's songs over the next month or two :drool:

namkcuR said:

Lodger is easily the worst of the Berlin trilogy, imo.

And what's wrong with instrumentals?

Warszawa, Art Decade, etc :drool:

Instrumentals are fine but I'm less likely to want to hear them often.

What I like about Lodger is that it's the most rhythmically complex of the trilogy, and I like the African influence. The sound of the album isn't as insular and I guess it's more to my taste. Heroes has a couple standout tracks (the title song is obviously better than anything on Lodger) but I don't find it as consistent an LP.

I'm waiting on the Berlin trilogy. I want to finish going through the earlier albums and then do all of those at once.

I don't have David Bowie, Space Oddity, The Man Who Sold the World, Diamond Dogs, or Young Americans in whole. Are they all worth it?

David Bowie: No
Space Oddity: Yes, though it's a bit hippie at times.
MWSTW: Definitely
Diamond Dogs: Very underrated
Young Americans: Spotty, but worth it.

I <3 Young Americans since it combines two of my favourite things - Motown soul and David Bowie :love:

Can you hear me? :drool: :drool:

I have some tracks from each album. His debut seems meh, and if Space Oddity is similar to Hunky Dory, it's probably too folky for me.

Diamond Dogs seems to kick ass (sort of like Aladdin Sane) and Young Americans is nice.

Man Who Sold the World seems interesting to me.

When I Live My Dream is my favorite Pre-Hunky Dory song.

The Man Who Sold the World and Space Oddity are fairly similar, I like both of them.

Diamond Dogs is a little different, not in the way Aladdin Sane is, but it's good.

You can't go wrong with '70-'80 Bowie.

Man Who Sold the World is a mixed bag, but there are some good acoustic uptempo rockers on there. Very T. Rex-y on a couple of cuts, with a bit of Zeppelin.

I'm thinking Diamond Dogs will be the next one I buy. Then I'm not sure between Space Oddity and TMWSTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom