David Bowie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I'd bring this thread back....

when the current survivors have wound up, I move we hold a Bowie survivor. I mean he is the man.

Imagine doign Ziggy Stardust :drool:

"Let's Dance" plays at one point during the movie Charlie Wilson's War...I had to keep myself from squealing "That's "Let's Dance" by David Bowie!!!!" in the middle of the theater...:shifty:

You fuckers got me hooked. :wink:

I've finished Ziggy Stardust and am now on Hunky Dory. Then I'll probably get Space Oddity, then Alladin Sane, then Low, then Scary Monsters.

It's like legal drugs, man.

phillyfan26 said:
You fuckers got me hooked. :wink:

I've finished Ziggy Stardust and am now on Hunky Dory. Then I'll probably get Space Oddity, then Alladin Sane, then Low, then Scary Monsters.

It's like legal drugs, man.

Isn't it though? Bowie friggin rules. On a Low kick at the moment.

Rock 'n' Roll Suicide has been bouncing around my head for three days, constantly. I always have songs stuck in my head, but usually it changes every couple of hours. I think it's an unprecedented streak for me.

phillyfan26 said:
Rock 'n' Roll Suicide has been bouncing around my head for three days, constantly. I always have songs stuck in my head, but usually it changes every couple of hours. I think it's an unprecedented streak for me.

That's pretty far out, man.

Yeah, that song is, well, bitchin'.

If she says she can do it, she can do it
She don't make false claims.

I love how when he says "She" in that second line he half-laughs.

My Bowie car mix:

1. Space Oddity
2. Panic in Detroit
3. Ziggy Stardust
4. Rebel Rebel
5. TVC 15
6. "Heroes"
7. Moonage Daydream
8. Cracked Actor
9. Suffragette City
10. Queen Bitch
11. Young Americans
12. The Jean Genie
13. Life on Mars?
14. Starman
15. Modern Love
16. Rock 'n' Roll Suicide

Good mix, but no Scary Monsters love?

His last two albums are incredibly solid, too.

I'm getting there. The only song I have off Scary Monsters so far is Ashes to Ashes, which puts me in a rather odd state that I don't want to test behind the wheel.

phillyfan26 said:
I'm getting there. The only song I have off Scary Monsters so far is Ashes to Ashes, which puts me in a rather odd state that I don't want to test behind the wheel.

Good call.

It's like a weird sequel to Space Oddity.

I finally got into Bowie over the holidays...I downloaded nearly all of his 70s output...

Space Oddity - interesting record, very folksy, but I think the title track is the only truly great track here.

The Man Who Sold The World - this record doesn't get nearly enough love here. "After All" is particularly brilliant. Easily my favorite use of the phrase "oh by jingo" in a pop song ever. The music in this song reminds me of the 'castle' music from old-school 2D mario games. "Savior Machine" is another favorite. And the title track is an all-time classic. Thanks for bringing it to a new generation, Kurt.

Hunky Dory - "Changes", "Life On Mars", "Kooks", "Oh! You Pretty Things", all classics. The second half of the record doesn't do nearly as much for me, but it really doesn't matter when the first half is that good.

Ziggy Stardust - I know I'm going to get crucified, but I don't quite understand why this was his biggest, most legendary record. "Starman" is an absolutely brilliant classic. The title track is also classic. "Moonage Daydream" is good if I'm in the right mood. The rest is kind of 'meh' for me as it stands now.

Aladdin Sane - I don't get this record. I really don't. I find it boring, and one of Bowie's weaker records. The title track is pretty good

Diamond Dogs - This should be hailed as an absoute classic but unfortunately it doesn't get talked about much. Everybody knows "Rebel Rebel", but there's more here. "Big Brother" and "1984" are both insanely catchy, sing-along-y glam rock songs. Brilliant. And "Sweet Thing" is a quieter but equally catchy song...

Boys, boys, its a sweet thing
Boys, boys, its a sweet thing, sweet thing
If you want it, boys,
Get it here, thing
'Cause hope, boys, is a cheap thing, cheap thing

Young Americans - I'll be honest...I only gave this one a scan and can't really comment on it yet.

Station To Station - This is a slower, much less poppy record. I found it to be very interesting, while not immediatly memorable. A good setup for what followed, however. "Stay" is probably my favorite track here.

Low - Brilliant. "Speed Of Life" is great, and the last four tracks, "Warszawa", "Art Decade", "Weeping Wall", and "Subterraneans" are arguably the best work of Bowie's career. The middle of the record is not quite as strong, but the beginning and end make up for it. Especially "Warszawa". Wow.

Heroes - Brilliant. I don't need to explain why. The title track and "The Secret Life Of Arabia" FTW.

Lodger - I don't get this record. People call it the Berlin Trilogy, but imo this record doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Low and Heroes. These songs don't do much of anything for me.

Scary Monsters - This has garnered high praise from some of you, but it didn't do much for me.

I haven't heard any of the Tin Man records or the more recent records.

Ranking:

1.Low
2.Heroes
3.The Man Who Sold The World
4.Diamond Dogs
5.Hunky Dory
6.Ziggy Stardust
7.Station To Station
8.Space Oddity
9.Aladdin Sane
10.Scary Monsters
11.Lodger

If I had to make a mix...

1.Speed Of Life
2.Heroes
3.The Man Who Sold The World
4.Space Oddity
5.Savior Machine
6.Sweet Thing
7.Changes
8.Starman
9.Life On Mars
10.Ziggy Stardust
11.Rebel Rebel
12.Moonage Daydream
13.Aladdin Sane
15.Big Brother
16.Oh! You Pretty Things
17.Kooks
18.Stay
19.After All
20.Warszawa
21.Art Decade
22.Weeping Wall
23.The Secret Life Of Arabia

namkcuR said:

Scary Monsters - This has garnered high praise from some of you, but it didn't do much for me.

Yeah, most of what I've heard from it is terrible. Fashion is nearly 5 minutes of WTF in my mind.

Keep on listening to Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane. Those records are ace, and the best moments of AS are just...wow. Panic In Detroit. :drool:

Scary Monsters is one of my favourites, together with Diamond Dogs and Aladdin Sane. I just got the 30th anniversary edition of the latter two. Pretty damn good. :drool:

namkcuR said:

Hunky Dory - "Changes", "Life On Mars", "Kooks", "Oh! You Pretty Things", all classics. The second half of the record doesn't do nearly as much for me, but it really doesn't matter when the first half is that good.

Ziggy Stardust - I know I'm going to get crucified, but I don't quite understand why this was his biggest, most legendary record. "Starman" is an absolutely brilliant classic. The title track is also classic. "Moonage Daydream" is good if I'm in the right mood. The rest is kind of 'meh' for me as it stands now.

Low - Brilliant. "Speed Of Life" is great, and the last four tracks, "Warszawa", "Art Decade", "Weeping Wall", and "Subterraneans" are arguably the best work of Bowie's career. The middle of the record is not quite as strong, but the beginning and end make up for it. Especially "Warszawa". Wow.

Heroes - Brilliant. I don't need to explain why. The title track and "The Secret Life Of Arabia" FTW.

:up: Good to see! He is an awesome artist. I have highlighted the four albums I have, as I want to nitpick.

first of all, I don't see what others see in Kooks. I think its the worst song on Hunky Dory. It's not a shit song, just very average.

Starman is a classic yes, but there are better songs. Five Years is my faovurite Bowie song, extremely moving. Keep listening. The only tracks on Zggy I really don't care much for are It Ain't Easy and Hang on to Yourself, and they're both still quality. Did your mind not warp when you heard the Moonage Daydream solo?

I love Speed of Life and Subterraneans, they are my favourites off the record, but you really need to revisit the rest. Warszawa is boring, I hate it.

Also give Sons of the Silent Age another spin.

:drool: Hang On To Yourself

:combust: Lady Stardust

:rockon: It Ain't Easy

Ziggy Stardust is just absolutely superb. Star is a terrible song, but it's mostly perfect.

And Aladdin Sane is just insanely consistent. It doesn't really stand out, but every song is awesome, and the best songs are face-melting.

Of the Bowie records I'm familiar with, the rankings would go...

1. Station To Station - A+ (top 10 all-time)
2. Ziggy Stardust - A
3. Aladdin Sane - A-
4. Low - A-
5. Diamond Dogs - B+
6. Hunky Dory - B+
7. Young Americans - B
8. Heroes - B-
9. Scary Monsters - C-

I have much more to listen to by him, however, and need to give Hunky Dory another shot.

COBL_04 said:

I love Speed of Life and Subterraneans, they are my favourites off the record, but you really need to revisit the rest. Warszawa is boring, I hate it.

Warszawa is brilliant. It saddens me that you think it's boring :(

I've only started my Bowie collection

But good god!

I think I have found my new love :heart:

Moonage Daydream has to be one of the best songs he has ever written, and the solo at the end :drool:

namkcuR said:

Aladdin Sane - I don't get this record. I really don't. I find it boring, and one of Bowie's weaker records. The title track is pretty good

Queen Bitch
Rock 'n' Roll Suicide
Panic in Detroit

None of those make your list? Rock 'n' Roll Suicide is in my top five for Bowie.

Making a compilation for a friend. It's all hits, pretty much, but I put Queen Bitch, Diamond Dogs, and Stay on there simply because they're so awesome.

1. Diamond Dogs (Best Of Bowie version with "This ain't rock n' roll...this is GENOCIDE!11!1" at the beginning)
2. Rebel Rebel
3. Moonage Daydream
4. Panic In Detroit
5. Fame
6. Golden Years
7. Queen Bitch
8. Sound And Vision
9. Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)
10. Let's Dance (single edit)
11. Changes
12. The Jean Genie
13. Suffragette City
14. Stay
15. Ziggy Stardust
16. "Heroes" (full-length album version, bitches)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom