David Bowie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a light, throwaway song, but it's not too terrible.

It makes some of his post-Labyrinth, pre-Nine Inch Nails resuscitation work look amazing.

Well I just listened to Hunky Dory.

It's not the worst song I have ever heard, but I still don't like it.

Now everyone talk to about Hereos and Low please.

Low is without a doubt one of the best experiences I have when I listen to an album.

It's the Bowie-equivalent of Kid A.

I listened to it... it's quite a depature from the stuff I like. I don't know. It's all very weird to me... bit too much instrumental for me to call it a great album...

This'll take some time.

I liked Always Crashing in the Same Car though. Awesome title.

I think his cocaine days lasted longer than 3 albums...

Why does Lodger always get overlooked? I think it's a really underrated album. It's like he took the experimentalism of the first two albums and fused it with better songcraft. I think people that really enjoyed the other two albums see this as a shift back toward the "normal", but it had to happen eventually. To me it's the most listenable of the three, and because there are no instrumentals, it seems more of a proper album to me, even if it doesn't have a standout song like Sound and Vision or Heroes.

Lodger is solid, it's just a shame that it's between 2 of his classic albums:

Low and Scary Monsters.

Has anyone heard Philip Glass's Low and "Heroes" Symphonies?

I downloaded an Aphex Twin remix that blends Bowie's vocals over Glass's "Heroes" part of the symphony and it sounds mindblowingly awesome.

lazarus said:
I think his cocaine days lasted longer than 3 albums...

Why does Lodger always get overlooked? I think it's a really underrated album. It's like he took the experimentalism of the first two albums and fused it with better songcraft. I think people that really enjoyed the other two albums see this as a shift back toward the "normal", but it had to happen eventually. To me it's the most listenable of the three, and because there are no instrumentals, it seems more of a proper album to me, even if it doesn't have a standout song like Sound and Vision or Heroes.

Sound and Vision isn't doing it for me.

My favourite song from Low so far is Speed of Life, and by quite a distance too.

Question to those with Bowie knowledge...what are ten good Bowie songs to start with. Note that I've already got Starman, "Heroes," and Space Oddity.

phillyfan26 said:
Question to those with Bowie knowledge...what are ten good Bowie songs to start with. Note that I've already got Starman, "Heroes," and Space Oddity.

Queen Bitch
Changes
Life on Mars?
Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)
Panic in Detroit
Moonage Daydream
Rebel Rebel
Rock & Roll Suicide
Young Americans
Under Pressure (w/ Queen)

I'm bumping this because Bowie needs to always be on page 1.

And yes, "Young Americans" is the shit.

I have never been able to get into Bowie much. :slant: Sure, I like some songs like Life On Mars, Moonage Daydream, Sound and Vision etc. but overall meh.

I do love that song Jump They Say. :drool:

Just the 2CD best of (which I couldn't even get thru fully) and Low. I like a few songs on Low but mostly it's just not my style. I'm surprised cos I'd heard people compare it with Achtung Baby and that's why I even got it.

Station To Station and Hunky Dory were so poorly represented on that collection that they may be worth checking out for you.

I think you'd dig Heroes, Scary Monsters and Hunky Dory.

The songs are excellent, which the Best Of did a good job of containing, but the albums are infinitely better.

Teenage Wildlife is probably his most underrated awesome track.

Glad this is back because I want to express my new found adoration for Low, in particular Subterraneans. :combust: In fact I might want that song to win that round when we do Bowie.

However Warszawa, Art Decade and Weeping Wall are incredibly boring. :)

Speed of Life 8
Breaking Glass 7.5
What in the World 8
Sound and Vision 7.5
Always Crashing in the Same Car 8.5
Be My Wife 7
A New Career in a New Town 7.5
Warszawa 6
Art Decade 4
Weeping Wall 4
Subterraneans 9

I bought the Original Master Recording of Ziggy Stardust on vinyl somewhere back in late 70's or early 80's... can't remember anymore... anyways... paid twice as much for it as the the regular vinyl LP, my friends thought I was crazy. :drool:

Anyone see the new line of limited edition Bowie mens clothing at Target yet? :huh: I sorta wanna check out that lightning bolt hoodie :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom