David Bowie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MrBrau1 said:

Have you heard his cover of "White Light/White Heat"?

Tis on that "Bowie at the Beeb" album.

I can send.

He also did a great cover of WLWH on the Serious Moonlight tour, imo, his best version of the song.

I was watching some of the clips from the 1980 Floor Show on YouTube today, whoever is responsible for that show never seeing the light of day on Video/DVD should be SHOT!

Have any of y'all seen the movie "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" w/Bowie? Because I'm considering buying it off of eBay but I wanted to know if someone here had seen it and had an opinion of it.

As much as I worship the ground the fella walks on, my advice is to listen to his music, watch his live shows, but avoid the films, I've watched Merry Xmas, The Hunger, TMWFTE, & none of them are what you'd call cinematic classics, if you can get it REAL cheap, then yeah buy it but don't waste more than a quid/dollar on it, imo it just isn't worth wasting a couple of hours of your life watching it, nevermind the money.

U2democrat said:
Y'all wouldn't believe the running around I did today (First to Borders, then FYE, then Target, then Circuit City, then Best Buy, finally back to FYE). I ended up buying both Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust because I couldn't decide which one I wanted :lol:

I'm enjoying them now :)

What do you make of them, U2Democrat?

U2democrat said:
Have any of y'all seen the movie "Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence" w/Bowie? Because I'm considering buying it off of eBay but I wanted to know if someone here had seen it and had an opinion of it.

I quite liked this movie:shifty:

Get the Labyrinth only movie you will ever need:wink:

jimmmm said:

What do you make of them, U2Democrat?

They're exxxxxcellent :yes: I can't stop listening...plus I keep playing them around my friends and they're all like "I really like this..." and they want to borrow my CDs :D

Originally posted by LJT

I quite liked this movie

Get the Labyrinth only movie you will ever need

I had read interesting things about Merry X-Mas and I really like POW/WWII/Prison movies so I was curious.

I love Labrynth....it's a great movie!!! It still pisses me off that at the end *SPOILER* that Sarah chooses her little brother over having a relationship with Jareth. :tsk: Crazy girl. :wink:

U2democrat said:
I can't get Starman out of my head for the life of me. I think it's become my new favorite song. :rockon:
Somewhere Over the Rainbow for the win?

^Except Station to Station, Lady Grinning Soul, Width of a Circle (sooo overlooked).....

The Killers actually did a pretty good cover of Moonage Daydream.

U2democrat said:
:hmm: I don't think so :wink:
There's a Starman - the first few notes of the chorus are the exact same as those from Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I don't think it's intentional, but when I realized it for the first time I thought it was awesome :drool:

Here's something interesting you may not have known about Life On Mars?

The song has its origins from an occurrence when Bowie was asked to write English lyrics to a French song ("Comme d'habitude"), the song he came up with was "Even a Fool Learns to Love". The Canadian songwriter Paul Anka bought the rights to the original French version, and rewrote it into an English song called "My Way," later made famous by Frank Sinatra. Bowie's version was never released. "Life on Mars?" was Bowie's riposte to losing out on a fortune; it has exactly the same chord progression as "My Way," and as Bowie explained in an interview with the BBC, it is a "modernistic take" on the Anka/Sinatra song.

Canadiens1160 said:
There's a Starman - the first few notes of the chorus are the exact same as those from Somewhere Over the Rainbow. I don't think it's intentional, but when I realized it for the first time I thought it was awesome

I've noticed that too. That Death Cab for Cutie ("I will Follow You Into The Dark")song also sounds like "Somewhere Over the Ranibow" in the beginning.

Interesting facts about Life on Mars? and Starman.

I think Bowie did pretty well for himself though.

:wink:

I've been listening to Ziggy a lot, but overall I prefer Space Oddity. I think Moonage Daydream and Suffrigate City are awesome songs, but I like the feel of Space Oddity better. There's a kind of innocent (naive?), laid back feeling to it. Ziggy is a bit rougher.

Maybe those two albums are like his version of Songs of Innocence / Songs of Experience by Blake. :nerd: For those that wonder why people major in Engish: That's what you use an English degree for.

Low
Scary Monsters
Hunky Dory

If you don't yet own all three of those albums...head to your local CD store right this second and correct this great injustice.

Lancemc said:
Low
Scary Monsters
Hunky Dory

If you don't yet own all three of those albums...head to your local CD store right this second and correct this great injustice.

I have Low, I'm actually listening to Hunky Dory now. I'll check out Scary Monsters some time.

Scary Monsters is probably my favorite Bowie album actually. Off the wall and rockin. Nearly perfect. "Teenage Wildlife" = Penultimate Bowie Song

U2democrat said:
So I'm guessing after buying Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust I should go for Scary Monsters next? Or Aladdin Sane?

You can't really go wrong with either. I definitely prefer Scary Monsters though. I feel it's a more satisfying album in the long run. Aladdin Sane is definitely more accessible though, and would definitely be a logical progression coming off Hunky Dory and Ziggy.

Lancemc said:

You can't really go wrong with either. I definitely prefer Scary Monsters though. I feel it's a more satisfying album in the long run. Aladdin Sane is definitely more accessible though, and would definitely be a logical progression coming off Hunky Dory and Ziggy.

Scary Monsters :up:

How about "Heroes" or Low?

U2democrat said:
So I'm guessing after buying Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust I should go for Scary Monsters next? Or Aladdin Sane?

Get Aladdin Sane if you're a big Ziggy fan.

Get Scary Monsters if you like the more "rock" side of Bowie (wasn't Robert Fripp on this album? I think he was).

Get Low if you want something a bit more experimental.

Get Heroes if you want something a little more experimental, but also somewhat grounded (aka THE AMAZING TITLE TRACK THAT IS POSSIBLY BOWIE'S BEST SONG EVER).

Get Station to Station if you like long Bowie songs (the title track, his longest song, is another easy contender for his very best).

And umm....get Outside if you're into serial killers. :wink:

XHendrix24 said:

Get Aladdin Sane if you're a big Ziggy fan.

Get Scary Monsters if you like the more "rock" side of Bowie (wasn't Robert Fripp on this album? I think he was).

Get Low if you want something a bit more experimental.

Get Heroes if you want something a little more experimental, but also somewhat grounded (aka THE AMAZING TITLE TRACK THAT IS POSSIBLY BOWIE'S BEST SONG EVER).

Get Station to Station if you like long Bowie songs (the title track, his longest song, is another easy contender for his very best).

And umm....get Outside if you're into serial killers. :wink:

:hmm:

So Aladdin Sane, Scary Monsters, or Heroes...:hmm:

Someone convince me of 1 of the above :wink:

U2democrat said:

:hmm:

So Aladdin Sane, Scary Monsters, or Heroes...:hmm:

Someone convince me of 1 of the above :wink:

Heroes has his best song: Heroes.

the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.