David Bowie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to demonstrate some good old fashioned David Bowie ignorance, but, having never heard Lodger, is it like the other two? Half vocal/half instrumental?

iron yuppie said:
That is a large part of the charm of Low for me - i.e. that it feels like a cluster of sketches that just serendipitously became a brilliant, cohesive album. Nothing about it feels premeditated in terms of looking for radio or commercial success.

And that's true enough. It doesn't have a big track like Heroes or Changes or Rebel Rebel to hook you in; the experience of listening to Low is so unlike anything else in music and feels so consistent throughout that it is an end unto itself. You start Speed of Life and you find yourself on the other side of it 40 minutes later. Really remarkable.

Lodger, Aladdin Sane and Pinups are the only 3 studio albums I am lacking from Mr. Bowie. The man is a genius and I love his work!

I am really excited for his new album as well. The new single is quite good, IMO.

PhilsFan said:
Aladdin Sane is a must-listen, for my money.

My personal favorite of his. It may not have the conceptual chops of Ziggy or Low, but it is so damn good on a song-for-song basis that I can't help but rank it at the top of his discography.

My favorite is still Scary Monsters. I have heard Aladdin Sane from a buddy of mine...it's just not in the collection yet.

The Jean Genie is a great song.

It is, but it was the only track from Aladdin Sane I'd heard before getting the album, and it's been thrashed on classic rock radio for 40 years, so coming after the astounding run of Watch That Man > Aladdin Sane > Drive-In Saturday > Panic in Detroit > Cracked Actor > Time and being grouped together with the album's two weakest tracks in The Prettiest Star and Let's Spend the Night Together, when you know the gorgeous closer Lady Grinning Soul is but minutes away, has always made me slightly less fond of it.

To those who don't like "The Prettiest Star", how about the single version with Marc Bolan on guitar? I like that one quite a lot.

In the English language, sure. But in many other languages and in just pure logic, I'm with Cobbler on this one.

You are correct! Probably only you, NSW and maybe Dalton even follow the Big Ten, so you're the only ones who had a shot.

He's celebrating Penn State's 0-8 Big Ten record (and probably 0-18 finish).

haha, man. The B1G is nuts this year.

I might eventually make our lord JOHN GROCE my avatar. I love the hire. He's an awesome coach, and a significantly better recruiter than Bruce Weber. But we're still currently a long shot to even make the tournament this year, which sucks because we started the season 12-0. Probably have to get 6 more wins in the conference to be in a good position to sneak in. And 6 more wins in this conference right now is a bit of a brutal proposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom