David Bowie.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Omg Bowie is back! Totally blindsided after all the talk that he done. And announced on his bday too! Unbelievable! Really like the new single too! Now will we have a tour? The thought of it gives me goosebumps!

Wow. I was just reading about him the other day and thinking, "has it really been ten years since Reality?"

it was funny because on the breakfast news yesterday, the presenters were going thru the newspaper headlines and The Times, i think it was, was running a piece on "100 names to look out for in 2013", and they mentioned Bowie and i thought hmmmm strange!

great news though! lovely surprise! :up:

I'm not getting my hopes up about a tour at all. I long ago resigned myself to the fact I'd never see him live. New album is more than I ever expected anyway.

TheSadPunk saw David Bowie live. And Something for Kate opened for him. I haet her

i saw Bowie live too - on Reality - he was really amazing and mesmerising and he did all my faves too!!! :D

aww the song is sweet! just got round to listening finally! :heart:

Artwork for album (scroll down to bottom of page)

David Bowie Announces New Album, The Next Day, Releases Single, Video, Turns 66 | News | Pitchfork

also, no plans for interviews either.. :(

from the designer of the artwork:
Artwork!Look closely at the artwork for 'Where Are We Now?' and you'll notice it's actually an inverted live photo from the 'Young Americans' period. Meanwhile, the artwork for 'The Next Day' is a doctored version of the 'Heroes' single sleeve. It's wonderful to see Bowie referencing his own earlier career, somehow it makes this whole surprise comeback seem even more special. And while we're on the subject, how incredible is it that he managed to record and plan the release of an entire album without anyone spilling the secret? Too perfect.

Album sleeve designer Jonathan Barnbrook has blogged about his work:

Normally using an image from the past means, ‘recycle’ or ‘greatest hits’ but here we are referring to the title The Next Day. The “Heroes” cover obscured by the white square is about the spirit of great pop or rock music which is ‘of the moment’, forgetting or obliterating the past. Obscuring Bowie’s image is also reference to his identity, not only in the past when he changed endlessly but that he has been absent from the music scene for the past ten years. Was this an act to hide is identity or that he has simply become more comfortable with his own identity?

source: http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=1&title=where_are_we&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1&recache=2

I kinda hope this doesn't end up being the cover though.

grey_box_600sq.jpg

Clearly an homage to No Line's cover.

Normally using an image from the past means, ‘recycle’ or ‘greatest hits’ but here we are referring to the title The Next Day. The “Heroes” cover obscured by the white square is about the spirit of great pop or rock music which is ‘of the moment’, forgetting or obliterating the past. Obscuring Bowie’s image is also reference to his identity, not only in the past when he changed endlessly but that he has been absent from the music scene for the past ten years. Was this an act to hide is identity or that he has simply become more comfortable with his own identity?

That's all well and good, but it looks like it was made in MS Paint. Terrible. I'm assuming it's a joke.

Anyway, I've already listened to Low, Station to Station, and "Heroes" today. On Ziggy now. Can't stop. Won't stop.

That's all well and good, but it looks like it was made in MS Paint. Terrible. I'm assuming it's a joke.

Anyway, I've already listened to Low, Station to Station, and "Heroes" today. On Ziggy now. Can't stop. Won't stop.

Yeah I just saw that new cover... I have to assume it's a joke because it's horrible. The font is Arial for fuck's sake.

I listened to Aladdin Sane on the way home from work yesterday and Ziggy today. Many more to come. What a man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom