Daniel Lanois & Black Dub - new album w/short small venue tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knuckle

Acrobat
After his being delayed by his recovery from a rather bad motorcycle accident this year, Daniel Lanois' new band "Black Dub" is finally being released November 2. But you can pre-order now (and comes with automatic free download of three songs).

They are also doing a short US tour of some very small venues. I'll check out the Philadelphia show on November 18 at Johnny Brenda's. If you are interested, suggest you buy tickets right away. I saw a show there this summer (Real Estate/Kurt Vile). It is a tiny venue (a very small stage with a room no bigger than the living room of a McMansion w/balcony). Tickets under $20.

I'm a big fan of Lanois' music, and am always surprised that it/he doesn't get more attention. I saw him play in Philly a few years ago (with Tortoise backing). It was a tiny venue with probably two dozen people there. Excellent music.

Check it out: Black Dub Official Site

Wow, wish he was coming out west. Looking forward to the album coming out in a few weeks.

I'll be at the Boston show with my friends, so excited, you have no idea how frustrated I was I missed his last show here, add Black Dub into the mix and this is me: :hyper:.

Did anyone pick this up today?

It's pretty good - there were a few bits I liked quite a bit, and others I didn't. The female singer's voice grated on me in a few songs.

I laughed when the first track started - from the get-go, it sounds like Lanois!

I picked it up today, at first the tracks I hadn't heard before jumped out at me as awesome (Canaan :drool:) and the ones we'd seen the studio performances of seemed odd and disappointing in production, but on second listen I'm a big fan of the whole thing. It would have been interesting to hear the whole thing with Trixie as harmonizing vocalist instead of lead, but I quite like her style (which is definitely reminiscent of her dad's), I'm so pumped to see them live in an intimate little rock venue in 2 weeks!

Yeah, but all the info I got from this thread was that the singer's name was Trixie.

"Who is Trixie's dad" probably wouldn't have gotten me very far. (I tried it - I got info on Trixie Belden. Her dad's name is Peter Belden. :wink: )

I've heard of Chris Whitley. Couldn't pick his music out of a line-up, though.

Check him out, Lanois is actually the one that discovered him, unfortunately he died 5 years ago of lung cancer :sad:.

Holy shit, I went in to their concert last night expecting a life-highlight and while that may seem like a set-up for disappointment, they lived up to that and more. As if I needed anymore reason to have a musician's crush on Lanois, the man is rock's version of a virtuoso and his collaborators this time around combine for an eargasmic night in a tiny club. Not only that but he brought along Rocco Deluca, a funky musician I've been into for the past year, but while I felt like I was the only one who in the crowd who knew his music when Danny himself introduced him, he had their undivided (with the exception of a few requisite self-important hipsters) attention and admiration and put on a hell of a show himself.

Definitely one of the best concerts I've ever seen, such a blessing that he'd come here for one of only a few promo shows right after the release.

:combust:

Holy shit, I went in to their concert last night expecting a life-highlight and while that may seem like a set-up for disappointment, they lived up to that and more. As if I needed anymore reason to have a musician's crush on Lanois, the man is rock's version of a virtuoso and his collaborators this time around combine for an eargasmic night in a tiny club. Not only that but he brought along Rocco Deluca, a funky musician I've been into for the past year, but while I felt like I was the only one who in the crowd who knew his music when Danny himself introduced him, he had their undivided (with the exception of a few requisite self-important hipsters) attention and admiration and put on a hell of a show himself.

Definitely one of the best concerts I've ever seen, such a blessing that he'd come here for one of only a few promo shows right after the release.

:combust:

nice! :hyper:

I saw him a couple years ago when he toured his Acadie reissue.. one of the best shows I've seen..

unfortunately Brian Blade wasn't drumming with him that night.. I am definitely jealous

I was glad that for an encore Danny came out by himself and played some of his solo material (including 'The Maker', :drool:), which was awesome because I've never had the pleasure of seeing him solo.

I saw him again on Wednesday night. It was as good a show as the one back in February. "Ring The Alarm" is definitely a barn-burner live.

:huh: Ummmmmmmmmmmm:

Jan 28 El Rey Los Angeles, CA
Jan 30 The Independent San Francisco, CA
Feb 1 Neumos Seattle, WA
Feb 2 Venue Vancouver, BC
Feb 3 Aladdin Portland, OR

I was like "did cori forget how to read and/or scroll down on her browser"? Especially since I named you specifically because of Seattle!

The answer is "cori was too lazy to scroll down and hit the 'tour' link from the top half of the linked page instead."

:wink:

BAW has two tickets for the LA event on Friday, 1/28....she doubled booked concerts, she's going to see Social D instead..she wrote this on FB -

LA/OC peeps! For sale: 2 tickets for Daniel Lanois' Black Dub w/Rocco Deluca for Friday, 1/28/11 at the El Rey in LA. Floor tickets, $35 each (includes TM fees). I had a huge brain fart and forgot that was same night I have tickets for Social D, so I need to get rid of these.

Back
Top Bottom