D'Angelo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
I figured it might be nice to have a thread, in honor of such an auspicious occasion as yet another of the "never coming out" albums finally being released. Since Detox doesn't even exist anymore, it's really just falling on your shoulders now, Peter Gabriel.

Stream Black Messiah here, now.
(*That's a link to an article containing a Spotify playlist, just so you know)

And now that I've actually heard Black Messiah, I'll go ahead and be the one to say that it's my favorite of his albums, since I'm so familiar with his other albums and totally didn't just hear them for the first time yesterday.

This album reminds me, more than anything else, of Prince's funkier jams. An entire album that just flows straight through with some great beats, strong emotion, though maybe a little weak on vocals, if that's the kind of thing you're into.

This 24 hour journey into D'Angelo's catalogue has been awesome, for me. Glad this happened. Look forward to re-listens to all in the future.

Favorite track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVsQwJfWzoI

2014 was already good on the comeback front, but this album takes the cake.

I think I'll listen to Black Messiah again right now.

The stretch in the middle of this is excellent; I wasn't paying attention to song titles, but it starts with the Flamenco-tinged track.

Listening to this this morning and quite enjoying it, and then got to the intro of Til it's Gone and now I've played SpottieOttieDopalicious five times in a row.

Very enjoyable album, although it's a lot slower, jammy and more chill than I was expecting and hoping.

The Charade is definitely my favourite song, so good.

The Charade is really something. On a politcally-charged album, it is probably the most brutal lyrically. Pulls no punches

All we wanted was a chance to talk
Instead we've only got outlined in chalk
Feet have bled a million miles we've walked
Revealing at the end of the day, the charade

And yet it's probably the most beautiful song, musically, on the record. Slightly melancholic, but still really warm. Love it.

And when the drums really blast in towards the end, my goodness. Vocals on vocals, drums on drums, it's disorienting yet really beautiful.

Another Life is still my favorite though. That's a perfect closer.

Back
Top Bottom