Cut Copy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Great band. I've only just recently been introduced to them via their second album In Ghost Colours, which came out in the US in May. IMO, this has been a very good year for electronic/dance music, and In Ghost Colours may be my favorite of the genre on the year.

Just listen to the bass line on this:

YouTube - Cut Copy - Nobody Lost, Nobody Found

I still stand by this:

me in some bygone Random Music Discussion thread said:
Agreed, but I was taken aback when I thought the line in "Out There on the Ice" was "cause you're gay now, who'll be there for you?"

I also thought they were singing "I get so horny" before I read the song title "So Haunted," for what it's worth.

I thought that the record was way too long for it's own good, but it has a few of the better singles of the year, no doubt. "Unforgettable Season" is nearly perfect. Gotta be one of my top ten or fifteen at the very least.

PHENOMENAL! They were SO good! It was a small club and everyone was just pogo jumping almost the entire time.

The first band were called Heartbreak. Just 2 guys, the singer was pretty much a huge dork, but they put all they had into it. Verrrrry 80s! They were like Ah-Ha meets Depeche with part Peter Shilling vocals and part singer from Bronski Beat vocals. The songs were fun and dancey, but completely lacking in anything other than being drenched in early-80s nostalgia.

I guess this was a "co-headline" show, so up next were The Presets who were absolutely great! I hadn't heard their stuff before, but they (also 2 guys and from the same label as Cut//Copy) put on one hell of a show. They had so much energy! And their setlist just worked so well, from start to finish it was orchestrated perfectly and built to an awesome climax. They were a mix of 80s and techno. I felt the 2 band members were really the stars and not the actual songs. The guys brought their songs to life, while a lot of the songs sounded fairly similar to each other. Their live performance really elevated the material and just made it a fantastic set!

And then Cut//Copy were just phenomenal. Again, tons of energy and passion. They had a wider palette than The Presets. The Presets were non-stop, full-on energy, while Cut//Copy dipped into slower tunes and then built up to gigantic, sustained climaxes. They dedicated 'Strangers In The Wind' to Stevie Nicks. They played about 4 or 5 songs off their first album, which were all done so well and just had that audience jumping their feet off. 'Far Away' was the second song they played and it was fantastic; I danced my ass off. They ended with "Lights & Music" and then a song from the first album, and then they came back for the encore with "Hearts On Fire".

Both The Presets and Cut//Copy utilized these light bars which reminded me of much smaller and fewer versions of the "lightcicles" from the Radiohead shows, and not hanging above their head either.

'So Haunted' was probably my favorite song of the night. The lights were just fanfuckingtastic as they were lit from the front in eerie green while that guitar riff just blasted away, then later in the song toward the climax, it was flashing pure white with stage lights and the light bars and then they would cut out and it would be two beats of pitch black. There was so much passion and energy in their performance, all the songs really, but 'So Haunted' stands out in my mind.

My friend did not lie; he said Cut//Copy were the best performance at this year's Coachella, and I believe him. I hope these guys are around for a long time and come back to Southern California often!

:rockon:

Listened to this today, finally. Awesome album. I think it's one of the best of this year, and I think it surpasses Neon Neon's release. This could have been released in 1983 and nobody would have known the difference.

Listened to this today, finally. Awesome album. I think it's one of the best of this year, and I think it surpasses Neon Neon's release. This could have been released in 1983 and nobody would have known the difference.

You dug Neon Neon's album as well? Cool. This has been a good year for 80's revival efforts. M83, Cut Copy, and Neon Neon not only made them convincing, but perhaps better than what they were originally channeling.

I had only heard "Lights and Music" previously and really liked it. Now that I see some of the coolest interferencers are into it (and people whose taste I generally trust), I am compelled to check them out further.

imo Lights and Music is a pretty good song, its got a nice beat to it.

And there was another one I heard, called "Hearts on Fire" (I think it was) and that was just as good. :up:

You dug Neon Neon's album as well? Cool. This has been a good year for 80's revival efforts. M83, Cut Copy, and Neon Neon not only made them convincing, but perhaps better than what they were originally channeling.

Yeah, the Neon Neon release is weird, though. It's got that 80's vibe, but then it incorporates hip hop into three tracks, and I think it throws off the album a bit. The tracks weren't necessarily bad, but I just don't think they fit on that album.

Whereas I love how In Ghost Colours is so cohesive as an entire album.

Yeah, the Neon Neon release is weird, though. It's got that 80's vibe, but then it incorporates hip hop into three tracks, and I think it throws off the album a bit. The tracks weren't necessarily bad, but I just don't think they fit on that album.

Whereas I love how In Ghost Colours is so cohesive as an entire album.

Trick For Treat kind of fits with I Lust U...Sweat Shop is the one I find bizarre. Gruff Rhys rapping is also very, very wrong.

One of my fave albums I have bought all year. :up:

Nice to see a band that have something different in the dance scence thats been happening in Australia, they have that pop/dance/ retro sound. But alot of the indie kids listen to them.

Would love to see them live.

Cut Copy > Presets

in the same way that

Melbourne > Sydney

God, this album has staying power. Just sounds magical. Love it.....sooothing fresh grooves...

It flows beautifully, I love the slow outro of Ice and how it slowly builds into Lights and Music.

Far Away is wicked too...:drool:

I was heavy into Cut Copy last year building up to when I saw them live last fall. Great live show in a club, had the Presets open who were also decent but lacking the variety.

I'm mostly over Cut Copy at this point, though...the album didn't have much replay value for me after a few months. That said I'll be awaiting their follow-up.

I'd just like to inform U2popmofo that as Australia's Minister For Customs and Import Duties, Muscles will henceforth have limited time to devote to music making. I'm sure he thanks his many fans, but don't quote me on that.

Cut Copy are pretty good. I am only dimly acquainted with Australian dance music despite living here, but I will say this - compared to The Pre-sets (whom I despise with the intensity of an imploding sun), Cut Copy are pretty good.

My favourite Cut Copy moment is:

If that's what it takes
then don't let it tear us apart
even if it breaks your heart

They have far more in common with New Order than I'm prepared to admit outside of a drunken fugue.

In regards to the Presets (because I can), I like This Boy's In Love and probably any remix of This Boy's In Love and that's about it. I did like their acceptance speeches at last year's ARIAs, though.

Back
Top Bottom