Custom-made John Lennon collection for my dad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musikwala

War Child
Hi guys! Just thought I'd share this. My dad was the one who introduced me to Beatles' music and later of course I overtook him in fandom craziness. But anyway, I don't think he bothered to get into band members' solo careers too much. So I decided to put together a single disc Best of John Lennon for him. Here it is:

The Best of John Lennon

110cg0i.jpg

1. (Just Like) Starting Over
2. Imagine
3. Watching The Wheels
4. Jealous Guy
5. Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)
6. Working Class Hero
7. Oh My Love
8. Nobody Told Me
9. New York City
10. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)
11. Woman
12. Mind Games
13. Love
14. Woman Is The ****** Of The World
15. God
16. #9 Dream
17. Gimme Some Truth
18. Give Peace A Chance
19. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)
20. Real Love

I had to leave out the brilliant Mother to accomodate Beautiful Boy as a last min decision. And besides, knowing my dad's more traditional music tastes I thought it wise to leave out Mother. ;)

Anyway, what a great bunch of songs! Lennon :drool:

My dad is a massive, huge Beatles fan (has all of it, on CD, and ALL albums and singles on vinyl, this side of My Bonnie, which is not technically a Beatles song - Tony Sheridan and the Beat Brothers) but doesn't care as much about the solo stuff. Of course he knows the solo stuff everyone knows, like Imagine, more than well. In other words, the singles. But he's just not interested in the deep 'album cuts'.

I made him a Lennon disc about 10, 12 years ago and put a bunch of that kind of stuff on there. Like 'Don't Want to be a Solider', 'How Do You Sleep?' and he said he only liked about half of it. Probably hasn't listened to it since. I never bothered to make him a McCartney disc after that, much less Harrison.

All that said, Mother should be on there.
I'd have subbed it out for the schmaltzy Woman.

Nobody Loves You When You're Down & Out is one of my favorites from Lennon solo. Seems like Walls & Bridges is typically overlooked in general.

Great songs. Very similar track listing to Legend, though

Yea I know it is not a very original tracklisting. I just picked my absolute favourites and threw a few more conservative tracks in there so that my dad would like it. ;)

My dad is a massive, huge Beatles fan (has all of it, on CD, and ALL albums and singles on vinyl, this side of My Bonnie, which is not technically a Beatles song - Tony Sheridan and the Beat Brothers) but doesn't care as much about the solo stuff. Of course he knows the solo stuff everyone knows, like Imagine, more than well. In other words, the singles. But he's just not interested in the deep 'album cuts'.

I made him a Lennon disc about 10, 12 years ago and put a bunch of that kind of stuff on there. Like 'Don't Want to be a Solider', 'How Do You Sleep?' and he said he only liked about half of it. Probably hasn't listened to it since. I never bothered to make him a McCartney disc after that, much less Harrison.

All that said, Mother should be on there.
I'd have subbed it out for the schmaltzy Woman.

Ahh good to know. My dad is not that huge a fan but he always liked them. He also probably only knows Imagine and a few other hits when it comes to solo material. So I hope he listens to this CD. I took the trouble to go print out artwork and stuff! :angry: :wink:

Nobody Loves You When You're Down & Out is one of my favorites from Lennon solo. Seems like Walls & Bridges is typically overlooked in general.

Love that track! There's way too much good stuff to fit into a single disc! Couldn't find space for stuff like Isolation and Intuition either.

These songs really take me back to the 70s and 80s... the music does that, though I was way too young at the time to appreciate (born in '78)! Such classic songs.

This collection is in need of Isolation IMO. Probably my second favorite of his ballads, behind Jealous Guy, which is incredible.

Back
Top Bottom