Crowded House and Split Enz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds great if we want to be fashionably late. By a month or so. :happy:

So, uh, I'll be seeing the Crowdies four times in November. They added a surprise fourth show this afternoon - so much of a surprise that even Peter Green, who runs the official fanclub, was caught a bit unawares!

Good job. I believe if you see Crowded House more than four times in a row, you are contractually obliged to join the band.

They better add a fifth show then! I can be the completely talentless member who makes off with more than his fair share of the earnings. Like Larry Mullen.

I actually know a guy who's in a band that uses a typewriter as an instrument.

Signed,
Fucking hell it's obvious I live in Brunswick

You could be that guy I once saw in the city who hit plumbing pipes with thongs.

Hah, cheers mate. Those ticket sales were such a total shitshow. I seriously can't believe I got through for the lot.

I almost feel bad. Almost.

I'm now dreading how much accommodation is going to cost. :lol:

Having listened to Together Alone and Woodface ad nauseam over the last few days, I think Neil Finn has now surpassed Lennon and Macca for me as my favourite songwriter of all time. Pure genius.

Last edited:
Got my reissues today. It's been a great night digging through the bonus discs and I'm still getting properly acquainted. Some of the unreleased songs are just sketches or curiosities, while others are genuinely great tracks like "Convent Girls", "Spirit of the Stairs", "Tail of a Comet", "Anthem", etc. Right now I'm enjoying a tune called "I Don't Know You". As for the early/alt versions of songs we know, again some are sketches while others are fascinating, like the Zen Mix of "Locked Out". And apart from the three title words, there's nothing in the original "Whispers and Moans" that sounds anything like the song we know! It's a totally different song.

Also, the version of "Can't Carry On" on the regular album has an - unadvertised - extended ending! The fade-out is later. It's great.

Holy shit the Crowded House version of "Loose Tongue" rocks.

Is this purely Crowded House or is there Enz stuff being reissued? Enz pre 80s is music at its artistic best

Sent from my SM-G920I using U2 Interference mobile app

Crowdies. Though remember there were those big Enz reissues about a decade ago!

And I just realised that for some reason in one of my posts above I wrote "Can't Carry On" when I meant to say "I Walk Away". I've always been a little unsure if I prefer the Crowded House or Split Enz version of that song, but now with the extended ending I definitely favour the Crowdies'.

always the enz version.

can't carry on is still on there, right? because i thought oz had can't carry on and we had i walk away. maybe that was just initially and on the cd it was both.

Sent from my XT1575 using U2 Interference mobile app

always the enz version.

can't carry on is still on there, right? because i thought oz had can't carry on and we had i walk away. maybe that was just initially and on the cd it was both.

Yeah, the CD version had both, so the reissues do too.

Picked up their four original albums in the reissue series. So lovingly packaged. Looking forward to spinning them before the Sydney Opera House gig!

Although, I do wish, as I'm sure you do Axver, that Recurring Dream was a more prominent song.

Good stuff man. :up:

They've definitely done a good job with preparing this. It's interesting to hear the original mix of "Recurring Dream". You should also actually grab Afterglow; as well as containing the definitive "Recurring Dream" (and "Anyone Can Tell", my second favourite Crowdies song, and "I Am in Love" and "Sacred Cow", two more in my top ten), the bonus disc is quite something. Neil tweeted that the bonus disc "could be the best record we made". It's certainly full of great tunes like "Spirit of the Stairs", "Anthem", a ripping Crowdies version of "Loose Tongue" (later released as a Neil solo song), and I'm quite taken by "I Don't Know You", which Mark Hart sings. He sometimes sings live, usually covers ("Born on the Bayou" is most common), but has never been given a studio lead before.

Speaking of Crowdies demos that became Neil solo songs, I was stunned to find "Strangest Friends" as a hidden track at the end of the Intriguer bonus disc, especially as it's not appended to "Nonsense of Course" on Spotify. It's probably better than the solo version too.

Afterglow is the rarities compilation that came out in 1999. It's really quite special and functions well as an album in its own right. It includes material recorded for the aborted mid-1990s sessions that were meant to produce a fifth album (and did give us the three new songs from the Best Of).

Funnily enough, until these reissues it was the only Crowdies release, besides the Best Of, that I had a physical copy of.

I keep discovering more cool stuff the more I listen to these discs. (Also, "Strangest Friends" is in "Nonsense of Course" on Spotify, contrary to what I said earlier; it's just marked as "medley" for some bizarre reason.) I'm now wondering what other Neil solo songs originally began life as Crowded House tracks. "Last One Standing" and "She Will Have Her Way" have always felt like Crowdies songs to me.

Saw a replay of their Facebook webcast. They are sounding really good, those Opera House shows are going to be amazing.

Back
Top Bottom