Critcs Best of 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IWB looks forward to hosting her own Rivers Moob Day.

She will change her screen name to ILRC.

Speaking of which, ILLM needs to start posting again.

I can say very honestly and without any exaggeration that that Mahjongg record (on the Slate list) is one of the worst pieces of music I have ever heard. Like all of us, I really love some stuff and I really hate some stuff. But that doesn't mean that the stuff I hate is objectively "bad," or that I think so; it's just bad for me.

But that record is, objectively, worse than AIDS.

although the jury's still out which one of you gave the other one the crabs

(i know there's some kind of a reference game going on here, but i can't place it and therefore don't know how to play along)

although the jury's still out which one of you gave the other one the crabs

(i know there's some kind of a reference game going on here, but i can't place it and therefore don't know how to play along)
The correct answer to my post was "Lord knows I have."

First off, Power > Runaway. P4k fucked that up big time. Otherwise, I found the list more or less in line with my own tastes and was absolutely thrilled with the #1 pick. It's going to give them a decent amount of exposure.

Pitchfork: Staff Lists: The Top 100 Tracks of 2010

Can't argue with their #2 and 3. And leave it to Pfk to put a song/artist I haven't even heard of in the top spot.

You haven't heard of Ariel Pink? I guess the fact that this surprises me means I'm not out in the real world enough.

Stunned that "Yamaha" is not number one, truth be told.

:hi5:

Huh, that's the second time I've seen that Ariel Pink song on a top list. Must check it out. He opened for Flaming Lips when I saw them a few months ago, and he sounded kind of interesting (in a good way). I forgot to get around to checking him out.

I missed this gig and am broke today regardless? God, I suck.

Probably around the same time he started listening to Brian Wilson for twelve months straight.

"Yamaha" is definitely the best "track" of the year. I mean, come on. I've enjoyed a few songs more, and I've played a few plenty more times. But on a list like this, which is trying to approximate 2010, that track's where it's at. The song's fucking incredible. It turns vapid semi-stupidity into life-affirming transcendence. The song is a classic. I am being less sarcastic than you can possibly imagine.

To be fair, I've been pretty detached from the music world at large for a couple years now, only really just trying to sink my teeth back into the medium the past couple months. So yeah, maybe that's more a real world, or certainly at least a more casual indication.

It is everything that, and perhaps more than, a piece of popular music should be. Simultaneously of the moment and hearkening back to something of the past; both confoundingly insular and near-universal; and equal parts distant longing and pure, untempered joy. That's just what pop music is supposed to do, damn it!

I love "Rocket" by Goldfrapp for those same reasons. Those two songs together give me such a rush of joy. I do in fact frequently listen to them back to back.

I didn't outright love that album or anything, but those three songs were the absolute pinnacle of pop awesome for me this year.

Yeah, I'm not totally feeling any of the albums. Some unstoppable songs, but that's about all I could get from them. This one was more inconsistent than the others, I thought.

Yeah, I'm not totally feeling any of the albums. Some unstoppable songs, but that's about all I could get from them. This one was more inconsistent than the others, I thought.

I could probably dig up the posts where I was commenting on how much I was not enjoying the album and then my shock when those three songs came out of nowhere. It was an incredibly pleasant surprise. Then the album went right back to being....not so great.

Anybody heard that Electrik Red album on which he worked quite extensively, last year?

61Me8jUFIIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I didn't get that much out of it, but The-Dream fans should definitely give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom