Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clocks made me a fan, and to this day it's still my favorite Coldplay song. I also adore The Scientist, In My Place and everything else that's on A Rush of Blood to the Head. But I wouldn't be the fan that I am without Viva la Vida. I played that album to death.

"Amsterdam" is my favorite Coldplay song, but "The Scientist" is definitely a very close 2nd. It's nearly a tie.
Also, "The Scientist" is my favorite music video of all time. Adds a lot of depth and meaning to the song imo. That's rare for a music video to do. Most of them are just pointless and stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

what's sad about Coldplay is that those individuals have incredible talent. but that talent isn't shown in any of their recent crap.

"Amsterdam" is my favorite Coldplay song, but "The Scientist" is definitely a very close 2nd. It's nearly a tie.
Also, "The Scientist" is my favorite music video of all time. Adds a lot of depth and meaning to the song imo. That's rare for a music video to do. Most of them are just pointless and stupid.

That is a good music video. Made me like the song more, too.

Alright, gave this a first listen.

I quite enjoyed Birds (except the abrupt ending) and fully expect Hymn to the Weekend (and maybe Fun) to be huge once it's released as a radio single. Amazing Day and Everglow are classic Coldplay. I don't think I'll be returning to this much.

So I've decided to combine what I like from Dreams and Mylo Xyloto into one album.
01 A Head Full Of Dreams
02 Mylo Xyloto
03 Hurts Like Heaven
04 Paradise
05 Charlie Brown
06 Everglow
07 Adventure of a Lifetime
08 Major Minus
09 Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall
10 Up With The Birds
11 Up&Up

I don't like A Head Full of Dreams for the most part and some of it is downright atrocious. Mylo Xyloto isn't too great either. But I feel like combined they would be a better album.

Haven't heard MX in years but I definitely recall liking Hurts Like Heaven and Charlie Brown the most.

I wouldn't mind that tracklisting if Paradise weren't on it. Might be my least favorite Coldplay single.

What do you guys think is the worst Coldplay song out there?
The new album certainly has a lot of candidates, but since it's new I won't include them. But for the other six albums, it has to be "Up In Flames" from MX. Nice bass line, but the song is god awful. It gives me a headache.

I've been, on initial listen, steadily more disappointed with each album since X&Y. For the most part the post X&Y albums have grown on me but Mylo Xyloto was as close to upbeat pop/rock as I'd ever wish to get with them.
I remember reading someone on here say that they'd hoped they'd go down the "Midnight" route a bit more. I shared these hopes.

"Amsterdam" is my favorite Coldplay song

And this. Warning Sign and Amsterdam were the two tracks that cemented my interest in them.

Fix You was the first bad Coldplay song. The lyrics are corny as fuck and that slow motion, overly cinematic guitar solo is pure cheese. The whole thing sounds like it was written for a running in the rain montage at the end of a teen romance flick.

But I actually think Swallowed in the Sea, from that very album, is worse. Even for Chris Martin, these lyrics are atrocious:

You cut me down a tree
And brought it back to me
And that's what made me see
Where I was going wrong
You put me on a shelf
And kept me for yourself
I can only blame myself
You can only blame me

And I could write a song
A hundred miles long
Well, that's where I belong
And you belong with me

I had no idea Gwyneth Paltrow moonlighted as a lumberjack. Or that music could be physically measured. Fascinating.

Last edited:
Fix You was the first bad Coldplay song. The lyrics are corny as fuck and that slow motion, overly cinematic guitar solo is pure cheese. The whole thing sounds like it was written for a running in the rain montage at the end of a teen romance flick.

The thing that really pushed me over the edge with Fix You was from a movie - a documentary about senior citizens who sing in an a-capella group. And I feel like a dick saying this, because the movie was well-intentioned and moving at times, but at the end, after one of them has died, the group sings Fix You at their next concert. In that moment, when everything is gone but the lyrics, you realize just how astonishingly juvenile and ham-fisted it is, as well as how lacking the sentiment is even when applied to the very kind of situation it was presumably meant for. Just an atrocious song in every sense.

The thing that really pushed me over the edge with Fix You was from a movie - a documentary about senior citizens who sing in an a-capella group. And I feel like a dick saying this, because the movie was well-intentioned and moving at times, but at the end, after one of them has died, the group sings Fix You at their next concert. In that moment, when everything is gone but the lyrics, you realize just how astonishingly juvenile and ham-fisted it is, as well as how lacking the sentiment is even when applied to the very kind of situation it was presumably meant for. Just an atrocious song in every sense.
Fix You is still much, much better than Amazing Day. As a song you can't get much more generic,bland, corny and really awful.

I just realized I haven't really listened to this album in 2 weeks, and I don't really care. It means nothing to me at all. It has had ZERO impact on me.

I gave it an honest chance. I'm a big fan of pretty much everything Coldplay has done up to this point. One of my favorite bands. This album just made no impression on me at all.

But I actually think Swallowed in the Sea, from that very album, is worse. Even for Chris Martin, these lyrics are atrocious:

You cut me down a tree
And brought it back to me
And that's what made me see
Where I was going wrong
You put me on a shelf
And kept me for yourself
I can only blame myself
You can only blame me

And I could write a song
A hundred miles long
Well, that's where I belong
And you belong with me

I had no idea Gwyneth Paltrow moonlighted as a lumberjack. Or that music could be physically measured. Fascinating.

Some of the lyrics could be better, but I think Swallowed in the Sea's pretty solid for the most part.

My brother always said he could never get into Fix You after reading an interview with Martin saying that he had his daughter in mind when he wrote it. After that, he more or less pictured a baby throwing a tantrum during the "tears stream down your face" part rather than a person crying over the death of a loved one (or something similar).

While we're on the subject, is The Scientist about the death of a loved one or not?

I've always taken it to be a fairly straightforward apology song, but the video says otherwise. There's quite obviously a death involved. But I've read that the video concept was dreamed up independent of the song, so maybe there's no direct connection there.

I just realized I haven't really listened to this album in 2 weeks, and I don't really care. It means nothing to me at all. It has had ZERO impact on me.

I gave it an honest chance. I'm a big fan of pretty much everything Coldplay has done up to this point. One of my favorite bands. This album just made no impression on me at all.

I hated the album for the first 3-4 listens. But I've come around a little bit.
Love the opener. Up there with some of their finest album openers. It's going to be awesome live. Last minute and a half are by far the best moments on the album.
"Adventure", "Army of One", "Birds" and "Everglow"are tolerable. Not standouts, but not egregiously terrible.
"Up&Up" has some really stupid lyrics, but I've come around to actually enjoying the song.
Now....
"Hymn for the Weekend" is an absolute disgraceful atrocity. They should be embarrassed that they wrote "X Marks The Spot". What a god awful song. "Fun" is terrible. "Amazing Day" is painfully sappy. "Kaleidoscope" is a pointless waste of time.

Love the opener. Up there with some of their finest album openers. It's going to be awesome live. Last minute and a half are by far the best moments on the album.
"Adventure", "Army of One", "Birds" and "Everglow"are tolerable. Not standouts, but not egregiously terrible.
"Up&Up" has some really stupid lyrics, but I've come around to actually enjoying the song.
Now....
"Hymn for the Weekend" is an absolute disgraceful atrocity. They should be embarrassed that they wrote "X Marks The Spot". What a god awful song. "Fun" is terrible. "Amazing Day" is painfully sappy. "Kaleidoscope" is a pointless waste of time.

Agreed for the most part. I'd give more praise to AOAL, Up&Up and Birds, while Army of One is ok, it would be one of the worst songs on any of their other albums. Everglow is okay but oh-so-boring.

The rest is junk. Pure junk. Such a travesty.

While we're on the subject, is The Scientist about the death of a loved one or not?

I've always taken it to be a fairly straightforward apology song, but the video says otherwise. There's quite obviously a death involved. But I've read that the video concept was dreamed up independent of the song, so maybe there's no direct connection there.

I always took it as being more about a relationship of some sort having ended and then looking back on it with a tinge of regret. But the death aspect could apply as well... wishing you had the chance to tell someone something either alive or dead, etc.

These are more or less the songs I still find myself listening to as well. Maybe not on the heights of their previous material for the most part (or even the last two albums), but still pretty listenable. Birds has grown on me quite a bit too...

Now....

I find it such a lazy album, lazy songwriting and lazy lyrics . Yes, there's 3 or 4 (at most) good songs but the rest are so tired and uninspired. It's really an album I wouldnt care if I never heard again and I certainly wouldnt go out of my way to listen to it.

Haven't listened to it since my last day of work and can't imagine I'll listen to it again.

I love Fix You. To me it's a perfect example of what I've been saying about Coldplay for years - a completely over-the-top sappy, saccharine song but Coldplay are *just* genuine enough to pull it off. If a slightly lesser band released that I'd hate it but, for many years, at least in my eyes, Coldplay continuously pulled off those songs.

I mean it wouldn't rate in my top 10 or whatever, and it feels like you're being smashed over the head with a hammer such is its lack of subtlety, but the beauty of Coldplay to me is that they pulled these songs off well and always have, at least until recently.

Haven't listened to it since my last day of work and can't imagine I'll listen to it again.

I love Fix You. To me it's a perfect example of what I've been saying about Coldplay for years - a completely over-the-top sappy, saccharine song but Coldplay are *just* genuine enough to pull it off. If a slightly lesser band released that I'd hate it but, for many years, at least in my eyes, Coldplay continuously pulled off those songs.

I mean it wouldn't rate in my top 10 or whatever, and it feels like you're being smashed over the head with a hammer such is its lack of subtlety, but the beauty of Coldplay to me is that they pulled these songs off well and always have, at least until recently.

:up:

This is what happens when your album sales decline, your label sends out an intern with their iPhone to make a video.

Back
Top Bottom