Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, for what it's worth, I wasn't really just saying "that's the way it is." I was more saying "I think this is a special case."

Coldplay hardly announced the album, and they're already trying to recover from an album that commercially didn't stand up next to its predecessor. I think they're going after a different model right now, and it's about the single, not the album. And I think both of the first two singles will catch on.

Stark contrast from what I believe of U2. Nothing short of revolutionary sound will catch on from them. Their decline in commercial success is simply because they're not cool anymore. I beg to differ about Coldplay.

Why would I buy an album when I already pay $10/month to stream any album I want.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So I've given this a few spins... very lukewarm overall.

I like the title track, Birds, Adventure of a Lifetime is shallow but it's fun and not too insulting. I love Up & Up... and that's about it. Rest is disposable at best and shockingly bad at worst.

Last edited:
Because better quality is worth it?

Spotify Premium when set to "Extreme Quality" sounds phenomenal if you have good speakers/headphones.
I also don't have a CD player besides my lap top and my ol '98 Chevy Blazer just plays cassettes. :rockon:

Spotify Premium when set to "Extreme Quality" sounds phenomenal if you have good speakers/headphones.
I also don't have a CD player besides my lap top and my ol '98 Chevy Blazer just plays cassettes. :rockon:

I rip everything to lossless audio and then put it on my iPod or iPhone for headphones/car usage and play from my computer to my stereo for outloud. I've got Amazon Prime so I've streamed stuff back to back with playing the lossless file and I can definitely tell a difference in the low bass (less punch, more boxy) and upper treble (especially acoustic guitars, cymbals, and certain vocals). Maybe it's just me listening for that sort of things when trying to EQ my own recordings so it stands out when listening to lesser versions of others' recordings. Also there are a few dead reception spots on I-5 north of Seattle and that'd drive me crazy for the stream to stop. Crazy that you don't have a CD player.

I rip everything to lossless audio and then put it on my iPod or iPhone for headphones/car usage and play from my computer to my stereo for outloud. I've got Amazon Prime so I've streamed stuff back to back with playing the lossless file and I can definitely tell a difference in the low bass (less punch, more boxy) and upper treble (especially acoustic guitars, cymbals, and certain vocals). Maybe it's just me listening for that sort of things when trying to EQ my own recordings so it stands out when listening to lesser versions of others' recordings. Also there are a few dead reception spots on I-5 north of Seattle and that'd drive me crazy for the stream to stop. Crazy that you don't have a CD player.

Yeah I know. I actually prefer CD's and I want a good stereo system, but at least I have a really good Bluetooth speaker.
If I'm not using my Bluetooth speaker in my car, I typically just get stuck listening to Jim Rome on my way to work. Love him or hate him, that's what I'm stuck with. Luckily I love him.
Much like how I love "The Scientist" by Coldplay.
Top 10 Coldplay songs for me.
1 The Scientist
2 Amsterdam
3 Violet Hill
4 Shiver
5 Green Eyes
6 Midnight
7 Strawberry Swing
8 True Love
9 In My Place
10 Yellow

Last edited:
So I've given this a few spins... very lukewarm overall.

I like the title track, Birds, Adventure of a Lifetime is shallow but it's fun and not too insulting. I love Up & Up... and that's about it. Rest is disposable at best and shockingly bad at worst.

Totally agree.

I'm actually starting to love Adventure Of a Lifetime. I can easily relate with it at the moment which may help. I think it captures the joy of falling in love quite well.

There's little here that I go "oh, that was dreadful, I can't listen to this", but in a way that would be more fun than what we're getting here. The level of ambition here is shockingly low.

Personally I think Coldplay are long overdue for a crushing blow of failure. They flinched spectacularly out of it on the last album by shoe-horning in the easy hit-by-numbers Sky Full Of Stars, and I think their current single combined with this album's hit-by-numbers Hymn For The Weekend will ensure another success. It's not that I think they deserve failure or wish any ill on them; when they try (Midnight and O from the last album, most of their 2000-2008 music) they make good stuff, but with key exceptions their music has become so formulaic and lazy it's not fun anymore to care about them or follow them. They blew up this balloon of success the first couple of albums, but now it's just been sitting there all blown up for ages. Can someone please just pop it so they'll have to make the effort blowing it up again (sorry for the terrible metaphor)?

I stil don't know what "ambition" means in music and i may be idiot here, but i still agree that this album is somewhat....mediocre. I don't care about low energy, low ambition, bad production, etc....I can deal with those if the SONGS ARE GOOD. well, they're not spectacular and those songs are definitely into "cheez-y" category so I can't like this album.

Last edited:
Coldplay's albums sales may be down, but their concert sales have never been better. Check it out, a bunch of stadium shows in South America/Mexico and Europe, selling well with lots of 2nd shows being added. In the case of London, they just announced a 4th show at Wembley Stadium. My guess is that they'll put North American tour tickets onsale around the time of the Super Bowl in order to ensure a huge rush to buy tickets. It'll be interesting to see what venues they do in the US. I predict stadiums in the big cities, arenas in the smaller cities.

Coldplay's albums sales may be down, but their concert sales have never been better. Check it out, a bunch of stadium shows in South America/Mexico and Europe, selling well with lots of 2nd shows being added. In the case of London, they just announced a 4th show at Wembley Stadium. My guess is that they'll put North American tour tickets onsale around the time of the Super Bowl in order to ensure a huge rush to buy tickets. It'll be interesting to see what venues they do in the US. I predict stadiums in the big cities, arenas in the smaller cities.

It probably helped that this will be their first big tour since Mylo Xyloto. They did a promo tour for Ghost Stories but that was only a dozen theater dates or so.

Also, not to reopen the sales discussion, but I would note that Coldplay's drop in sales is more noticeable as Ghost Stories just came out last year. Someone like the Foos having a significant drop in the three to four years between their albums is more in line with general decline in the industry. A 50% drop in one year? That's a significant loss.

There's little here that I go "oh, that was dreadful, I can't listen to this", but in a way that would be more fun than what we're getting here. The level of ambition here is shockingly low.

Personally I think Coldplay are long overdue for a crushing blow of failure. They flinched spectacularly out of it on the last album by shoe-horning in the easy hit-by-numbers Sky Full Of Stars, and I think their current single combined with this album's hit-by-numbers Hymn For The Weekend will ensure another success. It's not that I think they deserve failure or wish any ill on them; when they try (Midnight and O from the last album, most of their 2000-2008 music) they make good stuff, but with key exceptions their music has become so formulaic and lazy it's not fun anymore to care about them or follow them. They blew up this balloon of success the first couple of albums, but now it's just been sitting there all blown up for ages. Can someone please just pop it so they'll have to make the effort blowing it up again (sorry for the terrible metaphor)?

I agree the new music is pretty awful so far. For all the flack they take at times U2 have never had a phase where I just utterly tuned out and stopped buying the music. This lot? sorry gig's up for me. Strange to think that for a band doing 4 nights at 'new' Wembley will mean tens of thousands of people probably spending a lot of money on a concert ticket while baulking at a £10 album.

CP week one - 159k. Adele on week three (?) - 157k (UK)

Coldplay heading for huge first week, on Spotify Friday | Music Week

Last edited:
Yeah, they are still a fun show. My complaint is how short their sets are. There is no excuse for a band with their catalog to play 90 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using U2 Interference mobile app

I believe it has been medically proven your brain will start to melt after 92 minutes of consecutive listening to Chris Martin "lyrics".

Best moment on the album is delivered by Noel Gallagher

Coldplay have never been great. Not even the best Brit band of last 15 years.
Chris Martin will top himself at the fact his music is shite and people don't like it.

Back
Top Bottom