Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2017, 11:10 AM   #621
War Child

Local Time: 02:09 AM
The Coldplay/Chainsmokers song is shockingly bad. Pretty much cements the death of Coldplay.

TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #622
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

ugh. So bad. Is that the only synth/beat that The Chainsmokers use?

That said, it will played all over "alternative" radio and pop stations. While U2's next outing of (probable) hit-chasing will be completely ignored.

womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #623
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Exactly, it'll be played non stop.

I've officially become my parents/old. Music just ain't what it used to be
BEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:08 PM   #624
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post

Sorta true. But I love new, current music. I scour for good music every year, and find a ton. The sad part is that you hear about 50% of the same music cross over from so-called alternative radio to pop stations. Maybe that is good in some way that music is kinda blurring the genre lines, but real alt/indie bands really have no platform anymore.
For christ's sake, i thought the new Green Day song was like Fall Out Boy or something, it was just so bland. It is played about 50 times a day on the local station here. sad!
womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:17 PM   #625
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:09 PM
I miss the time when Coldplay worked with Eno and shit, man
Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #626
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post

Theres "being old" and theres not liking shit music, this is just shit music.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #627
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
I miss the time when Coldplay worked with Eno and shit, man

This was my first thought when I heard he song, a longing for the Viva La Vida Coldplay.

I honestly feel that they've maxed out this whole big dumb pop anthem gimmick. They need to get out of this phase as there is nothing left in this space for them to achieve. And they surely will at some point won't they? Can't keep going on like this. They seem restless enough.
intedomine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:36 PM   #628
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:09 PM
well even Linking Park is taking "going pop to stay relevant" path so i guess all kinds of big bands from 2000s will ruin themselves in the process of staying relevant and contemporary.
Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:57 PM   #629
Refugee

Local Time: 03:09 AM
No one could possibly long for Viva la Vida Coldplay to come back more than me, but I...actually like that new song. It's like Sky Full Of Stars except executed well. The biggest problem with it is just that: it's similar to Sky Full Of Stars, which is never a flattering thing. But the verse has some nice melodies, Chris' vocals are solid and the production is great.

Coldplay's biggest crime is not that their hits sound like this, it's that their album tracks are trash these days.
JoRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #630
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 07:09 PM
Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

So Chainsmokers just reused the Roses beat and slapped Chris Martin on there...
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #631
Blue Crack Distributor

I miss the days when Coldplay was releasing music I actually liked.
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:52 PM   #632
45:33

The harbinger for me was Every Teardrop. That was the first time I was like "oh no". But, in spite of itself, I grew to love not only that song, but that album as well. The tour that accompanied it was a letdown. Sets only ever lasted 90 minutes, which is at the very least half an hour too short for a band of their stature (and for the prices they were charging) and prioritised the spectacle over the music. It was gimmicky and seemed designed just to show off how many huge hits they've had, at the expense of anything real. But still, I liked Mylo Xyloto and was still on board.

Then came Ghost Stories. It was in every way the antithesis to everything Mylo Xyloto was; or at least, that's the story we were told to buy. But there were several problems with that whole little era. The first was that Chris Martin's attempts at writing a break-up album were atrocious. His lyrics on Ghost Stories are about 80 per cent asinine and the music wasn't good enough to make up for that, as it had been so often in the past. One of Coldplay's strengths in my view has always been that they are far, far greater than the sum of their parts: we all know Chris Martin has never been a great lyricist and we all know that Coldplay's music has never been groundbreaking. (And just on Chris Martin, no, he will never be held up as a great lyricist, but for the vast majority of his career he has been extremely effective in writing simple, beautiful, touching and relatable lyrics that never stunk.) But up until Ghost Stories, I would argue that they consistently nailed their niche. They understood what they were and they played to their strengths - to some people who have never liked them (and fair enough, I'm not going to go on some crusade about how Coldplay are actually a much better band than they think) their music has always been on the nose, but for me, at least, they nearly always pulled it off. Mylo Xyloto was testament to that - I ended up loving that record in spite of itself.

Now, Ghost Stories had some great tracks. Midnight, the undisputed highlight, is fucking terrific, even if it's a pretty blatant rip off of Bon Iver. When that track came out I was incredibly excited about the direction they might be taking, but unfortunately it was a red herring. Still, Always in My Head is gorgeous and Magic is, as LM stated above, the last great Coldplay song. It's a great example of what I've always liked about Coldplay: non-pretentious, effortless, relatable, gentle, enjoyable, catchy, melancholic, a song that works despite Chris Martin's simple lyrics.

But you also had a songs like True Love. A second harbinger in Sky Full of Stars. Think of all the great breakup albums there have been; heartbreak is such a rich and fertile subject for musicians but Coldplay failed to mine that and turn it into something amazing. Instead, they started getting lazy and allowing their worst tendencies to start to filter in unchecked.

And then, at the arse end of 2015, came A Head Full of Dreams, and with it the Coldplay that I once loved ceased to exist. I listened to it once in full, and couldn't make it through a second listen. A Head Full of Dreams is to me what Coldplay have always been in the eyes of Laz and Martha. A completely medicore, bland, pathetic, vapid and empty collection of songs that are designed only to soundtrack confetti blasts. In comparison it makes Ghost Stories seem like a masterpiece.

So it's no surprise to me this Chainsmokers collab has come out. It's not a terrible song, but it's just a nothing song, which is arguably worse. Chris Martin said a million times he'd retire at 33 and now I wish they'd ended things years ago.

Those fellow long-time Coldplay fans of mine: remember when our biggest gripe with the band was that X&Y was a bit of an ugly duckling compared with Parachutes, Rush of Blood and Viva La Vida? I look back now and I only wish Coldplay was capable of releasing an album like X&Y.

I'm a little heartbroken, and this is the most I've ever written on the band, and I'll shut up now, but man do I miss the band I once loved. At least we'll always have the good stuff.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:10 PM   #633
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:09 PM
I liked both the tour and album for mylo xyloto. I can see how it still signaled the demise, though. Ghost Stories seemed like it gave us promise, but the big fat ugly lead single was evidence that they were still serious about that direction. I forgot what their new album was even called, and wish it didn't exist. Holy shit was it bad. Abysmal. I briefly heard the chainsmokers bullshit. So disappointing.
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #634
Blue Crack Distributor

I saw them on the MX tour and I really dug the show (despite how short it was), which helped me like the album more.

I didn't much care for Ghost Stories, but hearing what's come since, I'd happily take 5 more Ghost Stories.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #635
Blue Crack Distributor

They're playing the stadium in Seattlw this year. I might see if I can get a good ticket for cheap right before the show.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:04 PM   #636
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:09 PM
Head Full Of Dreams was a fat pile of ass.
That said I would absolutely see them on this current tour given half the chance. (I already had tickets to the theatre like a PONCE when they were in Melbourne)

Ghost Stories was a great surprise, one of my favourite albums by them. Some of the lyrics are pretty bad, True Love stinks and I hate that they just bolted on some completely unnecessary stadium friendly dance track near the end, but I think it's a brilliant album on the whole.

Personally, I hated most of Mylo Xyloto so was really glad they dialled it right back with Ghost Stories, I just wish they'd toured it a bit more instead of rushing straight back into the studio to record Mylo Xyloto 2 lest people desert them for not churning out more stadium BANGERS.
gareth brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #637
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth brown View Post
I just wish they'd toured it a bit more instead of rushing straight back into the studio to record Mylo Xyloto 2 lest people desert them for not churning out more stadium BANGERS.

What an insult to MX... those albums are *nothing* alike.

If you don't like stadium bangers, what's your opinion of half of U2's catalog?

Coldplay's most recent album was filled with a bunch of manufactured pop songs featuring other big artists. MX hinted at this with Princess of China, and Ghost Stories confirmed it with A Sky Full of Avicii Underwater. MX though, as an album, was undeniably a Coldplay album, with Coldplay character. A far cry from what we are seeing, now.
LuckyNumber7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #638
War Child

What happened to Chris Martins great songwriting like Animals, Crests of Waves, I Bloom Blaum, Yellow etc etc etc. This new stuff is just so turgid and bland, it's a crying shame how he's become enslaved to this pop bland crap. You get the hint of a decent melody now and again and then it's drowned out by some stupid turgid beat or dance loop. I saw them last year on tour and it was strange, you went from the sublime version of Clocks they did to the hideous Hymn For The Weekend. The show was schizophrenic like that. That was my 5th time seeing them, the first was circa 2000 and they were brilliant each time since, they've been getting progressively worse(VLV tour aside) .
Old 02-27-2017, 08:34 PM   #639
45:33

Agree with LN7 on Mylo Xyloto - it definitely had that Coldplay character to it. Hurts Like Heaven, Charlie Brown, Major Minus (recalls 00-02, 08 Coldplay, best track on the album by some distance, and one that could comfortable sit on their three best records) are all terrific and there's four or five more that are great (and I'd include Princess of China in that). (Paradise can get fucked though.) Moving to Mars is better than 90% of the album as well.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #640
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
What an insult to MX... those albums are *nothing* alike.

Coldplay's most recent album was filled with a bunch of manufactured pop songs featuring other big artists. MX hinted at this with Princess of China, and Ghost Stories confirmed it with A Sky Full of Avicii Underwater. MX though, as an album, was undeniably a Coldplay album, with Coldplay character. A far cry from what we are seeing, now.
Okay fair point, MX did have Hurts Like Heaven among others, after all. Perhaps I phrased it wrong. AHFOD is more the worst of Mylo Xyloto turned up to 11, now with 50% less Coldplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
If you don't like stadium bangers, what's your opinion of half of U2's catalog?
In what sense? Because I honestly don't think Coldplay's current phase is the same as half of U2's catalogue at all. For all the complaints we make about U2 trying to hang on to relevance, they've never really thrown out everything that made them great and gone native to the extent that Coldplay have done this last couple of years. Again, maybe I just chose the wrong phrase.

(sorry for all the edits if anyone's quoting this later to argue back )

gareth brown is offline   Reply With Quote