Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #441
The Fly
 
U2Larry54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 73
Local Time: 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Don't be mean, Friggin'.

However:



No, it's really not a shame at all.
Probably right in the sense that she would still be an unknown entity without the shock treatment in her work, style, performance etc. Its much more difficult to standout with just the music alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
You don't seem to like pop music much, which is fine. But many people, including myself do. Was Beyonce singing live at the Super Bowl, probably not, but because of that she sounded better than Chris Martin who likely was singing live. Pop shows are about the entire package, including the singing, dancing and costumes. Personally, if I'm going to a pop show, I'm fine with artists not singing live, if it improves the overall performance. Do I prefer going to shows with live vocals, yes. But I understand why some artists choose not to do it.

The Gaga was singing live, and can do whatever she wants. I love that she's weird.

I would have prefered a full three song set from Coldplay just like U2 did back in 2002. Beyonce and Bruno had their halftime shows in years prior to this one and if that is your taste then thats fine. I prefer U2 and Coldplay.
__________________

U2Larry54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:00 PM   #442
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 09:29 PM
Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Larry54 View Post
Probably right in the sense that she would still be an unknown entity without the shock treatment in her work, style, performance etc. Its much more difficult to standout with just the music alone.








Are you serious?!

Do you know how she rose to fame?

Do you say the same about male artist like Bowie that used performance and shock in concurrence with their music?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
__________________

BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #443
The Fly
 
U2Larry54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 73
Local Time: 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Are you serious?!

Do you know how she rose to fame?



Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
She did not hit #1 until she had videos showing a lot of skin and sex appeal as well as explicit lyrics. I'm talking about national and international fame, not regional fame. Controversy, shock treatment helps to sell the product, or at least gain exposure in order to sell the product. A non-sexual Gaga in all things would have been a different story.
U2Larry54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:15 PM   #444
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,491
Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Larry54 View Post
Well, Coldplay is certainly better in my opinion which is all I was expressing. Not liking Beyonce does not make a person sexist. Yep, I'm a U2 fan and love 3 or 4 piece rock n' roll and much prefer it to other types of music and simply expressed that.

Whats disturbing though is you feel that someone that does not share your opinion or expresses and opinion that you dislike should disappear. Why?
You reduced her to a "stripper dancing at a night club". That's pretty offensive champ, particularly considering her music is all about empowering women. That's pretty sexist.

If you don't like Beyonce that's totally fine, but you can express that opinion without being crass and offensive (and not to mention just flat-out wrong). I don't really like music that falls under the umbrella of 'metal', but I long ago learned to stop ignorantly shitting on it just because I don't really like it.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:21 PM   #445
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,215
Local Time: 02:29 AM
Part of what took away from it was the fact that it was daylight during the show. Coldplay are a very good live band. Rather you like their music or not, they are selling out stadiums everywhere, so a lot of people like them. The Super Bowl performance did not show their strengths at all. Coldplay have several "live moments" that are signature Coldplay moments, and they didn't utilize them.

They could've utilized the Xylo bands from the MX Tour had it been dark. If you watch the Paris DVD from their last tour, "Charlie Brown" was a highlight of the show because of the use of the xylobands.

Other big moments they didn't use-
- The big explosion of sound and lights as the coda of "Fix You" begins (IMO this is their "Streets" moment. Yes they played this song, but it'd be like if U2 played "Streets" during the daylight, and they were showing footage of other performers on the television instead.)
- Sped up version of "Yellow" still probably their most iconic song.
- Chorus of "In my place" (crowd yells "YYYYYEEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!" as the lights shine on them.)
- Signature laser effect on "Clocks", also a contender for their most iconic song
- "Politik" is just fantastic live

I think Chris Martin, while I respect his energy as opposed to say, Liam Gallagher, looks kind of stupid when he's always bouncing around the stage. He gets winded, and it detracts from his singing. I remember seeing Coldplay in 2003 in a small theater. On every song, he was either playing a piano or a guitar, and it was great. That suits him better. Obviously at age 33 I'm and "old school" fan, but I actually do like the post VLV stuff, but not as well. I've even warmed up to the new album. I hope they add a show in Ohio, because I'd love to see them again. You'd think right now would be the time for them to add more tour dates, wouldn't you?
The_acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #446
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,642
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Just Dance is one of the most straightforward, least shocking dance pop songs of the last 10 years. It was also an enormous hit. The image/theatricality was important to establishing her as a unique force in music, but she could have racked up hits without the meat dresses and wacky videos. It's not like the skill for great hooks or awesome vocal presence would have disappeared.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #447
The Fly
 
U2Larry54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 73
Local Time: 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
You reduced her to a "stripper dancing at a night club". That's pretty offensive champ, particularly considering her music is all about empowering women. That's pretty sexist.

If you don't like Beyonce that's totally fine, but you can express that opinion without being crass and offensive (and not to mention just flat-out wrong). I don't really like music that falls under the umbrella of 'metal', but I long ago learned to stop ignorantly shitting on it just because I don't really like it.
Thats what Beyonce looked like to me, similar dance moves with little to no clothing. Nothing wrong with that though if thats what you enjoy. I was looking for a performance that was about the MUSIC, not an image. Nothing crass and offensive about that. But its obviously offensive to advocate that someone disappear because of an opinion.
U2Larry54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #448
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,382
Local Time: 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_acrobat View Post
I think Chris Martin, while I respect his energy as opposed to say, Liam Gallagher, looks kind of stupid when he's always bouncing around the stage. He gets winded, and it detracts from his singing. I remember seeing Coldplay in 2003 in a small theater. On every song, he was either playing a piano or a guitar, and it was great. That suits him better. Obviously at age 33 I'm and "old school" fan, but I actually do like the post VLV stuff, but not as well. I've even warmed up to the new album. I hope they add a show in Ohio, because I'd love to see them again. You'd think right now would be the time for them to add more tour dates, wouldn't you?
Watching the performance, and I felt that the hunchbacked 'bounce' he does on stage came off as somewhat forced. Like he's constantly telling himself to bend his knees when he's singing and not stationary at a piano.
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #449
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,491
Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Larry54 View Post
Thats what Beyonce looked like to me, similar dance moves with little to no clothing. Nothing wrong with that though if thats what you enjoy. I was looking for a performance that was about the MUSIC, not an image. Nothing crass and offensive about that. But its obviously offensive to advocate that someone disappear because of an opinion.
Are you a white middle-aged man who votes Republican? Just asking out of curiosity.
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:01 PM   #450
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,642
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Chris was doing that thing Bono does where he leans forward into the camera a few times in succession before backing off to do something else.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #451
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 26,431
Local Time: 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Just Dance is one of the most straightforward, least shocking dance pop songs of the last 10 years. It was also an enormous hit. The image/theatricality was important to establishing her as a unique force in music, but she could have racked up hits without the meat dresses and wacky videos. It's not like the skill for great hooks or awesome vocal presence would have disappeared.
Red Wine!!! GaGa!
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:16 PM   #452
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Are you a white middle-aged man who votes Republican? Just asking out of curiosity.




Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
BVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:19 AM   #453
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,901
Local Time: 10:29 PM
Coldplay - LP7: A Head Full of Dreams

Christ

Interference: Delivering Since 2000 (or so)


Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:07 PM   #454
War Child
 
TheFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 763
Local Time: 02:29 AM
New pic of Coldplays stage set up for their forthcoming tour....

TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #455
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: This forum just ain't what it was pre-2007 but I still post here
Posts: 69,582
Local Time: 10:29 PM


Ermagahd Beyonce was so channeling Malcom X and the black panther meets stripper outfit she was wearing...




...or not
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:25 PM   #456
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,767
Local Time: 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Larry54 View Post
She did not hit #1 until she had videos showing a lot of skin and sex appeal as well as explicit lyrics. I'm talking about national and international fame, not regional fame. Controversy, shock treatment helps to sell the product, or at least gain exposure in order to sell the product. A non-sexual Gaga in all things would have been a different story.
Men have explicit lyrics in their songs all the time . Rock and roll is chock full of songs with sexual innuendo, if not outright making it clear what they're singing about. Gaga and Beyonce aren't really doing anything different in that regard. Same with the shock value aspect.

Also, men have had plenty of music videos that feature women walking around all scantily-clad. I don't know about Gaga's career, but at least in Beyonce's case, given how much control she seems to have over her career, how she looks in her videos is her decision. To say nothing of the fact that a woman showing skin isn't a bad thing in and of itself, either.

I'll agree that the media tends to be awfully skewed in that women show more skin than men do, and in some quarters that's unfortunately an implication that all a woman is good for is to look sexy and nothing else. But I don't think that's the case with Beyonce, or Gaga, for that matter. And artists can't really make people get them to number one on the charts (outside of heavy duty promotion, but even then, that's still not a guarantee), there's all sorts of factors as to why songs hit it big. So the fact that people might buy a female artist's music simply because they look sexy is on them, not the artist in question.

Though I also think it's rather simplistic to say that that's the only reason for why a female artist would be popular. Gaga also has a strong, commanding presences and some catchy as hell songs (at least, in some people's eyes-I like some of her songs, personally). I'd say that's played a pretty big role in the success as well. Same, of course, with Beyonce.
Moonlit_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #457
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Mack_Again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: definitely Osaka
Posts: 7,124
Local Time: 09:29 PM
if they were channeling Malcom X, did they convert to Islam and start to assault people?
Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #458
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 64,498
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Yeah, so much skin. I'm so appalled to see that she has a pair of legs. How scandalous.
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #459
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: This forum just ain't what it was pre-2007 but I still post here
Posts: 69,582
Local Time: 10:29 PM
It's a really dumb controversy.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #460
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,767
Local Time: 09:29 PM
It truly is. Just like the Janet Jackson thing from a decade or so ago.

I still love the people who are all, "The Super Bowl is a family event!" When the hell did people start thinking that was even remotely true?

And then I've seen people griping about having an "agenda shoved down our throats", or being "forced" to watch her performance. I didn't realize so many people's remote controls were broken that night, or that they were strapped down into their couches or chairs 'Clockwork Orange'-style during her performance.
__________________

Moonlit_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×