Coldplay - Everyday Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Orphans is not experimental and doesn’t really feel like new territory - but can see why they released it as it carries on the easy-to-please accessibility of their more recent singles. Will appeal to their huge cohort of casuals single-fawners

Listening to Arabesque now, it’s definitely not what I expect from Coldplay. Seems more likely of someone like an Elbow or something. Promising... as that last album was Head Full of Dreams was atrocious

Arabesque is not what I was expecting but interesting and different from the normal "Coldplay" sound so that's cool...

Orphans sounds more straightforward and inoffensive on first listen.

I'm mildly curious to see what the rest of this sounds like after these two songs.

I echo the previous posts. Arabesque is really good, easily the most interesting thing I've heard from them since 2008. Orphans is boring and sounds like it would've fit in well on the last album. Here's hoping the album is more like Arabesque and that Orphans is one of those 'we need a single' lead singles that doesn't represent the album well.

I haven't heard the songs yet. But based on the descriptions by you all I suspect that one album is a bit more experimental, whereas the other one will likely continue where A Head Full Of Dreams ended.
The last Coldplay album I got was Ghost Stories and the one before that was Viva La Vida. They've more or less become an 'every second album' act for me. So I guess it will be time again for me to get one of their albums. :)

Orphans is instantly forgettable and pointless, but Arabesque is fantastic. Would like to hear more of the latter.

Thinking “Orphans” is going to be the lead single.
“Arabesque” is a quite a departure for them at this stage of their career.

Does anybody else notice the frazzled sound when he says “heart goes boom boom boom”??? It sure sounds like it was poorly polished.

Err, sorry, “bombs” going boom boom boom.

Last edited:
I like the production here a whole lot more than what they've been doing for the last few albums. The acoustic elements sound more clear, and the prominent bass lines are great.

I wasn't a big fan of A Head Full of Dreams (thought it was a Mylo Xyloto retread with inferior songs) so this already sounds like a step up. Orphans doesn't surprise as a Coldplay single, but Arabesque had me hyped for the Sunrise portion of the album.

Interesting, I thought Orphans was really quite nice. To me it sounded like the opinion I've always had of Coldplay: that they make extremely saccharine, cloying songs, but are *just* good enough to pull them off and making them really enjoyable rather than awful. It's a hard line to walk, most artists fail at it, and Coldplay themselves failed at it on the last album, which was atrocious, and the only Coldplay album I genuinely dislike. So I quite liked Orphans and it was refreshing to hear a classic Coldplay-style song, but maybe I've just not listened to them in so long.

Then came Arabesque, which is fucking sick, holy heck that's exciting. Made me really, truly excited for their new album. I haven't been this keen for a Coldplay album since Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends. To me that is their last great album, and Arabesque is, immediately, on one listen, the most exciting Coldplay song in 11 years. They've been phoning it in ever since Viva, and so I'm super excited for this record.

I liked Orphans. Aside from the poor sound quality on the boom boom boom thing that really annoys me, the only other thing I dont like about it is the lyric “I just wanna get drunk with my friends.” I find that to be tacky and sort of like a western sentiment. Not the first thing I would imagine a war child of Syria to be saying.

I'm actually starting to think Orphans is really great. The version on the official video with Chris and the guitar and then band being added in is superb and a million miles from the dross of their past few albums. It's one of the most effortless(in a good way) and uplifting(but at the same time tinged with sadness) Coldplay songs I've heard for a while.

I’m getting a Viva La Vida vibe from this whole album and that can only be a good thing - the creative approach, the promotion, the band’s attitude. There is only so much Chainsmokers, Sky Full Of Stars gunk you can handle.

Good god, i remember picking up their first album and listening to it in the car ride to and from work.

For some reason this makes me feel older than being a life long U2 fan. Maybe cause they've been with me since basically the start. Where Coldplay came into being when I was an adult.

I'm hopeful for this album. Viva is probably my favorite, and since then it's been way too poppy.

The 5 songs that have been released so far are a very solid group of songs.

Orphans is catchy but like most of their recent output it is too sweet, cloying and poplame.

Separately but related - the SNL performance was horrendous on so many levels.... just embarassing and dreadful. WTF has Chris Martin become?

Orphans is catchy but like most of their recent output it is too sweet, cloying and poplame.

Separately but related - the SNL performance was horrendous on so many levels.... just embarassing and dreadful. WTF has Chris Martin become?

I think you’re wrong on this. Both on Orphans and the SNL performance.

Orphans is as poppy as the album gets, but it makes sense in context. And that context by far outstrips the last three albums (though I have a personal love for MX).

And the performance on SNL... well that just seemed joyous and fun. I don’t understand what’s embarrassing and dreadful about that. Sure, the dancers were twee — but Chris Martin himself was fine, certainly understated in comparison to them. ?*♂️

Last edited:
It's all a bit blah for mine on first listen, only Trouble In Town, Arabesque, and Champion of the World have had any real resonance with me.

Back
Top Bottom