Coldplay - Everyday Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it’s okay to absolutely love a band for 60% of their material, especially when that 60% is relatively evenly spaced out. It’s pretty much every other album for them.

That's not true. It's heavily stacked towards the start of their career. Everyday Life is great, and parts of Mylo Xyloto and Ghost Stories are decent, but all the really good shit comes from their first decade.

Viva La Vida is my second favorite Coldplay album behind Parachutes, so I disagree that only their early career is really great. VLV only gets better for me as I get further from its release and all the annoyance that goes along with a Coldplay album rollout.

I mean it’s entirely an opinion, I don’t think there’s really truth of any of that.

I’ve always felt that their style was “one for us, and one for you (the radio).” Typically the latter half produces the weaker album.

I think it’s okay to absolutely love a band for 60% of their material, especially when that 60% is relatively evenly spaced out. It’s pretty much every other album for them.

Yeah, it's the same for me. Starting with A Rush Of Blood To The Head I like more or less every other album, the even ones. So AROBTTH, Viva La Vida, Ghost Stories and Everyday Life are great. X&Y, Mylo Xyloto, A Head Full Of Dreams less so.
In a way I'm looking forward to the next Coldplay album so I can ignore it and that hopefully the streak of good albums continues with the one after that.

Viva La Vida is my second favorite Coldplay album behind Parachutes, so I disagree that only their early career is really great. VLV only gets better for me as I get further from its release and all the annoyance that goes along with a Coldplay album rollout.

It came out in 08, in the first decade of their career. I absolutely include it in that. In the years since, they've released one good album, one decent album that still leaves a bad taste in the mouth for the direction they took, one middling album and one absolute stinker. I know X&Y was very divisive at the time, and remains too long, too serious and a slog to get through, but it's still better than anything they've released in the last decade.

Higher Power is bang average - can’t help but be underwhelmed.

Suspect that Everyday Life was a flash in the pan return to form. Something to appease the older fans - the VLV/Rush of Blood crowd.

It's funny, my 12 year old daughter has suddenly gotten into Coldplay's first album, loves "Yellow" and "Trouble". Then I played "Paradise" for her to show her what direction they went in, and she said "This is horrendous". Good kid even understands that they used to be so good.

And Paradise, while by design will never be as good as the best Parachutes or AROBTTH songs, is about as excellent as pop music gets in my eyes. A hit, a great song and a worthy part of their legacy.

The problem isn't songs like Paradise – it is trying to repeat the appeal and success of songs like Paradise a decade later.

New album ‘Music of the Spheres’ arriving October 15th. Next single in September.

[TWEET]1417501479263477770[/TWEET]

And Paradise, while by design will never be as good as the best Parachutes or AROBTTH songs, is about as excellent as pop music gets in my eyes. A hit, a great song and a worthy part of their legacy.

The problem isn't songs like Paradise – it is trying to repeat the appeal and success of songs like Paradise a decade later.

All of this. Mylo Xyloto was fine. It seemed like a logical place to go for the band. And Paradise holds up well.

But it took them down the track of Sky Full of Stars, the general excruciating vibe of A Head Full of Dreams and that Chainsmokers thing.

Everyday Life was a very welcome respite.

Higher Power is a bore of a lead single, and the emoji-laden track listing doesn’t give me much hope for Music of the Spheres and all its Kaleidoscopic branding. We’ll see

I don't even think Coldplay know what they're doing anymore. This song is an absolute fucking mess

To think I gave U2 shit for putting four different songs into Breathe.

That lyric video can go to hell for making me dizzy trying to read the lyrics while the background nebula or whatever spins around. I couldn’t make it past two minutes.

Still need to hear it, but most comments on the band's fan sites are pretty much over the moon with that track.

It isn’t as bad as everyone is saying, it’s creative, but it certainly has a glaringly obvious pop chord progression with no real attempts to mask it.

I took a listen and a couple minutes in, took a 5 minute nap and when I woke up, this song was still playing and thought it switched over to a new U2 song when I heard "ohhhh ohhhh ohhhh ohhh"

It's like they tried to make their own Zooropa but shit and rammed with sugar.

Back
Top Bottom