Coldplay: Chris Martin And His Xylo Toes - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually don't know and don't see it anywhere, but this album just broke the record for first week iTunes sales for an album (previously held by Viva), so it's safe to say it sold significantly more in that format.

But I was wrong earlier about the numbers. The overall total that was sold in the U.S. DOES include all downloads, so No Line did slightly better overall in its first week here. The iTunes number of 500k downloads is worldwide.

So let me get this straight, Shuttlecock releases an album 30 years into their career, without a successful lead single, and still manages to outsell Cockplay at what should arguably be the peak of their popularity, or maybe a couple years past?

Interesting.

It seems to me as though they weren't two shits interested in selling albums but rather going with the times and trying to chart songs.

Of which, for the most part, it seems it also failed to significantly do.

Well, sales continue to go down every year in the industry, so I'd say this album's sales are about even with No Line within that context.

But other than that, yeah. Pretty remarkable for U2, and many consider No Line a commercial disappointment.

It seems to me as though they weren't two shits interested in selling albums but rather going with the times and trying to chart songs.

Of which, for the most part, it seems it also failed to significantly do.

I'm not sure which group you are referring to here, but let's be clear - both Coldplay and U2 most certainly care about their album sales. U2 have been whining about No Line selling "only" 5 million for over a year now.

I take that back, didn't realize both Every Teardrop and Paradise broke top 20.

Thought Every Teardrop peaked in the high 30s for some reason.

I'm not sure which group you are referring to here, but let's be clear - both Coldplay and U2 most certainly care about their album sales.

I was referring to Coldplay. I know they care about their album sales, but I'm just saying it seemed their main focus was [is] on the single, not the album.

Paradise hit the top 20? I haven't heard it on the radio once.

Teardrop was everywhere but I don't hear it much anymore.

Side note: I heard "Princess of China" on 104.3, New York's classic rock station a couple days ago.

I almost had to pull over and cry in my car.

Paradise hit the top 20? I haven't heard it on the radio once.

Teardrop was everywhere but I don't hear it much anymore.

I was shocked to see that, too. Only place I've seen Paradise was the World Series.

I know Teardrop was around, but I still thought it peaked relatively lower than it actually did.

I'm sure MX will have better sales-chart staying power than NLOTH, though. If I remember right, U2 had their usual first-week blowout number, but then sales dropped off dramatically.

It's odd to me that Bono has been whining lately in interviews about whether U2 "is even relevant any more," etc. I'm like, dude: when has the U2 sound been MORE relevant? Look at Coldplay: a band that is probably the biggest U2 rip-off band ever (and I genuinely like Coldplay, buy their records, etc.) and even uses Eno as their producer is topping the charts. Other popular bands, like Arcade Fire, the Killers, and others in the indie scene, are embracing that soaring, "big melody" sound that U2 made famous. Even music mags/blogs are picking up on the trend ( Poptimist: Sonic Cathedrals | Features | Pitchfork ) ...

Sad that he spent more time talking about The Waterboys than Shuttlecock. Isn't The Joshua Cock the pinnacle of the type of music he's talking about?

FINALLY got to my second listen. I fucking love it. It's gonna end up in my top ten for the year without a doubt. I think it's more consistent than Viva. Charlie Brown and Hurts Like Heaven are among the best things they've done. And as I've perused this thread I've been a bit :huh: by people saying Every Teardrop is amazing. I thought, well it's certainly not bad, but enough with the hyperbole. But it's not. Within the context of the album it's brilliant, in spite of the crap title and crap lyrics.

Truly a great album. :heart:

I should probably listen to this album again. Everyone seems to like it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom