Coldplay: Chris Martin And His Xylo Toes - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think the police is gonna show up at your door and arrest you for downloading an album through a torrent site?

No, and I'm not even saying that I don't do it, myself.

I'm just baffled by your question. I'm pretty sure that's the reason that people buy music ditigally.

I'm sure there are some people who don't know how to find and download an album for free online, but it should not be the least bit surprising that not everyone is interested in illegal downloading.

Legal or illegal, I've never feel that I actually own the music if I've downloaded it from the internet.

LuckyNumber7 said:
Why would it be just as stupid of a question?

It's my understanding that illegally downloading music is becoming easier and easier.

Because a lot of people here really really like music and enjoy spending money on it...?

It is, and I download illegally, but why the hell are people :eyebrow: all of a sudden that others are buying?

LuckyNumber7 said:

It's my understanding that illegally downloading music is becoming easier and easier.
It isn't a question of being able to download. It's about having respect for the artist who made the music you love.

For the record, I also download illegally (a lot) but I try to buy the albums I like.

Car dude, you seem to be suggesting that we buy because we're afraid of the repercussions of illegal downloading. I mean, scumbo's a pretty good shot with a musket, but that's so not the reason.

Yes, but not everyone thinks it's right or okay to do so. And that shouldn't be a surprise.

That's why "why not just download it for free somewhere" is a stupid question.

Because a lot of people here really really like music and enjoy spending money on it...?

It is, and I download illegally, but why the hell are people :eyebrow: all of a sudden that others are buying?

Definitely I'm not doubting it. I'm just saying that over the past decade there's been a severe drop in the percentage of people who continue to buy the music. I'm not questioning whether or not more people buy music than illegally download it. Just pointing out that illegal downloads are going up and legal ones are probably going down.

LuckyNumber7 said:

Because it's illegal and ease of gaining it shouldn't stop you from realizing that.

This isn't a case of ethics.

'who actually buys music these days?'

That's got nothing to do with what you think is right and what you think is wrong. You can't deny that more and more people are illegally downloading and sharing music, and less and less people are buying their music.

I fail to see how that's 'just as stupid of a question'.

There is a value judgment implicit in the question of "who buys music these days," suggesting that one who downloads illegally is savvier than one who purchases music. The suggestion is that purchasing music is somehow unintelligent; it cannot possibly have been meant as an honest question, as the continued existence of iTunes and Amazon MP3 clearly demonstrates that plenty of people still do buy music. So it's not so much a "stupid question" as it is an asinine assumption of superiority concerning the relatively trivial issue of attaining music.

There is a value judgment implicit in the question of "who buys music these days," suggesting that one who downloads illegally is savvier than one who purchases music. The suggestion is that purchasing music is somehow unintelligent; it cannot possibly have been meant as an honest question, as the continued existence of iTunes and Amazon MP3 clearly demonstrates that plenty of people still do buy music. So it's not so much a "stupid question" as it is an asinine assumption of superiority concerning the relatively trivial issue of attaining music.

There's nothing suggestive about it. I have no idea where it is implied that one is 'more savvy' for illegally downloading music. That's ridiculous. The only thing it implies is that nobody is buying their music anymore. Of course, that statement is a bit extreme. But much in the sense that if I'm still listening to CDs, you're going to ask 'who listens to CDs anymore?' not because I'm 'not savvy' but because digital music has taken over. It is trending up, and the days of a physical medium are dying.

This is so ridiculous. There's nothing in the context of 'superiority' related in there. It's factual. Illegal downloadings are trending up, legal ones are trending down.

There's nothing suggestive about it. I have no idea where it is implied that one is 'more savvy' for illegally downloading music. That's ridiculous. The only thing it implies is that nobody is buying their music anymore. Of course, that statement is a bit extreme. But much in the sense that if I'm still listening to CDs, you're going to ask 'who listens to CDs anymore?' not because I'm 'not savvy' but because digital music has taken over. It is trending up, and the days of a physical medium are dying.

This is so ridiculous. There's nothing in the context of 'superiority' related in there. It's factual. Illegal downloadings are trending up, legal ones are trending down.

Here's the initial statement: "What kind of person buys music on iTunes?"

This is clearly a rhetorical statement. The grammatical structure involving "what kind of person" posits different groups: one that does buy via iTunes and one that does not. It can't honestly be questioning whether anyone still purchases music because the structure of the sentence already acknowledges that people do. It's neither an earnest question nor a factual statement by its very structure. It's intentionally condescending. You're just looking for an argument here.

Here's the initial statement: "What kind of person buys music on iTunes?"

This is clearly a rhetorical statement. The grammatical structure involving "what kind of person" posits different groups: one that does buy via iTunes and one that does not. It can't honestly be questioning whether anyone still purchases music because the structure of the sentence already acknowledges that people do. It's neither an earnest question nor a factual statement by its very structure. It's intentionally condescending. You're just looking for an argument here.

Okay clearly nobody actually reads what's written here, then.

The original statement has very little relevance. My statement, "who actually buys music these days" was called equally as stupid.

So go ahead and reassess what you'd like to say, because you're talking about something relatively unrelated to what I was talking about.

I think he was addressing car guy, not you. So you're right, it is a relativelg unrelated argument.

I know you probably wish this discussion was centered around your post, but it isn't.

I think he was addressing car guy, not you. So you're right, it is a relativelg unrelated argument.

I know you probably wish this discussion was centered around your post, but it isn't.

What an obnoxious thing to say. Seven times a post either directly quoted my post or was responding directly under my post. If he's not talking to me, that's his fault, not mine.

lazarus said:

I have nothing to add because I'm a thief and don't want to hang myself, but this made me laugh.

That's why "why not just download it for free somewhere" is a stupid question.
It's the actually the opposite. The majority of people today would consider stupid the fact that people still buy digital music through online stores, this has to do with digital music as downloads, not physical CD's.

This decision of buying digital music online is stupid, this does not have to do with the person's intelligence because it's completely unrelated. A person who buys digital music online is not categorized as inferior or stupid, it's just the decision of buying that is stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom