Coldplay: Chris Martin And His Xylo Toes - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I stopped to think about it, I probably did end up paying almost double for most of that experience (save for being punched or almost-punched).

.... oof. I just won't think about it.

Yeah. I think the days, however fleeting, of me travelling long distances to see concerts are over. I can't muster the excitement I once could, and my money could be used for more practical things.

That said, I'm waiting for an announcement of Radiohead east coast dates, and for Coldplay to announce a Moncton date, which I will go to since it's now relatively close to where I live. That's the only music-related travel I will do in 2012.

That's ridiculous.

Edit: that's for Trojanchick. Felt like that was an important clarification. :lol:

Yeah, I don't know that I'd do something that wacky again, even for U2. Although the odds of them playing a) somewhere that remote; and b) someplace that involves a camping scenario are fairly low.

Unless they play Moncton again, which could be possible. In which case, I'd pass. ...... unless it was billed as their last concert ever, in which case I would do it, but do it differently. Including offering one million dollars to whomever lives in one of those houses right by the venue, so I can just spend the night there.

Some things to definitely consider here (ooh, I hope the cancelling thing doesn't happen with the show I want to see), thanks for the tips, everyone.

I'm going to travel, though, 'cause first off, it's not THAT far a drive to either Minneapolis (little over 2, close to 3 hours) or to Chicago (I think that one's, like, 6 hours, or something, can't remember now, but I can definitely get there in a day), and second, because I haven't gone out and done anything even remotely fun in a while, so a concert would be a good evening out. Tickets are a little pricey, yeah, but eh, if the show's good, I'll consider it worth it.

On an unrelated topic, I heard the song last night that Chris did with Kanye West, "Homecoming", and now I cannot get that piano or chorus out of my head.

Yes, I'd wait on that.

90 minutes? That sucks. I did see the setlist that they have been using, and I was surprised at how short it was. They have so much great music to choose from.

The real question is why can't Coldplay do General Admission? God look at that amazing production and it's being wasted on a seated field. Furthermore, you take away the opportunity of putting your most passionate fans up front and you replace them with your richest. Shame, really. Sounds like this whole production is just a real shame considering how good it can be.

I'm agreed on that, too. I'm guessing the seats thing has to do with some of the tragedies that have occurred at concerts in the past, but still...I have to think there's a way to keep the concertgoers safe while still managing to have everyone be able to move wherever the hell they want to in the venue.

There was no seating, only standing room at the Crowded House show I was at. That made it that much more fun (that and the fact that I was right up front :D).

I'm guessing the seats thing has to do with some of the tragedies that have occurred at concerts in the past,

I don't think that's still a lingering concern (assuming you're talking about The Who tragedy in the late '70s), because many acts do the non-seated GA thing. I think if that was still "a thing," fewer acts would do that, or fewer venues would allow it.

I know there have been other tragedies in Europe, at festivals and the like, but US arena shows aren't at that level of clusterfuck.

I don't think that's still a lingering concern (assuming you're talking about The Who tragedy in the late '70s), because many acts do the non-seated GA thing. I think if that was still "a thing," fewer acts would do that, or fewer venues would allow it.

I was thinking of that, but I seem to recall there's been a few other ones, too. Shootings at some and the fire at that nightclub in Rhode Island a number of years ago and things of that sort.

I don't know how much control bands would have over that, I'm assuming much of that is the say of the venues themselves as well. Especially if it's a venue that showcases things besides bands.

But then again, my concert experience is horribly limited, so I don't know if places adapt to each event or what.

I know there have been other tragedies in Europe, at festivals and the like, but US arena shows aren't at that level of clusterfuck.

I've been to plenty of arena shows with GA floor, Muse, Foo Fighters, U2, Incubus, No Doubt. So in my area it's not a concern. It's possible the insurance costs more, but that shouldn't matter to a band like Coldplay. For whatever reason, they have consistently chosen to do seated floors for at least the past 3 tours in the US only. I have no idea why.

Oh so you are now implying that Americans are more elegant and less crazy than Europeans?

No. I meant that the situations were clusterfucks. Because call me crazy, but if a concert crowd leads to people being crushed and/or trampled, I'd call that a clusterfuck of a situation.

But by all means, please carry on with the general obnoxiousness you've been spreading all over this site for the last few months.

I was thinking of that, but I seem to recall there's been a few other ones, too. Shootings at some and the fire at that nightclub in Rhode Island a number of years ago and things of that sort..

True. But I don't think GA vs seats would prevent either situation.

I'm guessing Coldplay (or LiveNation?) went with this arrangement because they wanted to get hundreds of dollars for front row seats. I think it's as simple as that.

And you know, honestly, I don't have a problem with that. knock yourselves out, boys. Just expect a lot of flack for it.

They're also catching flack for not putting MX on Spotify and other streaming services, but I guess they believe they will ultimately sell more records that way.

If you ask me, it's just giving people an excuse to download it, but it's there business so... :shrug:

I don't think Coldplay's music lends itself to becoming "clusterfucks", in the same way that U2's music doesn't. It's not like there will be tons of people moshing or whatever on the floor, so the only reason there are seats is to get as much money as possible.

I wonder, however, why a band like U2 has GA (at least the last 3 tours) and Coldplay does not, even though they're both with LiveNation.

No, you have to buy a specific seat. The closer they are, the more they cost. :crack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom