Coldplay: Chris Martin And His Xylo Toes - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't Panic, Spies, Sparks and We Never Change are my faves, and i think the track Parachutes is a tiny piece of perfection... i do love all of the tracks - there are none i skip (that's saying something for me as i have a serious track-skipping problem ha)... so i really enjoy the whole album... think it's beautiful...

I fully agree. I personally hate skipping tracks, even if it's one I don't like-if I'm in the mood to listen to an album I listen straight through-but even so, yes, not a bad track on that album at all. Not often that happens, so it's always a treasure when something like that comes along.

yeah re. MOS - it was really weird, it just struck me on first listening - something about the bass and rhythm progression from 34 sec to 1 min precisely and repeated in the song [end nerd speak lol!!!], but they take it somewhere more joyful as opposed to the more morose vibe of MOS (i don't mean that as an insult to MOS though - every mood has its place ;) )

Huh. I may have to go back and see if I can hear that again. Incidentally, 3:10 to about 3:22 or so is my particular favorite bit of the song "Paradise". That section, for me, is one of those musical "sweet spots".

Oddly enough, I never thought of "Moment Of Surrender" as a down song. Every time I hear it I feel like I should be getting baptized (well, for me, it'd be getting baptized again, 'cause I was baptized as a child, but...yeah :p).

Oh, definitely, but it's good to see these big names suddenly realize that eastern Canada doesn't end with Montreal.

I just hope the weather is different on concert day than it was on July 30, 2011. :crack:

Ya for sure. Going to the Moncton show was the first time I'd travelled past Quebec and I thought it was gorgeous.

That weather sucked :down: But it was all worth it to be at the last 360 show :D

Well, what became an idea "might" become reality. I "might" fly up to Miami in the summer to catch Coldplay at the American Airlines Arena on June 29th. I told my uncle who lives in Miami, and he started taking it seriously when I'm not even planning to go.

I would love to go, but I'm holding myself back. We shall see. Tickets are $46.50, $76.50 and $96.50. That's nothing compared to other concerts. :hyper:

Got the album yesterday and was pretty disappointed. Parachutes and Rush of Blood were amazing, X & Y decent but the most recent releases have been average at best. MY is just a bit dull (I know that criticism is often levelled at them but their first two albums were defo not boring). Every Teardrop is okay as is princess but thats about it. Shame.

Got the album yesterday and was pretty disappointed. Parachutes and Rush of Blood were amazing, X & Y decent but the most recent releases have been average at best. MY is just a bit dull (I know that criticism is often levelled at them but their first two albums were defo not boring). Every Teardrop is okay as is princess but thats about it. Shame.

I agree. I lost interest after X & Y. I Feel their music is overrated, much of it sounds the same to me.

u2popmofo said:
I've heard this very same argument used about U2 dozens of times.

And it's laughably uninformed every time.

Lemon > I Threw A Brick Through A Window :drool:

:lol: I never would have made that connection on my own, but as soon as I read that, BAM, I heard it in my head.

MY is just a bit dull (I know that criticism is often levelled at them but their first two albums were defo not boring).

I personally agree with you on that sentiment (A Rush of Blood to the Head has one hell of an opening setup-5 great songs/singles right off the bat alone). I do find it funny, though, how, if they had continued in the vein of their first albums, they would've gotten that criticism forever. But when they try something new people aren't happy with that, either.

Same old story, I guess. Can't please everyone (and this band seems like they'll be hard to please no matter what they try, just because of the strong opinions about them in general). I personally think they're getting increasingly better with each release, but if their new stuff isn't doing it for somebody, that's cool.

I like X&Y. It could definitely use some editing down, but there are some really lovely gems on there, including one of my top 5 Coldplay songs ("Fix You").

No, but it does sound a hell of a lot like Rise Above to me.

:lol: I never would have made that connection on my own, but as soon as I read that, BAM, I heard it in my head.

really? i can't see the connection off the top of my head, but might have to listen lol!

it was the base/percussion line re. MOS - they're pretty much identical for the parts i mentioned in a later post in this thread, though somewhat slowed down...

part of me wondered about that sequence Eno mentioned a few years ago when he was working with both bands - something like he thought it was genius but didn't know which band to share it with LOL :D :wink:

I personally agree with you on that sentiment (A Rush of Blood to the Head has one hell of an opening setup-5 great songs/singles right off the bat alone). I do find it funny, though, how, if they had continued in the vein of their first albums, they would've gotten that criticism forever. But when they try something new people aren't happy with that, either.

Same old story, I guess. Can't please everyone (and this band seems like they'll be hard to please no matter what they try, just because of the strong opinions about them in general). I personally think they're getting increasingly better with each release, but if their new stuff isn't doing it for somebody, that's cool.

I like X&Y. It could definitely use some editing down, but there are some really lovely gems on there, including one of my top 5 Coldplay songs ("Fix You").

I totally agree. About "Fix You," I've been listening to it a lot lately (personal reasons) and it is in my top 5 songs, not just Coldplay songs. :heart:

Damn that "Princess if China." Once it gets stuck in your head.....

I totally agree. About "Fix You," I've been listening to it a lot lately (personal reasons) and it is in my top 5 songs, not just Coldplay songs. :heart:

Yeah, same here. I've always loved that song, but it's become increasingly meaningful to me in the last couple of years, I can relate so much to the words. It's basically the musical equivalent of a big, comforting, reassuring hug, the kind you really need every now and again (and the best part is how sincere Chris is when he's singing the song. There's an honesty there I find really refreshing). I don't care how many times I hear this song, by the time it gets to the, "Lights will guide you home..." part, tears are in my eyes.

And you're also right that it's a top song in general.

Damn that "Princess if China." Once it gets stuck in your head.....

Catchy, isn't it :D? Yeah, I really like that song, too. I'd be curious to see what a video for it would be like.

Yeah, same here. I've always loved that song, but it's become increasingly meaningful to me in the last couple of years, I can relate so much to the words. It's basically the musical equivalent of a big, comforting, reassuring hug, the kind you really need every now and again (and the best part is how sincere Chris is when he's singing the song. There's an honesty there I find really refreshing). I don't care how many times I hear this song, by the time it gets to the, "Lights will guide you home..." part, tears are in my eyes.

I had someone I care about go through a rough time recently, so it really reminds me of them. I love the way you describe it. That is exactly how it feels to me as well. :heart:

Thanks for sharing that video cobl. It is amazing! I can't wait to see them. :love:

I like some Coldplay stuff, dislike others. I cannot stand Fix You. The first three minutes is an organ with Chris Martin singing an octave too high.

it's hard for me to get past the clunky suceeeeeeeeee-eeeeeeeeeeeeeed and neeeee-eeeeeeeeeeeed rhyme at the start of Fix You. the vocal melody feels elementary school.

and then following it up with a "tears streaming" face cliche and the octave thing, as PhilsFan said, and it's difficult to ever really get into the song.

Wow, way to take a song that means something to someone and shit all over it. :up:

Okay, moving on.

Viva la Vida is a pretty shit song, aye?

(Violet Hill is better ohoho)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom