Coldplay: Chris Martin And His Xylo Toes - Part 2 - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #241
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,674
Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00
This decision of buying digital music online is stupid
Why?
__________________

Diemen is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #242
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,491
Local Time: 03:31 AM
You're an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie

Here's the initial statement: "What kind of person buys music on iTunes?"

This is clearly a rhetorical statement. The grammatical structure involving "what kind of person" posits different groups: one that does buy via iTunes and one that does not. It can't honestly be questioning whether anyone still purchases music because the structure of the sentence already acknowledges that people do. It's neither an earnest question nor a factual statement by its very structure. It's intentionally condescending. You're just looking for an argument here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212
I think I love you.
This was exactly my reaction. You had me at "grammatical structure"

Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine
Numbers, minus the snarl and the nipples
__________________

cobl04 is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #243
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Okay clearly nobody actually reads what's written here, then.

The original statement has very little relevance. My statement, "who actually buys music these days" was called equally as stupid.

So go ahead and reassess what you'd like to say, because you're talking about something relatively unrelated to what I was talking about.
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #244
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,674
Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04
You're an idiot.
C'mon, cobbler.
Diemen is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #245
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,908
Local Time: 01:31 PM
I wish I got it.
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #246
War Child
 
Dfit00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 897
Local Time: 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Why?
Because you can easily go to a torrent site, put the mouse pointer on the search space, type whatever album you want, wait for the search results, and download it without having to pay anything. And if you are going to argue that it is unethical or somehow against the artist's rights, all I can tell you is that there is no comprehensive way of controlling illegal file sharing, and that artists earn most of their wealth from touring rather than from album sales.
Dfit00 is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #247
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,900
Local Time: 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00 View Post
Because you can easily go to a torrent site, put the mouse pointer on the search space, type whatever album you want, wait for the search results, and download it without having to pay anything.
Would you work for free?
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #248
War Child
 
Dfit00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 897
Local Time: 01:31 PM
Artists or bands don't work for free, as I stated, almost all of their cash comes from touring than from album sales.
Dfit00 is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #249
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,900
Local Time: 02:31 PM
I somewhat expected this answer. Except you're wrong. For every U2, Radiohead, or Coldplay, there are 10 bands out there that are struggling to get by and have to do all they can to make ends meet. So taking away a revenue stream for them isn't going to help matters much.
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #250
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00 View Post
Artists or bands don't work for free, as I stated, almost all of their cash comes from touring than from album sales.
Because of people like you.
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #251
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
mobvok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: boom clap
Posts: 4,435
Local Time: 09:31 AM
I would just add to the celestial firmament of this discussion that when I do choose to buy singles and the such, it's out of appreciation for the band.

That is stupid? Or is the argument even broader then that, the idea that monetizing appreciation is inherently dumb?
mobvok is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #252
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,977
Local Time: 03:31 AM
Why does every Coldplay thread have to devolve into some barely related argument?
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #253
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,908
Local Time: 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Why does every Coldplay thread have to devolve into some barely related argument?
It's in their nature.
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #254
War Child
 
Dfit00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 897
Local Time: 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
I somewhat expected this answer. Except you're wrong. For every U2, Radiohead, or Coldplay, there are 10 bands out there that are struggling to get by and have to do all they can to make ends meet. So taking away a revenue stream for them isn't going to help matters much.
Since when has been getting inside the music industry, or any career field, an easy task?

The internet has completely changed the music industry, that's why today bands can't release a single or album and expect a market to like it and make millions. Those days did exist in the past but they are now over. It is up to their talents and efforts to make themselves recognized and accepted through some other way if they want to make a living out of it, not mentioning that music by itself apart from entertainment and culture, does not contribute anything meaningful to society in the long run unlike a scientist, medical researcher, economists, or other valuable professionals.
Dfit00 is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #255
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,642
Local Time: 10:31 AM
Come on, Dfit. It's not like this is an evolutionary situation where those of us who have "discovered" illegal downloading have progressed beyond those who have not. People have specific reasons for purchasing music: ethics, sentimentality, quality, etc. and the money saved on downloading music illegally would not outweigh those reasons in their eyes.

I don't buy music because I have absolutely no disposable income that could be spent on albums. When I can manage it, I always attend the gigs of bands I love. If I were to be a purist and only listened to music I purchased, I would be completely uninformed and would inevitably cut gigs out also. Thankfully, Grooveshark and my parents' Rhapsody account are available to me so I can listen to as much music as anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver
Why does every Coldplay thread have to devolve into some barely related argument?
It's more interesting than discussing new Coldplay music.
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #256
Blue Crack Addict
 
the tourist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 27,919
Local Time: 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfit00 View Post
Artists or bands don't work for free, as I stated, almost all of their cash comes from touring than from album sales.
One of my favorite artists doesn't tour ever. Because he couldn't make enough money to live as an artist. He has to work on his albums between running a trucking business and providing for his family. Thanks to the advent of illegal download. I'm not going to say I don't because I do. But not all artists can tour. That is why I buy all of that artist's material always.
the tourist is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #257
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,977
Local Time: 03:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
It's in their nature.
You're not helping.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #258
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,908
Local Time: 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
You're not helping.
Not my fault I put up a perfectly fine argument, got chucked into an unnecessary grouping, and then got called out for 'thinking that my post is the center of the discussion' after y'know... I was only responding to those who responded to me.

Seriously, I don't get what the hell is up. What'd I do to get that kind of reaction? Hmm?
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #259
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,491
Local Time: 03:31 AM
I just don't get why you argue about semantics. Both this and the "14 songs" argument aren't worth giving more than two seconds of thought too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen

C'mon, cobbler.
Sorry, diemen. He's being a bit of a dick though. Maybe he spends a lot of money on his car; I'd call that stupid, because it's not my hobby - buying good music is.
cobl04 is offline  
Old 11-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #260
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,642
Local Time: 10:31 AM
For the record, I too consider purchasing digital files to be a waste of money. If I'm going to purchase an album, I want to purchase the entire experience of unwrapping the cellophane, examining the cover art, and so on. I don't feel as if I really "own" an album if it's a collection of files on my computer, regardless of the money exchanged. Digital music files have only a utilitarian purpose, offering the listener the music but little else. As a result, MP3s are cheaper than physical albums, but you are basically throwing your money away unless you purchased the vinyl, in which case the digital files may not be available to you. Personally, I wouldn't feel guilty downloading the album if I've already purchased it, but hey.
__________________

LemonMelon is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×