Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
Well, lets start 2012 off with some fun, shall we?

Last year, Cloud Nothings' self titled album was the second or third I heard for that year. It was ok, but nothing to write home about. When I heard they already had another album coming out, I got pretty pumped, because the potential for greatness was definitely present.

What the new album has to offer is pretty much non-stop rock, sometimes on the pop side, sometimes punk, and once even a little metal. It's a brezzy fun album to just chill with, and it's not going to take a lot of your time either.

A few samples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtkePLlTUcY

Which P4K actually gave BNT I see,
Cloud Nothings: "Stay Useless" | Tracks | Pitchfork

And:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsmaTq-T4zE
For an idea of how harsh his vocals can get sometimes.

And just for the fun of it, my favorite track off the last album, one of my favorites of the year, actually:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cDQxh8CN6w

So, kick back and enjoy the fun, I think you will, there's a lot of great music here, I just don't want to fill the thread with clips. The album's due out soon, but, uh, yeah, it's leaked. It should be out soon though.

Plus, hey, for now it's my favorite album of 2012.

Whoever (Laz?) said that Steve Albini is just an engineer and has no creative input couldn't be more wrong. He randomly turned these guys into a post-hardcore band. I like the album fine, but it wasn't what I was expecting at all. Maybe they were trying to impress him or something by screaming a lot.

It's OK, but just doesn't quite deliver on its promise. I thought I'd love it given the hype on RYM, but it didn't really leave an impression on me; it sounds better in description than it actually is.

Heard it again and still am giving it the same score I did before, but I really do enjoy it a lot.

I streamed this album a couple weeks back and was pleasantly surprised. The first track sucked me in, mesmerizing build up and crescendo, and the rest of it was pretty kickin' too. Old school emo? post hardcore? Whatever. I just liked it immediately and plan on getting it.

:applaud: I'm glad to hear that. I think, as short as it is, for there to be 4 or 5 songs as good as some of those on there, it's an immediate purchase...yet I haven't bought it yet. Soon.

I listened to Stay Useless this morning and liked it. Listened to the other track from the album that Pitchfork has, and it sorta went in one ear and out the other. I'll have to check the album out on Spotify sometime.

I listened to this on my morning commute today. They do a decent job of genre bending, though most of the tracks drift back to punk/metal at some point. At any rate, I needed a straight up rocker and I will definitely be listening to this one again.

Stay Useless was probably the standout track for me. Really enjoyed the instrumental in the middle as well.

Very powerful album both musically and emotionally. A true keeper.

It's an enjoyable. Short but powerfull. However, the vocals do get on my nerves after a while.

I'm really warming up to this album. The first two tracks are ace. Stay Useless sounds like it could be a Strokes song, and a good one at that.

I will, in about a month. I hope they play most songs of their newest album?

Damn.

Um, I still can't figure this out, but I'm pretty sure I like it. Shedding some poppiness also agrees with me, yet I'm still having a hard time accepting the out of tune screaming as anything but contrived.

It'll be in my top 10. I didn't know I liked punk music before I heard this album.

This isn't really a punk rock album though, it's more post-hardcore or melodic hardcore than, like, The Ramones or something. Check out some other bands Steve Albini has produced over the years for more albums that sound like this one.

Yeah, there's no sub category of punk rock to put this into. Although I'm working on making one up, I think hipstercorepunkwave. I have decided I like it.

The new one is streaming on NPR apparently. I will probably listen to it when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom