class of 1967: sgt peppers vs doors s/t

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allbecauseofu2

Refugee
i think this is a great comparison. two iconic albums . From 1967. And while sgt pepper is gonna win out in the end, its really not as far away in terms on quality. if you look at the classics on the doors album, the trio of "light my fire" "break on through" and "the end" backed up by some near classics and good album cuts, its certainly can stand on its own vs any album. I mean in terms of groundbreaking studio tricks and recording process its the beatles. But in terms of going song for song or breaking it down the doors can be the far behind. I think its a good comparison.

Albums of 1967 that are superior to The Doors' self-titled:

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
Love - Forever Changes
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen
Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You
The Kinks - Something Else by The Kinks
Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk
The Left Banke - Walk Away Renée / Pretty Ballerina
Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield Again
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
Moby Grape - Moby Grape

Albums of 1967 that are superior to The Doors' self-titled:

The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
Love - Forever Changes
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced
Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold as Love
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen
Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You
The Kinks - Something Else by The Kinks
Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk
The Left Banke - Walk Away Renée / Pretty Ballerina
Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield Again
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
Moby Grape - Moby Grape

Not sure if I agree with ALL of these, but pretty spot-on.

And I don't even dislike The Doors.

IMHO, I'd put Hendrix "Are You Experienced" and "The Velvet Underground & Nico" over both the Beatles and the Doors.

The Velvet Underground & Nico is VASTLY superior to nearly every album ever released. Nearly, mind you.

...and yet, I prefer Loaded and the self-titled VU album...

White Light/White Heat and self-titled for me.

VU & Nico is just...inconsistent. Often excellent, but inconsistent. Sure, it has Sunday Morning, I'm Waiting For The Man, and Heroin, three stone-cold classics, but Run Run Run and European Son are dead to me.

That being said, I do consider it superior to The Doors' self-titled, because I like more than just those three songs. There are maybe four songs on Doors' s/t that I get anything out of anymore. Nearly the entire second half is lukewarm.

Well, to clarify--their four studio albums are four of the best albums of all time. To hell with just the '60s. I was trying to limit myself just to '67, but whatever works. I'd say that Loaded is the weakest, but that's like saying that water-to-wine is the weakest miracle, when compared to rising from the dead. Shit's still pretty fucking tight.

I think Loaded may the weakest as an "album", but song-for-song it's the strongest, in my opinion.

Who Loves the Sun
Sweet Jane
Rock and Roll
New Age
I Found a Reason
Oh! Sweet Nuthin
Lonesome Cowboy Bill

Just great songwriting, even if its the most straightforward stuff Reed wrote. And it's difficult to reconcile the fact that Moe Tucker isn't on the album (even though she received credit for playing on it), and that Doug Yule sings lead vocals on four of those songs mentioned above.

Loaded is really good. Nico has slid in front of it recently, but I can't deny the rush that Rock And Roll gives me. One of the greatest love letters to music of all time. OF ALL TIME.

However, Lonesome Cowboy Bill is crap. Not sure what you see in it, Laz.

51H49KPP9KL.jpg

if you don;t like the doors then you don;t like the doors. i understand that for some people. but for the people that like both bands in question , you basically got the end vs day in the life, light my fire vs sgt pepper title track etc. For me personally i mean that doors s/t has 3 classics , and a bunch of near classics/good album cuts. That means for me the album will never be "blown away" by anything, even if it loses out to a better album. I also gonna have a different view then someone who was around back then. I wasn't. So that's gonna to influence my view. i have never obviously heard "the end" or "day in the life" without the knowledge of the sad, devastating, premature deaths of lennon/morrison. But also i have heard live cuts from the doors s/t. Due to the fact the Beatles stopped touring before the album. Songs grow into something else live. the doors did that with songs. "The end" live for doors fans is epic. We don;t know what all 4 Beatles would have with that stuff live.

it was a comment on people who dislike the doors where its not even a consideration for what album is better.

didn't know their was a limit on how many times a band could be threaded. and at least with the doors vs clash thread, while i stand by it, i can understand the odd looks and "its apples vs oranges" response. This time its really not a weird idea. Two classic rock albums from the same year, that in some songs explored the same style of music. apples vs apples.

Btw, I haven't even listened to the BeeGees album I posted. It was just an attempt to provide a WTF moment in a Beatles/Doors thread.

Anyway,

Sgt. Peppers :up: but not their best album.
The Doors :up: and their best album.

That's all I have to contribute.

Back
Top Bottom