Cheating in music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to know what you guys thought about this I found on Google. There was 2 other web pages I found on the same subject, one of which appeared to in Swedish or something which I couldn't understand but I have tried to look for them on MSN as well but both have seemed to have dissapered.

freddynet.vox.com/library/post/autotune-overkill.html

Well I used to think that the man had more dignity in himself than to sink so low and copy everyone else. Mary J is a pop singer much like Mariah and Celine. Donna Sotto Morettini said so on page xi and 145 in her book on popular singer. She describes pop music as anything presented in lite form whereby the melody, lyrics and timbre of the voice are pleasant but not outstanding or unsual. She says that although pop singing requires more skill then many types of singing (such as rock singing, which is more about emotion), but is less about honesty and more about craft. They need great pitch and pleasant tone, which can make them seem bland and without style. I always says that if you're more concerned about pitching accurately without any slurs then something has got to give and that something is emotion.

Many singers used to slur their pitch: Stevie Wonder, Louis Armstrong, Robert Plant, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, Elvis Presley & Costello, Tom Yorke, Aretha Franklin, Chaka Khan, Billie Holiday, most Blues singers, Patsy Cline, Frank Sinatra, etc, etc.

I was on one forum where this silly woman said that whilst she was listening to Frank she thought he needed autotune! I still think these above singers, including, Bono are better pitchwise than these singers:

Tom Waits, Bob Dylan, Hank Williams, Iggy Pop, John Lydon, the singer from Embrace who on his first album seems to be unable to hold a note like Anthony Kiedis (RHCP's use autotune a lot and that's why I snapped the CD in half and put them in the bin.)

I like my singers to have a great or unsual distinctive timbre than be perfectly in tune. Big George agrees with me on this one. Upon hearing Mariah, Celine and Mary in recent weeks on the radio I really don't think they have the most outstanding voices. Not like Alicia Keys, Whitney, Aretha, Tina Turner or Lauryn Hill. But I suppose the thrill of appearing in a bad version of his own song is more important than his reputation.

Sarah Palin must be really bored.

Grow a brainstem, educate yourself and talk about topics you know something about...

i don't think the intelligence center is in the brain stem, more like located in one of the lobes or something. but i get your point, the starter of this thread definitely seems a little light on the gray matter.

screw hating on pitch-correction software, let's hear about that goddamn echo effect that makes vocals sound as if they were recorded under water. that stuff is truly evil.

i don't think the intelligence center is in the brain stem, more like located in one of the lobes or something. but i get your point, the starter of this thread definitely seems a little light on the gray matter.

screw hating on pitch-correction software, let's hear about that goddamn echo effect that makes vocals sound as if they were recorded under water. that stuff is truly evil.

Well courage doesn't really come from the backbone, but I'm glad you got my point...:wink:

No. The Fly would never have occurred naturally anyway, and it's obvious. It's pitch correction methods that is wrong and it is cheating. What do you think of drug cheats in sport? By your argument you could also say that vitamins that are prescribed legally for athletes is cheating just as much as steroids are.

Training is also cheating, as are warming up and then allowing the body to cool down after exercise.

A LINE NEEDS TO BE DRAWN

No line needs to be drawn in music, or you stop it from evolving, it's not a competition like sport. It's quite a bad analogy you used there, and you have some weird opinions on music:huh:

Just on the 'intelligence' discussion though, there is no 'intelligence centre' in the brain, it's more an overall capacity of the brain, how it's connected up and what not that creates 'intelligence'. It's a combination of everything the brain does really.

No. The Fly would never have occurred naturally anyway, and it's obvious. It's pitch correction methods that is wrong and it is cheating. What do you think of drug cheats in sport? By your argument you could also say that vitamins that are prescribed legally for athletes is cheating just as much as steroids are.

Training is also cheating, as are warming up and then allowing the body to cool down after exercise.

A LINE NEEDS TO BE DRAWN

:huh:

an unusual perspective that makes no sense but ok whatever floats ur boat.

A LINE NEEDS TO BE DRAWN

Please visit Free Your Mind sometime. I would be fascinated by your thoughts on politics.

Umm,

You really need to get over autotune. It's no big conspiracy or anything. It's a pretty useful tool actually, though it's best used more transparently to correct for limitations in recording sessions, like if a singer is ill, or is just having a bad day or whatever. However it's no secret that a good majority of pop singers use it quite a bit these days to get "perfect" vocals. Whatever. I don't like using it myself, it does remove a bit of the personality from a vocal track if you use it too much or incorrectly, but hell, that's business.

A LINE NEEDS TO BE DRAWN

:huh: Wow, nothing in this post makes sense...

I probably shouldn't be derailing this thread any further, but this is highly innacurate. Training is NECESSARY for athletes to improve and maintain their skills, and warm-up/cool-down is ESSENTIAL so that you don't injure yourself. How in the hell is that cheating?! Basic common sense.

:banghead:

Sorry. :reject:

This thread is almost as amusing if not more than the "tribute bands are enemies of art" thread.

So with the logic displayed here in this thread, makeup should be banned then. Women should always show their true faces. :wink:

This thread is almost as amusing if not more than the "tribute bands are enemies of art" thread.

So with the logic displayed here in this thread, makeup should be banned then. Women should always show their true faces. :wink:

We need to ban clothes too!
And hair products!
And glasses!
And hearing-aids!
And Amps!
And Microphones!
And Effects Pedals!

Guys we can not allow this cheating to continue :sad:

:bow: cactus annie, you are a genius. i shall now refer to you in the plural. i dub thee cacti annies (with the now-acceptable cactuses annies).

at least no amount of studio magic can make the awful Rihanna sound like she can sing

star_double_tom_webb_.jpg

Post Of The Year™

:up: :up:

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on tribute bands... :shifty:

A LINE NEEDS TO BE DRAWN

YTMND - Picard Teaches Art Class

Also: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f287/tribute-bands-are-the-enemies-of-art-186915.html

You may have a new friend here.

Just on the 'intelligence' discussion though, there is no 'intelligence centre' in the brain, it's more an overall capacity of the brain, how it's connected up and what not that creates 'intelligence'. It's a combination of everything the brain does really.

Ah. I was sort of talking out of my ass, guessing that maybe smarts were like the visual cortex, or the way they say the frontal lobe is responsible for personality. I have no idea what that other thread is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom