Cat Power - Sun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lazarus

Blue Crack Supplier
just don't tell Scumbo.

Too late.

outlaw_josey_wales%2B(262x320).jpg

So yeah, this is great. I'm in the same boat on the middle section (Always on my own/Real Life/Human Being) not quite clicking yet. It's not as immediate/catchy/crazy as the stuff at the beginning and end; actually they may be the most "traditional" sounding Cat Power songs on the album. I have started to come around to Always On My Own; it works nicely as an interlude after the all out poppiness of the first four songs.

As I said in the Random Thread, I am blown away by it. I listened to it for the first time last night and then listened to it three more times in a row. I rarely do that except with a new Radiohead or U2 record, so something has to knock my socks off for that to happen.

I haven't really delved into it lyrically yet but am just really loving the whole groove and sound of it.

I couldn't figure out who that male voice was, so now I know.

Break up records are the best.

I need this in my hands on Sept. 4.

I liked her last two albums quite a bit (You Are Free and The Greatest) when they came out, but admittedly haven't had any desire to listen to either in years. Was planning on passing on this despite liking the lead single, but you jerks have talked me into checking the stream out.

Streamed it once yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it as it was playing. Lot of variety. And moments that came pretty close to being beats. Will defs buy.

It doesn't really feel like a break up album, to me at least. I guess I can hear it in the lyrics a bit, tho I'd say they're more of the "I'm OK and moving on" variety rather than "I'm sad and bummed." That's probably also because of the upbeat production.

It doesn't really feel like a break up album, to me at least. I guess I can hear it in the lyrics a bit, tho I'd say they're more of the "I'm OK and moving on" variety rather than "I'm sad and bummed." That's probably also because of the upbeat production.

Right, I just meant that it's the post-breakup creative output.

Streamed it once yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it as it was playing. Lot of variety. And moments that came pretty close to being beats. Will defs buy.

I feel the same. Very promising album. And that Iggy Pop bit is fabulous.

I'm pretty sure Chan Marshall is singing "fuck meeeeeee" in the (heavily autotuned) outro to 3,6,9. What. The. Hell.

I'm a little lukewarm on Manhattan, and Aways On my Own and Real Life are growing on me. The rest is really strong, imo.

Eleven minutes of Nothin But Time is as good as twelve minutes of One Sunday Morning (Wilco). Love the piano groove.

Manhattan is actually one of my favorite tunes. I love the clicking beat and the layered harmonies sound great.

The middle section of the album is growing on me too. This one of the few new albums this year that really grabbed me from the first listen.

I have to admit, I am only a casual fan. I have heard her on my local public station KCRW. I usually like her stuff. This new cd is getting a lot of good spin. I am not a big fan of synth, looping and all that techno stuff. I was impressed with this interview.

Cat Power: 'I'm Not Ashamed To Hear My Voice' : NPR

She seems like a real nice, sincere sweet person.

I should listen to the cd, not on crappy laptop speakers.

Yep, I absolutely love this. Sat down with it tonight and had the lyrics in front of me. Definitely gonna be an end-of-year favourite for me. I love the variety; you've got upbeat indie pop numbers like Ruin (except they're not stereotypical indie pop, they've got a slightly darker edge to them), slow-burn epics like Nothin' But Time (love Iggy Pop's cameo), lovely contemplative piano tracks like Manhattan, great guitar lines (Cherokee, which I really get an early 80s U2 vibe from until she starts singing), stomping guitar tracks in Silent Machine (which gets even better when it goes a bit electro) and Peace and Love, that slower/more relaxed middle section of Always on My Own-Real Life-Human Being which I think will reveal more upon further listens, even the auto tune on 3,6,9 is really well used.

Yet another example of why I love this place... would never have even heard of this otherwise, and wouldn't have even tried it without some of the hype here, so thank you all. So glad I gave it a shot.

The crescendo piano in Nothin' But Time reminds me of another song that I can't quite name at the moment... unless I'm just thinking of crescendo piano songs in general. The lyrics remind me of Bowie's Cygnet Committee, at least the last part.

And it seems to me some of the lyrics are concerned with the plight of the third world... take Ruin:

Bitching, complaining, and some people ain't got shit to eat
Bitching, moaning, so many people you know what they ain't got
What are we doing
We're sitting on a ruin

And Human Being

You got a right to scream when they don't want you to speak
You got a right to be what you want and where you want to be
You got a right to believe to breathe
You got a right you're a human being
See the people on TV get shot in their own very street
People just like you people just like me

I'm just talking out of my arse now, but yes, this is a great album :wave:

Americans, this is $7.99 at Best Buy this week (if your Best Buy still has a music section).

If the lyrics come with the physical release (as Cobbler implied), this might be worth picking up. Especially as it's an AOTY contender for me.

So glad I checked in here before I left the office. I forgot it's in the stores today. I don't think my Best Buy still has a music section but maybe Hastings will have it. I'll go on a mission on the way home from work.

I got sidetracked today with getting rear-ended during my lunch hour. Car is fine, not sure about my neck yet. :angry:

I don't like it when bad drivers cause me to forget about important new music releases.

I got sidetracked today with getting rear-ended during my lunch hour. Car is fine, not sure about my neck yet. :angry:

That sucks. I went to a Best Buy close to work on my way home. Despite their online availability tool saying they had it earlier today, they didn't have a single copy.

Back
Top Bottom