Built To Spill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a single thread made for these guys, especially since some of their contemporaries (Modest Mouse, Flaming Lips) are very popular here.

This band has really grown on me a lot. I remember hearing Carry The Zero about a year ago and being absolutely floored by it, but I'm really starting to see the appeal in their entire albums now. Doug Martsch loves Neil Young, and you can totally hear it come through in the music, so that's a bonus for me. I've only heard Keep It Like A Secret (which is on almost constant rotation these days) and Perfect From Now On, but I'm very interested to hear more, and they're supposedly recording a new album.

I love their song Conventional Wisdom. Very much. Good call on Neil Young, I even think the singer kinda sounds like Neil.

Hadn't really heard much from them until a friend dragged me along to one of their concerts, summer of 2007...Now I really like Keep It Like A Secret and You In Reverse albums...still a couple albums I need to check out

Oh yeah another thing they were all pissed off at the show I went to, maybe cause it was in utah? (I think u2popmofo was there so he can attest to this) so I'd like to see them again when they are in a better playing mood, might make for a better concert...

See the guy standing in front of Martsch, doing air guitar and headbanging? That's the kind of enthusiasm I want to see in this thread.

I CANNOT F*%KING BELIEVE THERE WASN'T A BTS THREAD :angry:

For some reason I thought I remembered speaking about them quite a bit here, but I think it was probably on Xeidon and/or another forum. Keep it Like a Secret is easily in my top 10 all time favorite albums, possibly in the top 5. I love each and every song on it. It's the type of record I think anyone who likes rock music of any sort should be required to own. Seriously.

I don't know what I'd say my second favorite record of theirs is. Possibly You In Reverse, possibly There's Nothing Wrong With Love. For some reason I still haven't gotten into Ancient Melodies or Perfect From Now On all that much yet, and I know Perfect is a big fan favorite. Miso cwazy.

Oh yeah another thing they were all pissed off at the show I went to, maybe cause it was in utah? (I think u2popmofo was there so he can attest to this) so I'd like to see them again when they are in a better playing mood, might make for a better concert...

They're from Idaho, so I don't know how they could be mad to be playing in here. :wink: They were mad because they had car problems, got there very late, didn't have time to sound check, as they were doing it in front of the entire crowd. The first few songs sounded terrible, and that was pissing them off. I thought they got it all sorted out after that though, at least that's how I'm remembering it now. It was a pretty killer show, despite the problems.

bts.png

There Is No Enemy:

01 Aisle 13
02 Hindsight
03 Nowhere Lullaby
04 Good Ol' Boredom
05 Life's a Dream
06 Oh Yeah
07 Pat
08 Done
09 Planting Seeds
10 Things Fall Apart
11 Tomorrow

October 6th.

I haven't heard anything from it yet, but I can still say that it will in all likelihood end up on my year end list. BTS 4 EVAR

By the way:

08-20 Troutdale, OR - Edge Field
08-22 Santa Barbara, CA - Velvet Jones
08-23 Los Angeles, CA - Sunset Junction ^
08-24 San Diego, CA - The Casbah
08-25 San Diego, CA - Galaxy Concert Theatre
08-26 Solana Beach, CA - Belly UP Tavern
08-28 San Francisco, CA - Polo Field at Golden Gate Park
08-29 Arcata, CA - Humboldt State
09-18 Boise, ID - Hyde Park Street Fair
09-19 Murray, UT - Murray Theatre
09-20 Denver, CO - Bluebird Theatre
09-21 Denver, CO - Bluebird Theatre
09-23 Omaha, NE - Slowdown
09-24 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
09-25 Madison, WI - Barrymore Theatre
09-26 Chicago, IL - Vic Theatre
09-27 Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall Ballroom
09-28 Bloomington, IN - Bluebird Nightclub
09-29 St. Louis, MO - The Pageant
10-01 Columbus, OH - Newport Music Hall
10-02 Newport, KY - Southgate House
10-03 Royal Oak, MI - Royal Oak Music Hall
10-04 Cleveland Heights, OH - Grog Shop
10-06 Toronto, Ontario - Lee’s Palace
10-07 Toronto, Ontario - Lee’s Palace
10-08 Ithaca, NY - State Theatre
10-09 Cambridge, MA - Middle East
10-10 Cambridge, MA - Middle East
10-11 Cambridge, MA - Middle East
10-12 New York, NY - Webster Hall
10-13 New York, NY - Webster Hall
10-14 Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg
10-15 Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg
10-16 Philadelphia, PA - The Trocadero
10-17 Washington, D.C. - 9:30 Club
10-18 Carrboro, NC - Cat’s Cradle
10-20 Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club
10-21 Memphis, TN - Minglewood Hall
10-22 Dallas, TX - Granada Theater
10-23 Houston, TX - Warehouse Live
10-24 Austin, TX - Stubb’s Waller Creek Amphitheater
10-25 Oklahoma City, OK - Diamond Ballroom
10-27 Albuquerque, NM - Sunshine Theatre
10-28 Tucson, AZ - Dry River
11-15 Eugene, OR - WOW Hall
11-17 Bellingham, WA - The Nightlight
11-18 Vancouver, British Columbia - Commodore Ballroom
11-19 Seattle, WA - Showbox at the Market
11-20 Seattle, WA - Showbox at the Market
11-21 Spokane, WA - Big Easy

^ with The Flaming Lips

:drool: Wondrous.

The fall is looking pretty strong for music releases, and this one is right near the top for me. :up:

:hyper: This is the one time I've ever begrudged Desolation Row for being 11 minutes long. :lol: Will check it out in about 7. I am a purist and need to finish every album in full, or else it'll lose artistic impact. Remember that, BTS. Give us a brilliant closer, at least.

I've listened to it twice, and I like it quite a bit. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's a great little BtS track. Look forward to hearing what you think.

Yeah, it ain't much, but I suspect it's a perfect way too ease into the album. At least, I hope it is. A whole album of this would be wonderful, albeit with a few extended jams for good measure. Hindsight doesn't need it; it's a nearly perfect single right out of the box. I'm very impressed.

It sorta reminds me of 'Liar' from the last album. When you first hear it, you realize it's good, but don't think much about it. Listen to it a few more times, and you realize it's one of your favorites.

New Built To Spill:up:

I'm looking forward to this album...and I'll have to make sure and catch them at Murray Theatre

Edit: Just noticed thats the same night as the Florida State game...probably won't make it to Built To Spill :(

I'll have to make sure and catch them at Murray Theatre

Edit: Just noticed thats the same night as the Florida State game...probably won't make it to Built To Spill :(

Haha, I was just noticing this earlier as well. The game starts at 5, so hopefully I'll be able to watch some of it and then go to the show. According to Murray Theater's site, the show doesn't start until 7ish, so I'm guessing Built To Spill wont play until at least 8 or later (I'm guessing 8:30 or so).

I'm bumping this in the light of the new album, Untethered Moon, coming out in April, and for the fact that I've been revisiting their discography.

I haven't listened to the Caustic Resin EP before. When Not Being Stupid is Not Enough is an excellent track.

And I still think Perfect From Now On towers far above the rest. Truly an astounding album. I've actually barely finished it the first time I've listened to it; it's an album where one discovers something new with every listen, which is a true sign of a fantastic record. Kicked it in the Sun and Velvet Waltz are masterpieces.

And I still think Perfect From Now On towers far above the rest.

Nah, Keep It Like a Secret is where it's at. God I love that run of Else/You Were Right/Temporarily Blind/Broken Chairs.

That's a good run, but I find some of the poppier songs on the first half to be nauseating. Especially Sidewalk. Martsch's voice was always the weak link for me and for some reason, it grates me the most on Keep It Like a Secret.

But Carry the Zero and Broken Chairs are as good as it gets. There's rarely been a song as perfectly structured as Carry the Zero. Broken Chairs is just insane on the Live album.

Very good. I love the opening and closing songs. Some sick guitar tones in there. The new rhythm section brings a breath of fresh air as well.

Dear u2popmofo,

I purchased this album in 24-bit FLAC last night from HDtracks as promised. I just thought you would like to know.

I like it.

DB

Nice!

I downloaded the auto rip from Amazon this morning, CD should be in my mailbox now.

Back
Top Bottom