Broken Bells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I already had this preordered, so I don't have to listen to you on this one, Mikal.

You may want to include "James Mercer" as the name of The Shins' front man, or mention "Danger Mouse" in some fashion in the first post. You may not.

I haven't heard the album, I've bought the lead single off of iTunes the day it came out. We've had some limited discussion about the album in one of The Shins threads I believe. Maybe somewhere else. I've spoken with 1bl00d about it a decent amount somewhere on here.

I'll be the first (and perhaps last) to say it: UNDERWHELMED. Great concept, but really bland songs. Shins tracks have so more melodic vibrancy to them, and Danger Mouse's production is typically so much more haunting and distinct. Just really lackluster all around.

I'll be the first (and perhaps last) to say it: UNDERWHELMED. Great concept, but really bland songs. Shins tracks have so more melodic vibrancy to them, and Danger Mouse's production is typically so much more haunting and distinct. Just really lackluster all around.

i like the 2nd half of the album a lot better than the 1st. it seems to flow a lot better. i personally wouldn't say i'm underwhelmed. pretty much got what i expected. i'm happy with it.

Yeah, as much as I like them, the Gnarls Barkly albums weren't exactly "stellar" as full lengths, so I guess my expectations aren't super high at the moment. I'm sure I'll enjoy it a great deal, even if I don't love it. I'm still really excited for it, regardless.

i like the 2nd half of the album a lot better than the 1st. it seems to flow a lot better. i personally wouldn't say i'm underwhelmed. pretty much got what i expected. i'm happy with it.

I can agree that the second half is superior to the first. I was satisfied with the last few tracks, but I doubt any of them will stick with me throughout the year. Glad you like it; Mercer's time away from The Shins wasn't entirely in vain. :wink:

You know what the album's biggest problem is (and this will sound hypocritical because I resort to it in my own recordings)? The drum machine. Or, alternatively, the really unimaginative drummer. That's really what I meant by the songs sounding flat; it takes brilliant arrangements to overcome the monotony an obvious drum machine can cause.

Anyway, I don't want to sidetrack this thread with ceaseless bitching. I'm just an admirer of Mercer and Danger Mouse, as I assume most people who check out this album are.

LemonMelon, i guess the copy that has been floating around the web isn't even the final copy of the album. reports of people receiving it today are saying that there are some major differences from the leak to the real thing.

Ha, well that's great news. I have two hours of Joanna Newsom to listen to first, but I'll find my way back to it today. I really wanted this record to kick ass.

I'm excited for this release as I like what I've heard from Danger Mouse, and I love Mercer's vocals.

Sorta weird how most of the "fun tracks" are at the end of the album. Only listened to it once, but these were probably my favorite on first spin:

The Ghost Inside
The Mall & Misery

I actually liked the last 4 songs quite a bit. The High Road is great as well, but I was already quite familiar with that one.

My school newspaper reviewed this album and said it was really boring, but they're also the same newspaper that said Romance Is Boring channeled Bright Eyes, so fuck them.

My boss just picked this up when we took a walk on our lunch break, so I'll get to hear it. Yay, etc.

My school newspaper reviewed this album and said it was really boring, but they're also the same newspaper that said Romance Is Boring channeled Bright Eyes, so fuck them.

It does have a really weird pacing, that's for sure. I'm probably as much of a Shins fan as is possible, and even I was sorta bored during the a couple stretches of songs the first time through. As I mentioned before, it really picks up towards the end. There are a few tracks I already know I'll listen to a ton, and that's good enough for me for now.

It does have a really weird pacing, that's for sure. I'm probably as much of a Shins fan as is possible, and even I was sorta bored during the a couple stretches of songs the first time through. As I mentioned before, it really picks up towards the end. There are a few tracks I already know I'll listen to a ton, and that's good enough for me for now.

yeah, track 6 is just great. it really picks up around there.

I listened to *most* of it today (will finish it soon) and it's so bipolar. If they'd stuck with the sound that's rather prominent on the opener and a few other tracks, I think it would be a fantastic album, but some of the songs are incredibly bland :\

I'm listening to it now. I like it! It's nothing earth-shattering, but I think it's pretty good. So far, the only track that's bored me is "Citizen."

this album is becoming one of my favorites of 2010 so far. it really gets better with each listen.

It absolutely is better on subsequent listens. I still think this pales to the best by The Shins and Gnarls Barkley, but it's good. Trap Doors is my favorite, I think.

It absolutely is better on subsequent listens. I still think this pales to the best by The Shins and Gnarls Barkley, but it's good. Trap Doors is my favorite, I think.

Subsequent listens being listens that aren't the leak that was missing half the album :p

Subsequent listens being listens that aren't the leak that was missing half the album :p

The last two minutes of The Mall And Misery were absolutely essential. Especially the part where it repeated the same chord progression contained within the first two minutes and then faded out.

i heard the high road somewhere. i can't for the life of me figure out where, if it was on one of the music stations on the tv, a commercial, etc...probably the former, though. wherever it was, i wasn't impressed enough to look into it.

okay enough stuff when i think of it as pleasant-sounding shinsey-like and just enjoy the music, slightly annoying when i start paying attention to what's going on in it. haven't heard the whole thing yet, just a couple random songs.

I like the High Road. The melody is strong, and I think Mercer does a good job. That said, that keyboard is annoying as shit.

I finally listened to this. This first time through it faded into the background quite a bit and was over before I realized it. Nothing really grabbed me, but nothing was really bad either. Upon first listen, it was just a little bland. I will explore it more in the coming days, though.

Back
Top Bottom