Britney Spears: 10 Years in Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^Well said, Pearl. I think Britney is a good entertainer with some great pop songs. Madonna is an icon who has written and produced most of her music from the beginning of her career. Britney has always been a manufactured record company puppet who was marketed by the American virgin/slut next door dichotomy that's so prevalent in today's music industry. That is, she was a virgin (so she said early in her career and even for awhile after breaking up with Justin Timberlake) who was marketed as the wholesome, innocent American sweetheart, but through her image was sold as the perfect male fantasy. Madonna, on the other hand, took control of her image and message from the beginning of her career. She wrote and sang the songs she wanted to write and sing, she created the persona she wanted to portray to the world. She refused to back down from what she saw as her artistic and personal freedoms even when her record company and people in general sought to make her do so. She was the first female artist with huge mainstream success to say women should be able to express themselves (no pun intended) just as men have always been able to do; professionally, sexually, politically, socially, etc. There were other female artists that I love and respect that came before her with a similar message, but none of them were able to reach the massive platform she achieved. The short answer for the difference between Madonna and Britney? Britney is a cookie cutter pop star controlled by her handlers and record company. Madonna is a brilliant artist and performer who changed the music industry for women forever.

Ditto.

Britney will never be an icon like Madonna. Britney's core audience still consists of screaming teenyboppers. She doesn't have mass appeal. I don't know if she ever will.

Is it okay with you guys if I like both Britney and Madonna without feeling the need to compare them?

And no, I'm not a screaming teenybopper. I just like a good pop tune. :shrug:

If I won tickets, or someone gave me a ticket, I would. I wouldn't buy one for myself, though.

However, given the choice between Madonna and Britney, I'd go Madonna all the way.

I think Britney is iconic. Is she iconic like Madonna, or for the same reasons as Madonna? Shit, no.

I think it's interesting how fans will get very defensive if they hear a comparison they don't like. Compare Coldplay to U2, and ... well, you see what happens here. Compare Britney to Madonna? Same thing from her fans.

Why does it matter?

^It doesn't really matter to me, personally.

And comparisons will always occur. If you're an artist relatively new to the scene, you're bound to be compared to some legendary icon, whether it be Madonna or U2.

Yeah, that's for sure.

As for Ms. Britney, I'm totally watching that MTV special/documentary thing about her tonight. And I'm buying her new CD this week.

What can I say - I'm a sucker for pop culture and a sucker for some good, cheesy pop music. ;)

Anyone watching her big interview tonight on mtv?

She's looking a LOT better in those performance pics than she did for her last trainwreck performance.

The documentary was really well done. Couldn't help but feel for her... especially in the scene where she attempted to enter the store, but was so crowed - virtually attacked - and all we could heard her say was 'I'm scared, I'm scared...'. I think she's extremely strong, and actually quite a good role model for her younger fans, in terms of the way she spoke and her outlook. She was candid about her problems, and she's determined to make it right. Good for her. I was surpsied when she brought up Kevin (He left HER?), and really felt for her when she talked about wanting to just be at peace with her kids and career. She's also pretty funny, which I didn't know. Good sense of humor. Another great step forward for her. Hopefully the press backs off a bit. I'm sure they'll find something to criticize though.

Just like Kylie, Britney will always be compared to Madonna because they are similar singers singing pure pop music. Kylie did start off being a manufactured act but because she's been in the industry for so long she's got as much creative control as anyone who's isn't manufactured. The only difference is that she doesn't write her own songs like Madonna does. I don't think we'd have either Kylie or Britney if it wasn't for Madonna. Although I wouldn't really consider myself a fan of Britney's music as much as I am of Madonna's I do like some of songs. Everytime is beautiful song and is probably one of my favorite pop records ever.

As for Christina, she has a beautiful voice but I do hate this oversinging that she does .

Britney's parents, brother and two sons turned out to watch her perform at GMA today. In addition to two songs, she also announced "The Circus: Starring Britney Spears!", her world tour which kicks off in March. Brit celebrated her 27th Birthday on the show, with a huge cake, and taped messages from Reece Witherspoon, Hugh Jackman, Teri Hatcher, Taylor Swift, and other celebs.

The show featured a ring of fire, jugglers, acrobats, fire-shooters, horn-players, and Brit's usual band of back-up dancers.

I was totally sucked into the show on Sunday night, but came away feeling like there's nothing we didn't already know. How revealing was it? How in-depth could it really be when she's (or her camp is) the one putting it out there and controlling the information we get?

I guess I'm not surprised the whole thing wasn't anything more than just a huge PR move, but I did enjoy watching it. And the more I hear the new album, the more I like it.

I hope she's going to be okay and stays healthy. She certainly looks good.

I think it's interesting how fans will get very defensive if they hear a comparison they don't like. Compare Coldplay to U2, and ... well, you see what happens here. Compare Britney to Madonna? Same thing from her fans.

Why does it matter?

I think people get defensive because when they see someone they consider inferior being compared to an artist they love, it seems to diminish the artist they love. I'm not trying to defend that attitude, because when you really examine it, it's kind of silly. But I have to admit, my knee-jerk reaction when someone compares Britney to Madonna is "Please - I grew up on Madonna. And Britney is no Madonna."

That being said, I'm happy that Britney seems to be in a healther mental place these days. Even though I personally think the world needs another Britney Spears album the way it needs more toxic waste, if making a new album helped her focus and get her life back together in some way, more power to her.

I was totally sucked into the show on Sunday night, but came away feeling like there's nothing we didn't already know. How revealing was it? How in-depth could it really be when she's (or her camp is) the one putting it out there and controlling the information we get?

I guess I'm not surprised the whole thing wasn't anything more than just a huge PR move, but I did enjoy watching it. And the more I hear the new album, the more I like it.

I hope she's going to be okay and stays healthy. She certainly looks good.

I totally agree. I liked it as well.

Haven't heard the album yet, but I guess I'll have to, as my friend bought us tickets to go see her in concert in April. :lol: She was so embarrassed to call and ask me if I wanted to go. The cheapest tickets were a decent price, so I thought what the hell, why not. It has potential to be horrible, or an excellent show. We'll see! :)

After seeing those pics of Britney on GMA, I wonder if her kids were thinking "look, there's Mommy dressed like a complete skank... again!". :doh:

Britney's so dumb, she probably can't even spell the word "icon".

I'm looking forward to this tour of hers because then the world can put to rest this notion of Britney having talent.

When has she ever performed a song live without lipsynching?

I think the point was she shouldn't go on a talent show and not sing live. I really think it'll hurt her album in the UK, the X Factor makes or breaks the bands who play on it. Leona Lewis is gonna have a massive number 1 single with a Snow Patrol cover based on pretty much one X-Factor performance.

Also her and Take That releasing albums with the same name on the same day, won't help her much either :lol:

I saw her on Good Morning America, she looks good but something just isn't there anymore and she's off- her dancing just isn't what it used to be. Maybe her heart just isn't in it as much as it used to be, I don't know.

She lip synchs her concerts too, so that's nothing new. Maybe she has never actually performed anything live, other than Star Search :wink:

I do hope she will continue to do well in her personal life, so far she seems to be even though she's unhappy with such a structured life.

Whether or not she was appearing on a talent show or not, I'd be very surprised if anyone was expecting Britney Spears to come out and perform with live vocals.

She does ballads live, never EVER has she done dance songs live. And as for X Factor... Simon glowed about her afterwards, gave the performance a 9/10, and her CD is on track to be her highest selling in the U.K. Looks like no harm done.

Back
Top Bottom