Brandon Flowers solo album, "Flamingo"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There will be 10 songs on "Flamingo" and 7 song titles that have been mentioned (in online articles) thus far are :

Crossfire
On the floor (b-side of Crossfire)
Welcome to fabulous Las Vegas
Hard enough (supposedly a duet with Jenny Lewis)
Jilted Lovers and Broken Hearts
Playing with Fire
Only the Young

Great article :up:

More detail in that one than the one I saw here: Brandon Flowers – “Crossfire” - Stereogum

Thanks for posting ^

Here's another article with more information about 3 of the songs : Crossfire, Only the young and Jilted lovers.
It's in Spanish (which I don't speak nor read), but was pretty understandable when I put it through google translate.

TRES MARAVILLOSOS TEMAS DE BRANDON FLOWERS

It has been said that this instrumental

might be "Only the young"

+

And he will be touring!!

Like what I hear so far. I'm a big Killers fan so the fact that it has that "Killers vibe" is probably why. That said, I agree Crossfire does end kind of abruptly. I'm definitely interested to hear what the rest of his album sounds like.

Hopefully this is more of a side project than a sign of what's to come though. I love The Killers' music and they've been great the 4 times I've seen them live. Glad to hear he'll be touring his solo album though, Brandon finally seemed to be coming into his own on stage last tour.

For what it's worth, if this can be taken for gospel, the album will be coming out in September:

Brandon Flowers .com.br Universal reports Flamingo´s release date

Yes, september 2010 is confirmed.

bfalbumdrops.jpg

Wow. I Just had my first listen of this just then. and just wow. This is better (and I know this is nothing to do with the killers...) but so much better than anything on Day & Age (which I've never liked as an album) Great stuff :up:

i dont know about the song - Brandon sounds great - but the song is kind of just eh - nothing new nothing inovative nothing we havent heard before

I like it! I also think it's better than Day & Age ... and also more than Sam's Town, which save for one or two songs, I just find irritating.

... and also more than Sam's Town, which save for one or two songs, I just find irritating.

After I burn 'Read My Mind' into my iTunes, I am seriously considering throwing my Sam's Town cd into the trash . . . perhaps, setting it on fire first.

:barf:

You don't know how sad it makes me that a band who made an album as awesome as Hot Fuss, has made Sam's Town and Day & Age as their two, successive follow-ups.

I remember thinking day & Age was pretty good when I first heard it ... and I don't think I ever listened to it again.

Both albums suffer from the "hey, this is good! ... oh, no, I guess it's really, really not" syndrome.

I think Day and Age, while not as good as Hot Fuss, is an amazing album, but I'm probably blinded by fandom here. Nevertheless, I feel really bad for the album because no matter what The Killers did after Sam's Town, it was never going to be that well received because Sam's Town just fucked them up that badly.

The problem was that they changed their sound and style so completely from the first to the second album. My best friend put it best: "They were too young as a band to completely change their whole sound."

Hot Fuss was definitely influenced heavily by New Wave and the New Romantics. In their beginnings, I remember Brandon stated his love for bands such as The Cure, The Smiths, New Order, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, U2, etc.

Then, after Hot Fuss, Brandon went and fell in love with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band and The Killers went to shit. Now I LOVE BRUUUUUUUUUCE. But Brandon is no Bruce, and The Killers are no E Street Band, nor should they ever have tried to be.

At least U2 waited 9 years and 5 albums before they blatantly mined and mimicked an (old rock 'n roll) sound that wasn't [mostly] their own.

/rant

Agreed, it was too much too fast. In spite of that, I still love Sam's Town. But...it was a terrible decision.

I guess I'm the only one here who has Day & Age as my favorite of theirs then. :wink:
Also, I do like Sam's Town. I do not love it like the other two but I find it good still.

And I must add that after I saw them live all my opinions about their albums were improved, except for Day & Age which I already had as "amazing". :D

Sam's Town is a reach, yeah. I mean, once I saw the mustache, I knew they were fucked, but the worst part is that it somehow suits the music. The singles from that album are very good, but the concept is sloppy and the production is ludicrous, betraying any progress they made as songwriters. It's a mess, one I'll never defend, but I put it in for a laugh on occasion. Day & Age is comparatively conservative, which is amazing, considering the album goes in every direction imaginable. It's pleasant though, Human aside. And Hot Fuss, well, duh. Amazing first half, good second half: one of my favorite debuts of the decade. I don't think they need to return to that sound to make a decent album, but a little swagger would be nice.

Perhaps Brandon's solo venture will remind him of how potent The Killers are as a group and they'll return with the flashy synth-pop that dazzled us all early on. Crossfire doesn't fit that description, but at least it's a good track.

Sams Town

Hot Fuss

Day And Age

IMO. I can listen to Sam's Town from cover to cover on repeat. Where as once I get past track 5 on Hot Fuss, I'm already bored. I can't explain it, I've just NEVER liked the second half of Hot Fuss....since I first listened to it (which was around its original release date) ..

ha i love sams town and day and age, but only a few songs on hot fuss

crossfire is great too, im looking forward to this album. im also a big fan of the desert/vegas themes, which is also probably why i love sam's town so much.

Day & Age is a splendid album, with Losing Touch and This Is Your Life unheralded gems, and quite brilliant live... especially the latter.

Goodnight, Travel Well is just horrible though, horrid way to end the album...

Anyway, Crossfire is something I do like...

Back
Top Bottom