Bon Iver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not a band, it's a dude. I don't care what anybody says. Bon Iver is a guy. I'll fight anyone who calls Bon Iver a band.

It's a name for a solo project. There's nobody permanently in Bon Iver except for Justin Vernon.

https://youtu.be/QUtg4kFscUw

New Bon Iver album has to be imminent. It will probably come out shortly after their Eau Claire gig, which they've already announced will consist of new music. :hyper:
Waiting for this one, the new LCD, the new The Killers, and new Snow Patrol is just about killing me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fuck_yeah.gif

Album is rumored to be released after the show tonight. I'm so excited and weirdly nervous. I suppose right now I'm at my peak of listening to Bon Iver, so this album is coming out at the perfect time.
Last night I listened to Holocene about 17 times in a row towards the end of my 19 hour shift at around 3AM (damn chile festival and unreliable coworkers/employees). I've always loved the song, but last night it really connected with me at an almost transcendent level.
"And at once I knew I was not magnificent" is probably my favorite lyric ever.

Colour me entirely unsurprised that he's gone the troll route with the track titles. Far more reminiscent of Aphex Twin than anyone else though, Laz.

JV1.jpg

Both of the singles are extended versions according to their titles. My first impression is that neither of them are very good.

We shall see...

Oh wow, a singer/songwriter dicked around in FL Studio and decided they're Richard D James. That's pretty crazy.

Pretentious window dressing aside, these two tracks aren't very good. He's trying too hard to make fairly simplistic songs sound complicated. I'm concerned about the direction of this album, but I'm still looking forward to hearing the finished product.

Last edited:
This blog of the songs has me with a real Marge Simpson hrmmmm thought on it all.

Bon Iver Debut New Album in Concert: Live Blog | Pitchfork

It feels somewhat like an elaborate troll... Vernon does whatever the hell he wants and I think he enjoys the tongue-in-cheek sticking it to people. Over Soon has some really nice elements to it but throws in an annoying James Blake pitch-shifted vocal that immediately puts me offside and the repeating "ohh" is very annoying, just like what ruins Heavenly Father. Deathbreast is worse, there are electronic artists out there doing the crunchy, glitchy electro well and this is not it. Along with the blog it all seems to suggest we're going to get quite a dissonant, much more electronic, industrial album.

The first song is good, second one is okay.
This was not the direction I was hoping that he would head into, but I'll wait for final judgement until 09/30.

Yeah this song is amazing.
22 Over Soon is really good too, but I still haven't been able to get into Deathbreast.

The drone in the Over Soon annoys the shit out of me, and Deathbreast is shit but 33 God makes up for it all.

My rankings for the songs:
Over Soon - 8.5/10
Deathbreast - 7.5/10
33 God - 10/10

I've listened to the whole album already through some Eau Claire bootlegs. I'm not going to rank those yet cause I haven't heard the studio versions, obviously. But 8(circle) is going to be one of his best tracks ever.

Last edited:
7.5 is a weirdly high ranking for a song you haven't been able to get into.

I've liked it more lately after some more listens. Last week I probably would have given it a 5 or 6. I consider 7/7.5 to be decent. 8/8.5 to be good/really good. 9/9.5 great. 10 amazing. It's probably somewhere in 7/7.5 range for me. Decent song. I don't feel a super strong opinion about it right now. Definitely has less listens than both of the other songs.
That ranking may change once the album comes out, too. It's only been a week, so my rankings are still pretty fluid on some songs. However, I feel pretty strongly about 33 God.

Back
Top Bottom