Bon Iver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something about it reminds me of another one of my favorite album covers:

3449049296_d55a7ef23b.jpg

Probably the trees and random mystery character. Good stuff.

EDIT: I guess how the band and album name / font are presented are pretty similar between the two as well.

Hmm, interesting. I've seen that album cover before but never listened to it.

I like Midlake. And that Volcano Choir cover has me intrigued as well.

Glad I ventured into this thread, even though I've never heard any Bon Iver either.

You should listen to For Emma, Forever Ago. I listened to it for essentially a month straight last winter when I heard it for the first time. It's such a heartbreakingly beautiful album that I can't really put how amazing it is to me quite into a coherent description. Listen to it though, you won't be disappointed, I don't think.

It was absolutely pouring during Bon Iver yesterday, which was awesome in my book. And I even let my iPhone get soaked to transcribe a setlist:

Creature Fear / Team
Lump Sum
Skinny Love
Brackett, WI
Flume
Blood Bank
Re: Stacks
For Emma
Wolves

Great show.

Pitchfork: New Bon Iver Album Imminent

Folksy Bon Iver mastermind Justin Vernon has certainly kept busy as of late, but it's been more than a minute since we've heard any word on the follow-up to Bon Iver's 2009 EP Blood Bank. Now, a Rolling Stone article sheds a bit of light on Bon Iver's forthcoming LP. The as-yet-untitled ten-song record is set for release some time in June.

According to Rolling Stone, experimental saxophonist Colin Stetson and pedal-steel guitarist Greg Leisz (Wilco, Joni Mitchell) were tapped to contribute to the record. Tracks include "Perth", which Vernon refers to as "a Civil War-sounding heavy metal song" and Rolling Stone reports that it features "a marching drum beat, a children's choir and wailing guitars," "Minnesota Wisconsin", and the closer "Beth/Rest", which Vernon claims is "definitely the part where you pick up your joint and re-light it." Okay!

boniver452_1.jpg

Bon Iver:

01 Perth
02 Minnesota, WI
03 Holocene
04 Towers
05 Michicant
06 Hinnom, TX
07 Wash.
08 Calgary
09 Lisbon, OH
10 Beth/Rest

That's the tracklist, not tour dates. :wink:

Shouldn't my listening to leaks be pretty much the usual by now? I mean, if you want to keep trying to get me with Utahian Justice, that's cool. I'm just saying, my habits are not going to change in the near future. :wink:

Oh yeah, and the album's pretty damn solid so far. It's no For Emma, Forever Ago, but it can't be expected to be, as Vernon's just in a different place than he was back then.

One day you'll feel guilt for the follies of your youth.

Until then, I will threaten you with firearms.

funny-gun-people-07.jpg

Bon Iver Bon Iver Bon Iver Bon Iver Bon Iver Bon Iver Bon Iver Bon Iver is...

Pretty, but I'm not hearing the experimentation I heard so much about. Critics and leak-lovers, don't label something "art pop" when it's this conservative. It's neither poppy, nor terribly experimental. Nice album, but you're grossly misrepresenting a folk record that boasts a sound effect here and there.

Also, yeah, the fact that I just called the album "nice" isn't exactly a compliment. The production is incredible, but the songwriting seems to be well short of the first. Perhaps there are hidden layers to it that I've yet to discover, and for that reason, I'll probably have this on rotation until I get it. Bon Iver is worth it: For Emma is one of the best records of all time. This, however, is limited to simply being pleasant for the moment. Minnesota and Calgary stood out, and I didn't dislike any others, so there's that. And one more thing: could anyone else understand one syllable of this album's lyrics, at any point? I struggled to, whereas they were pretty clear on For Emma. Could just be the rip, but I doubt it.

New album is streaming on NPR's site, which means I get to wrestle with whether or not to listen now or wait another week and a half. Shit.

A Laz Pan callback is the perfect way to kick start this morning. Thanks, T Bag.

I only listened to it twice, so I don't have much of an opinion. You're going to get it anyway, so may as well preorder. I'm gonna snag it Tuesday for sure.

Back
Top Bottom