Bob Mould- Silver Age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Von Schloopen

Refugee
:drool:
is pretty much part II of this,

Sugar_-_Copper_Blue.jpg

which is pretty much one of the best rock albums of the 90s.

That means this,

bob-260x260.jpg

is guitartastic. With songs.

Like he did on this,

Sugar_-_Copper_Blue.jpg

:drool:

Agreed.

A glorious release. they make great companions.

just rockblocked these 2 + beaster last night. wow.

Nowhere near Copper Blue, and the first couple songs were underwhelming. But The Descent is classic Bob, and the rest is very enjoyable. Couldn't ask for too much more this far into his career.

The band just isn't as tight a unit as Sugar was.

Couldn't ask for too much more this far into his career.

a ton of my favorite records are from artists who'd be considered "long in the tooth." I'm guessing this'll be one of 'em. Certainlty on it's way. I've never subscribed to the idea that older=decline.

If you're Nick Cave, you only get better with time.

Yeah, I like a lot of albums from older artists. I think Bowie's Heathen is one of his best, and feel the same way about Dylan's Love & Theft.

And this still isn't a patch on Copper Blue, which IMO is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. :shrug:

Yeah, I like a lot of albums from older artists. I think Bowie's Heathen is one of his best, and feel the same way about Dylan's Love & Theft.

And this still isn't a patch on Copper Blue, which IMO is one of the greatest albums ever recorded. :shrug:

Cool. It kinda sounded like you had less expectations for older artists cause they were old.

"Slow Burn" just kills me. Pete Townsend rips on it.

2 geezers. 1 ace of a tune.

No, I have less expectations for Mould because he hadn't put anything memorable since The Last Dog And Pony Show, and none of his post-Sugar material came close to touching what he did with that band (even FU:EL).

And, you know, he's not Dylan. Or Bowie.

Just got back from the show at the Metro here in Chicago...

totally fucking awesome. bob mould is class. every song is so good.

played "copper blue" straight through, followed by a mixture of tunes from the new album (star machine, the descent, keep believing, etc..) and old husker du songs (sounded better than ever, especially with THIS band - they're fantastic). totally awesome.

Just got back from the show at the Metro here in Chicago...

totally fucking awesome. bob mould is class. every song is so good.

played "copper blue" straight through, followed by a mixture of tunes from the new album (star machine, the descent, keep believing, etc..) and old husker du songs (sounded better than ever, especially with THIS band - they're fantastic). totally awesome.

were they tight? I've been told this band isn't tight.

were they tight?! hell yeah they were tight.

Wurster is one of the best rock drummers around - listen to some superchunk and you'll hear what he's all about. And Jason Narducy not only nailed all the bass parts, but he added really effective backing vocals - the chorus of "The Act We Act" sounded like Fleetwood Mac on Lasers and gasoline. they were locked in, dead on for all the starts and stops. awesome.

And Bob Mould is just a manic, crazy performer. He's super tall and awkward, and prowls around the stage pounding his guitar. He goes off the rails a little bit, and it's fantastic. sings his vocals with new melodies or whatever he wants, makes some string farts, makes some strings wail, then lands down hard on the 1 beat with a mean power chord, perfectly in sync with the rest of the band. yeah, they're plenty tight.

seriously, shclooper, it was awesome. you woulda loved it.

Are you mocking me?

Because it sure looks like it.

I saw Sugar several times on the Beaster and FU:EL tour and they were ferocious, a force to be reckoned with. So forgive me for not thinking Bob's current band doesn't fully measure up.

If you didn't have the opportunity to see them back then, there's an official live show that comes as part of the 2-disc edition of Besides which attests to their prowess.

The liner notes from Besides included this little gem of a description from Chicago music critic Greg Kot:

First thing you notice about SUGAR in concert is the look and I don't mean their fashion sense. It's a look that says "Your wake call has arrived." SUGAR do not take requests. SUGAR do not banter with their audience. SUGAR are not cute. Bob Mould, Dave Barbe, and Malcolm Travis are a glowering juggernaut, and for the next 90 minutes or so, they will be the best rock band in the world.

Travis is crunched over his hi-hat laying down beats with pitiless precision. Barbe is jumping out of his skin wrestling with his bass, while blowing his veins in his neck singing harmonies over the din. And Mould tries to reconcile the eloquence and clarity of his lyrics with the distorted, blinding chaos of his guitar-playing. Melodies are swallowed up in noise, tunefulness extracted from feedback, beauty torn from violence. The music seems to consume the band as they perform it, each precious note extracted a toll until all that is left is glassy-eyed exhaustion.

Laz -

i finally got my hands on the deluxe reissue and have been giving that live disc a few spins. WOW. highlight for me has gotta be that scorching performance of "Tilted". I can't believe they could pull that off!

unfortunately, i didn't get to see Sugar back in the day, so my only points of reference are random youtube tracks and this live release and what I witnessed on friday night. and what i witnessed was totally badass. i'm so glad i went.

my lady and i were debating before the show - i made some comments about how the major shortcoming of our summer festival season (PFork and Lolla) was a distinct lack of tight, tastefully arranged, simple rock bands. the festivals were spilling over with laptops and synthesized music. not that i have anything against that, just that with the rise in the availability of new technologies to create music the art of the 3 or 4 piece band might be getting lost in the shuffle. and when it's done well, it sticks out like a glorious sore thumb. (as an example, Superchunk - of whom i'm not really a big fan - performed at Pitchfork a year ago, delivered hooks and rhythmic explosions in spades, and were a highlight of the festival, even for a guy who doesn't know any songs by name). regardless, she didn't necessarily agree with my overall point.

then we watched Bob and co. rip through their set and she said: "I see what you mean".

Point is, they put on a fantastic show. Its power trio to the max - they make a ton of noise for just 3 guys, were always on the same page, and create so many melodic lines and counterlines above the roar of their 3 core instruments. If you get a chance to see them (i went on a lark), i'd recommend it - i have a feeling you'd be happy with the decision. for what it's worth, they absolutely TORE through new track "Keep Believing". While that tune is no "Tilted", it's the closest thing Bob currently has, and it's pretty special in it's own right. be good.

Sounds good. And I really regret not seeing Superchunk over the last couple years, because I thought Majesty Shredding was some real standout power pop.

Back
Top Bottom