Bob Dylan - Tempest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[FONT=&quot]I have been working through Dylan's albums over the past three months or so and think I'm finally able to offer some thoughts, for anyone who might care.

I was surprised at the strength of the debut. Dylan gives these blues standards faithful treatments, but also infuses them with a good deal of personality. I appreciate the warts-and-all treatment on many of these tracks, as it stays true to the blues tradition. This will likely come off as a wildly unpopular opinion, but as a pure listening experience I would take the debut over Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, which despite its obvious and justified importance, hasn't aged terribly well. The lyrics are astoundingly well-developed, but the instrumentation starts to run together by about the half-way point, which is a similar issue that I have with Times They Are A-Changin' and Another Side.

Bringing It All Back Home is where things really start to come together for me, the point where the visionary lyrics are supported by exciting, varied song structures. Subterranean Homesick Blues would easily make my top three Dylan songs; the rapid-fire delivery suits Dylan's voice perfectly. The track also seems a kind of mission statement for the album as a whole, putting tracks like It's Alright Ma in a kind of cynical perspective. Then Highway 61 and Blonde on Blonde: what can be said about these that hasn't already been said? Put simply, they live up to the lofty hype. What most surprised me about these two is that my favorite tracks were not the ones strewn across his many best-of compilations: Ballad of a Thin Man and Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat especially stand out on a pair of albums laden with highlights. Thin Man in particular is probably the most brilliantly caustic lyric I've ever heard. Fascinating how disillusioned Dylan already seemed with the culture for which he had been appointed the icon.

John Wesley Harding might crack my top three Dylan albums, if only because it is so damn cohesive. I also like the mysticism that underlies a lot of these tracks, especially on something like I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine. Nashville Skyline and Self-Portrait suffer a bit from lacking that spiritual quality, in spite of keeping the general country-folk sound of Harding. The next three are a grab-bag. Where they are great, they are really great, as on The Man in Me and Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door. None of them, though, have the coherence of John Wesley Harding or the fucking sublime Blood on the Tracks.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Blood[/FONT][FONT=&quot] stands quite firmly as my favorite Dylan album. Everything for which he is celebrated is there in one astounding package: the cynical yet reflective lyrics, the timeless melodies, the raw wisdom. This is probably my favorite vocal performance from Dylan as well: his voice is rich yet still a bit off-kilter. Desire reaches the same individual heights as Blood, but doesn’t share the sustained brilliance. One More Cup of Coffee is my favorite Dylan song: the violin and haunting backing vocals complement the ambiguously lyrics superbly. Oh Sister is another standout from this album; Joey is most certainly not.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now things get weird. Everything from Street Legal through Under the Red Sky has flashes of the classic Dylan wit and melody but also patches of almost incomprehensible laziness. Street Legal is a perfect example: New Pony rocks with the best Dylan songs, but it sits alongside dreck like Baby Stop Crying. Even the much-celebrated Oh Mercy strikes me as terribly uneven (though I love Man in the Long Black Coat). I suppose a “comeback” wasn’t a very tall order after something like Down in the Groove, but the worst was yet to come: Under the Red Sky is the only Dylan album I find totally irredeemable. Wiggle Wiggle: case closed.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Two solid but ultimately unremarkable covers albums somehow gave way to Time out of Mind, probably the best argument ever made that veteran musicians can remain creatively vital. It and Love and Theft are both superb ruminations on experience, regret, and ultimately mortality. Not Dark Yet is a case in point. I wouldn’t group Modern Times among those two in terms of quality the way many reviewers have, though it certainly is a worthy addition to his canon. Closer to them thematically and in mood is Tempest, which in my opinion is far superior to Together Through Life. Pay in Blood stands among his best tracks of the 21st century.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I need to dig back through many of these albums more thoroughly, but after a few listens to each, it’s quite easy to see why this guy is a titan of modern music.[/FONT]

Guess I'm alone here in thinking Freewheelin' is one of the best albums of all time. It's so charming, well-written and the melodies are just fantastic. It's no secret that I'm an avid lover of folk, so it's not really surprising that I love that album as much as I do. It's one of the most important albums in the folk canon.

Another unpopular opinion: John Wesley Harding is really boring. I've tried multiple times and I find the instrumentation uninspired, the production flat and the songwriting well below the level of the preceding few records. By a lesser artist, it would be a solid record with some awesome standouts. But Bob Dylan can do and has done much better. Another Side of Bob Dylan is another one from the classic period that I've never cared much for. Otherwise, 1963-1967 is basically perfect.

I just bought New Morning on vinyl for a buck. Never have heard it.

Last edited:
:lol: I had to write it in Word because the reply page was dragging really bad. Then I wasn't able to change the font.

[FONT=&quot]Now things get weird. Everything from Street Legal through Under the Red Sky has flashes of the classic Dylan wit and melody but also patches of almost incomprehensible laziness. Street Legal is a perfect example: New Pony rocks with the best Dylan songs, but it sits alongside dreck like Baby Stop Crying. Even the much-celebrated Oh Mercy strikes me as terribly uneven (though I love Man in the Long Black Coat). I suppose a “comeback” wasn’t a very tall order after something like Down in the Groove, but the worst was yet to come: Under the Red Sky is the only Dylan album I find totally irredeemable. Wiggle Wiggle: case closed.[/FONT]

I think it's odd to lump all that stuff together. Oh Mercy has a distinct atmosphere that separates it from everything else in that decade, and the resurgence in his confidence as a singer (eschewing the female backup singers) as well as his songwriting is something to behold.

I actually had never heard Under The Red Sky all the way through up until about a week ago. I've listened to it a few times, and I'll take it over Saved, Knocked Out Loaded, Down In The Groove, and Empire Burlesque. And as far as I'm concerned, To Make You Feel My Love is just as embarrassing as Wiggle Wiggle.

I just bought New Morning on vinyl for a buck. Never have heard it.

Enjoy. I wouldn't objectively call it one of Dylan's better albums, but it's one I come back to more than most of them, particularly because of Dylan's vocals and how much piano is on the album. I suggest checking out Self Portrait and Another Self Portrait in tandem with New Morning because they're all part of a 2-3 year period of work.

I won't comment on the early acoustic Dylan stuff because I get bored pretty quickly with all of it.

I think it's odd to lump all that stuff together. Oh Mercy has a distinct atmosphere that separates it from everything else in that decade, and the resurgence in his confidence as a singer (eschewing the female backup singers) as well as his songwriting is something to behold.

Point taken. For the sake of brevity, I didn't want to talk about all of those albums separately. I will say I was underwhelmed with Oh Mercy given its critical standing. It is good enough but not in the same league as some of the albums that had come before it, or even something like Love and Theft.

Oh Mercy has a distinct atmosphere that separates it from everything else in that decade, and the resurgence in his confidence as a singer (eschewing the female backup singers) as well as his songwriting is something to behold.

And the impetus for all of this was Bono Vox of O'Connell Street.

I was just reading up a bit on The Basement Tapes and was surprised at how much the authenticity, for lack of a better term, of those Woodstock sessions is compromised on the official release. Seems like a great addition to the Bootleg Series would be a complete issue of those sessions, without the Band demos etc.

I was just reading up a bit on The Basement Tapes and was surprised at how much the authenticity, for lack of a better term, of those Woodstock sessions is compromised on the official release. Seems like a great addition to the Bootleg Series would be a complete issue of those sessions, without the Band demos etc.

Looks like they were thinking the same thing.

Yeah, it's certainly overdue. I'm with you, though, in that I don't know if I want to spring for the six-disc set.

And fuck, $100 for the three LP set? Looks like old Bob is taking a page from Neil Young and charging double for vinyl.

Just wait a while and you'll find somewhere to cop it for much less. I swear I saw Witmark for sale online somewhere in the $40 range. I'm dying to get this new one, but $100 is way too steep.

Bumping this for Old Bober's 75th. Let's make some lists.

Top 5 Zimmy albums:

1. Highway 61 Revisited
2. Oh Mercy
3. Blood On The Tracks
4. New Morning
5. Time Out Of Mind

Top 20 Songs (because there's too damned many for just 10):

1. Jokerman (Infidels, 1983)
2. Visions of Johanna (Blonde on Blonde, 1966)
3. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues (Highway 61 Revisited, 1965)
4. Like A Rolling Stone (Highway 61 Revisited, 1965)
5. I Shall Be Released (Basement Tapes sessions w/ The Band, 1967)
6. Most Of The Time (Oh Mercy, 1989)
7. Positively 4th Street (single, 1965)
8. Don't Think Twice, It's Alright (The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, 1963)
9. If Dogs Run Free (New Morning, 1970)
10. Queen Jane Approximately (Highway 61 Revisited, 1965)
11. You're A Big Girl Now (Blood on the Tracks, 1974)
12. Political World (Oh Mercy, 1989)
13. The Day of the Locusts (New Morning, 1970)
14. Simple Twist Of Fate (Blood on the Tracks, 1974)
15. Romance In Durango (Desire, 1976)
16. Hurricane (Desire, 1976)
17. Ring Them Bells (Oh Mercy, 1989)
18. Señor (Tales of Yankee Power) (Street Legal, 1978)
19. Dignity (Oh Mercy sessions, 1989)
20. High Water (For Charley Patton) (Love and Theft, 2001)

Wow, that is really high for Oh Mercy. Think that needs some explanation.

For me:

1. Blood on the Tracks
2. Highway 61 Revisited
3. Blonde on Blonde
4. Time out of Mind
5. Bringing It All Back Home

Not a terribly exciting list, I know, but all of those are undeniable classics.

I've written pretty extensively on Oh Mercy. I love Lanois' production, and Dylan hadn't written a collection of songs that good since Infidels (which left off some of the best songs from its sessions).

But I'm not alone:

To celebrate the album's 20th anniversary, Montague Street Journal: The Art of Bob Dylan dedicated roughly half of its debut issue (published in 2009) to a roundtable discussion on Oh Mercy.

In 2006, Q magazine placed the album at #33 in its list of "40 Best Albums of the '80s".

Consensus was strong enough to place Oh Mercy at #15 in The Village Voice's Pazz & Jop Critics Poll for 1989.

Also in 1989, Oh Mercy was ranked #44 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 greatest albums of the 1980s.

It should also be noted that Dylan's voice on this album sounds fantastic. By the time he made Time Out Of Mind...not so much (though there was improvement on Love and Theft).

And when Volume One of Dylan's Chronicles autobiography came out, he spent a significant amount of time talking about the writing and recording of that album, and only two other LPs got that kind of attention (ironically, I think New Morning was one of them).

Maybe I need to relisten. A few tracks on there are brilliant, like Ring Them Bells and Man in the Long Black Coat. They have a pleasant but menacing southwest vibe to them. I have trouble remembering much else off the top of my head, though.

Most of the Time?? That one's been lauded in many places. Also Shooting Star is a pleasantly simple closer that ranks very high for me. Dylan did a great version of it on his Unplugged episode.

Political World is a lot of fun, and still timely. Same with Everything Is Broken.

Most of the Time?? That one's been lauded in many places. Also Shooting Star is a pleasantly simple closer that ranks very high for me. Dylan did a great version of it on his Unplugged episode.

Political World is a lot of fun, and still timely. Same with Everything Is Broken.

Most of the Time is my favorite Dylan song. I know it's not his best (it's close though), but I have a real attachment to it.

I agree with Laz on Oh Mercy. It's a great, and somewhat underrated album.

Top 5 ZIMM

1. Highway 61 Revisited
2. Blood on the Tracks
3. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
4. Bringing It All Back Home
5. Desire

Desire would be in the top 5 for me if you replaced Joey with pretty much anything else from his catalogue. That song is bloody interminable.

Last edited:
Most of the Time is my favorite Dylan song. I know it's not his best (it's close though), but I have a real attachment to it.

I agree with Laz on Oh Mercy. It's a great, and somewhat underrated album.

And the album could have been even better. Outtakes have circulated for some time, but with the release of Tell Tale Signs you can now officially see what it might have looked like. Series of Dreams and Dignity were obvious standouts from the sessions, and the Lanois versions of Born in Time and God Knows (both re-recorded for Under the Red Sky with weaker results) would have made it a undisputed classic. Drop filler like What Good Am I? and Where Teardrops Fall and it's near-perfect.

I've had my own custom playlist for over 10 years, I urge others to do the same.

Desire would be in the top 5 for me if you replaced Joey with pretty anything else from his catalogue. That song is bloody interminable.

I don't love the song, but I don't hate it either. I find it rather pleasant and hypnotic, but it's probably the weakest song on an incredible album.

Top 20 songs:

1. Visions of Johanna
2. Shelter from the Storm
3. Tangled Up in Blue
4. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
5. Mr. Tambourine Man
6. Like a Rolling Stone
7. Gates of Eden
8. Simple Twist of Fate
9. Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands
10. Girl From the North Country (solo or with Johnny Cash, both versions are fantastic)
11. Don't Think Twice, It's Alright
12. It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
13. Lay Lady Lay
14. One Too Many Mornings (Live 1966)
15. Hurricane
16. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
17. She Belongs to Me
18. Isis
19. Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again
20. Queen Jane Approximately

If you're wondering why there's so much Blonde on Blonde on this list and the album isn't in my top 5, know it's #6. There are half a dozen Dylan albums that I consider masterful and that is one of them, but I arbitrarily cut the list at 5.

Last edited:
Desire would be in the top 5 for me if you replaced Joey with pretty anything else from his catalogue. That song is bloody interminable.

Definitely the worst of his epic songs. Not only pales in comparison to a classic like Desolation Row or Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands, but not even close to something like Brownsville Girl, Highlands, or the Tempest for that matter.

The rest of Desire is soooo good. Would probably be in my #6 spot, or #7 after The Basement Tapes.

Just a note about Blonde on Blonde: I love the writing and the sound/instrumentation and the quality of the material is consistent, but it just doesn't have many standout tracks for me, unfortunate as it's a double album. Outside of Visions Of Johanna and Just Like A Woman, there isn't much I get excited to hear.

I can't make a top twenty songs at the moment, but my #1 is One More Cup of Coffee. Gorgeous off-kilter melody that somehow sounds like a transmission from some previously unknown culture.

Back
Top Bottom