Bob Dylan - Rough and Rowdy Ways - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2020, 08:28 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:49 AM
Bob Dylan - Rough and Rowdy Ways

First album of original material in 8 years.

Reviews have been extremely positive, including the 9.0 and BNM from Pitchfork today (Tempest received a 6.8 and Modern Times an 8.3). 4.5 stars from Rolling Stone. Metacritic scores of 100 for reviews from The Guardian, LA Times, Mojo, The Telegraph, The Line of Best Fit, and NME.

Fiona Apple guests stars(!)

GET HYPE and discuss.

lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
45:33

Local Time: 08:49 PM
I think I'm gonna go straight out and buy this bad boy. I love Murder Most Foul.

Maybe U2 could look around and go hmm, maybe we don't have to make music aimed at getting us our next US #1 single. Maybe we could just make music we want to make without any pretensions of it being a big radio hit and we, too, could get our best reviews and sentiment in 15 years.

cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:54 AM   #3
The Male

His best since at least Love and Theft. Quite rich sound palette, very complementary for his voice, which sounds much better than it did on Tempest.

Key West is my favorite Dylan song in a long time.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:03 AM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Modern Times was a step down from L&T, but if there are three songs here better than Spirit on the Water, Workingman’s Blues, Ain’t Talkin’, I’ll be mighty impressed.

And I’m suspicious of your “at least”. There are few albums by anyone released since Love & Theft that are better.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:49 AM
This made me listen to Modern Times for the first time in ages and I had forgotten how good it is. I personally like it more than any releases since, and think Spirit in the Water is his best track in this period.
gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah, I've been trying to give R&RW more spins before commenting further. It's better than its two predecessors, I'll go that far. And it sounds absolutely gorgeous; I love the instrumentation and the arrangements, the relative delicateness of most of it, it sounds absolutely timeless.

But for me, the "tunes" just aren't there in a large enough number to compete with the two masterpieces from the 2000s. I know music and songwriting aren't just about melodies, but from a man who is so gifted at them, I wish there were just some more memorable ones here. Modern Times has like 5 tracks that I can conjure up in my head immediately, and I haven't heard it in a while (I'll be popping it in today).

I did go back and listen to Love and Theft again, and I'm sorry but anyone who thinks this new one is better is batshit crazy. First off that album ROCKS in a way that Dylan hadn't since...I don't know how far back to go. Mid-80s? Mid-70s? And there are a plethora of memorable tunes, and more importantly in so many variations of style. It really is a tour of American roots music and Dylan is a master at all of it.

It's scratching at my Dylan albums Top 5, if not actually inside it.

I should write more about R&RW, but it's so dense and subtle I need to keep listening. That is to its credit, I'm aware, but I don't see it being a "favorite".