Bloc Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://www.nme.com/news/bloc-party/46382

NME News

July 29, 2009

Bloc Party: 'We might never make a record again'

Kele Okereke says he doesn't know what the band will do next

Bloc Party frontman Kele Okereke has admitted that he doesn't know what the future holds for the band.

Speaking backstage at Australia's Splendour In The Grass 2009, Okereke confirmed that the band have no concrete plans on when their next album will be released, reports Triple J.

The band's third and last LP, 'Intimacy', was released in 2008.

"We don't know what the future holds," he said. "It's weird, we're out of contract now so... we might take a year off, we might take three years off.... we might never make a record again or we might head straight back in and do a record. We'll see how we feel come the end of this touring cycle."

Bloc Party are set to release new single 'One More Chance' on August 10.

maybe they SHOULD take a break ... they seem to tour and record nonstop!

Somehow, I'm not too worried about them never making a record again. I just don't think that will happen.

I love how they take that part of the sentence, where he's really just saying anything, and make it a headline.

:love:

Somehow, I'm not too worried about them never making a record again. I just don't think that will happen.

Yeah, me neither. As far as I know, they all get along. So really there's no reason to not make another album down the line. People that ambitious, driven and hard-working, and who get along well with each other are not going to just take three years off. I don't see it.

Kele's obviously grown and changed a lot since their start, but they seem cohesive and like they're all friends and having fun on stage every night, I would assume we haven't seen the last of them, but the past 2.5 years have been kind of nuts.

i don't know if it's this place's influence, probably is, but i was really digging intimacy there for a while, now i don't think it's all that great, aside from a couple of tracks. i went through a big bloc kick a while back, but haven't listened to them in a while. not a fan of the banal new single either.

having said that i would have given absolutely anything to go to splendour...

I do not know much about this band other than every song that appears on my Pandora radio, I love. I guess I should read though this thread and educate myself about them and their music.

Doooo it! Immediately!

:drool: :rockon:

My top 3 favorite bands (U2, Radiohead and Underworld) I've loved for years and years and years. But Bloc Party . . . I just discovered them in 2007 and in two short years they have rocketed to my #4 spot! I've seen them 8 times in the last 2 years and they are just absolutely PHENOMENAL live! :rockon: :rockon:

so here we are is incredible, in fact i think the first 8 or 9 songs on silent alarm are pretty much all flawless, the rest lets it down a little bit (including two more years and little thoughts there)

intimacy loses me with every listen.

Silent Alarm is certainly their best. Intimacy is good too but some songs are just weak (Mercury, Zephyrus...)

Certainly? Forums... where opinions coalesce into facts in mere fractions of a second.

AWITC is my favorite.

Not good news. But I think they definitly need a break. And Matt said they will do something together again in the future so I'm not too worried.

Kele's interviews around the release of Intimacy really seemed to hint that Bloc Party's days were numbered. :sad:

Well, maybe Kele will go it alone solo for a while. Honestly, without Matt and Russell, I don't know how far he'll get. The four of them have a chemistry, especially Kele and Matt, and I just think Kele may be surprised that people might not be as interested in him without the other 3.

I get a bit of a "Billy Corgan" control-freak vibe from Kele . . . just from interviews, both written and filmed. Just kind of an unspoken subtext from some interviews I've seen or read.

Who knows? :shrug: Maybe they're just all sick of each other right now and after a year or so break, they'll be more than happy to re-group.

well i wasn't really looking forward to them going down the house/club road... if all they've been able to come up with over the past few months is one more chance then maybe they do need a break.

Back
Top Bottom