Bloc Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good work, COBL. :up:

These guys are definitely one of the best bands in the world right now. I'd suggest checking out both of their other albums while you're at it.

Don't listen to the confusion, COBL. They're all good and have their high points and mis-steps.

After you've absorbed Silent Alarm some more, I would definitely recommend getting A Weekend In The City because it is vastly different from Silent Alarm; a huge departure and change. And if you want to delve deeper, A Weekend In The City spawned a plethora of (and some of the best) b-sides Bloc has done to date; there really are a TON of AWITC b-sides to choose from.

Bloc are one of my Top 4 favorite bands, so I'm glad to have more people discover them. Enjoy! :D

Cheers all!! :up: I think I'll keep delving into Silent Alarm, as you say, and then a bit further down the road check out A Weekend in the City. But for now this album's pretty fucking cool.

Did you all like Intimacy? And what about Silent Alarm remixed?

Did you all like Intimacy? And what about Silent Alarm remixed?

I thought it was decent when I first listened to it, but Intimacy grew on me a lot. I think I like it as much as A Weekend in the City. It's very different; more sort of dance/electronic. I like a band that changes their sound.

Silent Alarm remixed has some great tracks. I love the Death From Above 1979 cover of Luno and the remixes of Blue Light and Compliments. However, a lot of the mixes are mediocre and it pales in comparison to Silent Alarm, which is probably my favourite album of all time besides Pop.

Did you all like Intimacy?

I fracking LOVE Intimacy. On some days I might even call it my favorite Bloc album. It's a heartfelt breakup album hidden beneath piercing guitars and badass beats. Ares, Signs, Biko, Mercury, One Month Off, Halo, etc. Great songs, great stuff.

I do like Intimacy a lot, though I think I like the more electronic-y/out-there stuff (Ares, Mercury, Ion Square, Signs, Your Visits Are Getting Shorter, Flux) better than the hard-rocking stuff (Halo, Trojan Horse, One Month Off) which sounds a bit generic to me and which I think they did much better on Silent Alarm. (Though, I will admit, live "One Month Off" kicks ass! :drool: )

As for Silent Alarm Remixed, I'll agree with Atomic. But it might be worth it alone for the Whitey remix of 'Helicopter'. :drool: :drool: :rockon: I also really like the Blue Light remix and the M83 version of 'Pioneers' and the Four Tet mix of 'So Here We Are', all very ambient and beautiful.

I'll always call AWITC my favorite 2007 album, its a much more mature BP, and an excellent cohesive album, with thematic material, and their best lyrics to date. And the B-sides alone could have been an epic album.

Intimacy is great. Less interesting lyrically to the previous two albums I think, but it has some cracking tunes, namely Signs, Ion Square,and the growers Trojan Horse and Better Than Heaven.

Get the bonus version and you get two extra tracks including Letter To My Son featuring some Marr Guitar, the closest anyone might have come to sounding like the Smiths...yet still somehow sounding nothing like them.

Its not really a bonus version, its just the physical release included those, I don't there are any CDs out there without them, Flux as well even though its inclusion made no sense.

Its not really a bonus version, its just the physical release included those, I don't there are any CDs out there without them, Flux as well even though its inclusion made no sense.

They exist. They retailed for $19.99 in Melbourne as opposed to the bonus track edition which retailed at $23.99.

Flux was an ideal one-off single. One of Bloc's best songs, it doesn't need an album. More one-off singles please......

Wow, thanks all. Some very passionate Bloc fans here!! I love his lyric writing by the way, I've been particularly taken by This Modern Love. It's got really relatable lyrics I think, right up until the very end, "do you wanna come over and kill some time, throw your arms around me." That's a really good relationship-y lyric

Just how good is the ending to Positive Tension?? :drool: Fucking rocks.

Sorry. You're going to be getting some more bumps as I keep getting into this album :D

Huge fan of Silent Alarm, don't understand why these guys haven't risen with the likes of bands like Kings of Leon, Killers, etc.
Banquet, Like Eating Glass, Helicopter, and She's Hearing Voices make that album one of my top 10 of this decade.

I just listened to Intimacy for the first time. At first I thought the rumors of it not being so great were true. Then it hit Biko and it never came down again, at least for me.

Huge fan of Silent Alarm, don't understand why these guys haven't risen with the likes of bands like Kings of Leon, Killers, etc.
Banquet, Like Eating Glass, Helicopter, and She's Hearing Voices make that album one of my top 10 of this decade.

:yes: from what I've heard so far they eclipse both of those bands.

I hate to draw the comparison, but --

live in concert, when they're "on", I think they're like U2, they just blow the competition AWAY! as great as they can be on the albums, live is where they truly shine. :drool: :drool: :rockon: :combust:

I haven't seen them live, though have kept deliberating on getting tickets. only for them to be sold out.

I did see some DVD with them playing 4 tracks from Silent Alarm at some club somewhere, and I was very unimpressed. The tunes didn't have the explosive and ethereal quality that the studio versions offered. The songs featured were Banquet, She's Hearing Voices (which I've never liked much) and the timeless Banquet and So Here We Are. Mind you, this was only from watching a DVD, but it bored me.

Of course, seeing them in person would be a completely different kettle of fish, but if this DVD was supposed to sell me the need to see Bloc Party live, it failed miserably.

Sunday, a song about a hangover = best song to listen to during a hangover. Magic experience.

I haven't seen them live, though have kept deliberating on getting tickets. only for them to be sold out.

I did see some DVD with them playing 4 tracks from Silent Alarm at some club somewhere, and I was very unimpressed. The tunes didn't have the explosive and ethereal quality that the studio versions offered. The songs featured were Banquet, She's Hearing Voices (which I've never liked much) and the timeless Banquet and So Here We Are. Mind you, this was only from watching a DVD, but it bored me.

Of course, seeing them in person would be a completely different kettle of fish, but if this DVD was supposed to sell me the need to see Bloc Party live, it failed miserably.

Was it God Bless, Bloc Party? If so, that's not really the best.

TRUST ME, after touring almost constantly for about 5 years, they have become stellar live! :yes: Like I said, not every show is going to be pure magic (I find the festival and multi-billed shows to be not quite as good as when it's just their own concert), but when they are on, they blow the roof off! :rockon: And they're more often on than not; of the 7 times I've seen them, I'd say they were only not good once.

Back
Top Bottom