Bloc Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since I have very little idea about indie music, could you clarify what you mean by that?

Is there any real definition for it?

I've always thought it referred to debut albums that all the alternative folk hype up before it gets played on radio or they become mainstream - kinda like the crowd, "I only listen to music that no-one else has heard of" and then the band gets big and they all jump off the bandwagon.....

Indie's a dodgy term though - shortened form of independent.

Is there any real definition for it?

I've always thought it referred to debut albums that all the alternative folk hype up before it gets played on radio or they become mainstream - kinda like the crowd, "I only listen to music that no-one else has heard of" and then the band gets big and they all jump off the bandwagon.....

Indie's a dodgy term though - shortened form of independent.

Ah I see, that's what I was assuming you were referring to, I'm not a huge fan of those people. :grumpy:

Cheers.

So I'm trying out my own tracklisting of "A Weekend In The City" with some b-sides that I think are better than the album tracks or, if not better, than just as good. I think I like this much better:

1. Song For Clay (Disappear Here)
2. Hunting For Witches
3. Waiting For The 7.18
4. Secrets
5. Version 2.0
6. The Prayer
7. The Once And Future King
8. Kreuzberg
9. I Still Remember
10. Atonement
11. England
12. SRXT

Not quite sure about TOAFK; though it is an awesome, kick-ass song, it's more "Silent Alarm"-y and might not fit in with AWITC.

But the rest is :drool:

This thread needs to stay, its the all out Bloc Party discussion, the other one is focused on Intimacy.

I think AWTIC is excellent the way it is, I'd only look to find a way to get England and Vision of Heaven, I adore Atonement and many of the album's other b-sides but I think those are the only ones that would go with it. Kreuzberg is the only song I wouldn't mind seeing replaced, although it works just fine on the album.

I'm not a big fan of 'Where Is Home?' or 'Uniform', though 'Uniform' is fun live, I just don't really like it all that much on the album. 'On' and 'Sunday' are great and I have no problems with them, I just wanted to tackle some of the "problems" that a lot of the critics had with AWITC, which is that the 2nd half is just too slow and bogged down. That's why I wanted to throw 'Atonement' and 'The Once And Future King' in there and move 'The Prayer' down in the track order a bit.

I'm just playing around with it. I've already changed it since yesterday. :lol: I took out 'Secrets' and put in 'We Were Lovers' a bit later in the album.

Also, do any of you live in New York City and are free on September 18th?

Bloc are doing a FREE concert! The venue has yet to be determined, but they are doing a contest on iMeen (you have to join and become one of their friends) where you create your own setlist, include at least 5 or 6 songs that they want to play that night in your setlist (they give you a list of songs to choose from), and the setlist with the most positive feedback gets that person and a friend guaranteed into the free show!

Now that's one more reason I SO WISH I lived in Manhattan!!!!!

:drool:

Just got back from their show. Epic fucking concert, that's all I have to say. One of the best I've EVER seen (U2 included) and definitely the concert of the year thus far for me. The crowd was so into it, it was incredible. The band was spot on and they seemed to be having a good time on stage. Everything clicked tonight, which was great since it was the last night of the tour.

There was not one slow song tonight, they just tore through the set and it was so intense. I was kind of hoping for SXRT, but wasn't disappointed since the show was so good.

I also met the band after the show. They're super nice and very down to earth. They thanked me profusely when I complimented their performance. They were also slightly intoxicated, Kelé with a bottle of Heineken and Matt with wine. :) I had my photo taken with Kelé and Matt. Actually, Matt told me he didn't think he smiled in the photo (he was right) so he asked for a retake. Amazing!

And, Fitz, I told Matt "Fitz says hello." He looked at me quizzically (it could have been the alcohol, too) and he said, "Oh...um, tell him I said hello, too.

I thought you'd like that. :)

BoMac, that's so awesome!! glad you had a good time. I love Bloc live. seen them three times and will certainly see them again any chance I get.

How'd you meet them after the show? Did you just wait around or something? I so want to meet them!

BoMac, that's so awesome!! glad you had a good time. I love Bloc live. seen them three times and will certainly see them again any chance I get.

How'd you meet them after the show? Did you just wait around or something? I so want to meet them!

I saw The Raconteurs at the same venue this summer, and just happened to bump into them after the show (all except Jack White) as I was walking behind the building.

When the Bloc Party show ended, I was walking down to the subway station when it dawned on me that the band could there as well. And, 30 minutes later, they came out. It wasn't that long a wait, as I spent some time talking to the opening act, Holy Fuck, as they were loading up their Caravan. They were also very good, by the way.

As I said before, Kelé, Matt, and Russell were very gracious and hung around and talked to the few that had waited.

While waiting by the stairs someone on the crew walked by and offered me a hit of his joint, which I refused, because I was taken off guard by his offer. :wink:

Holy Fuck are cool; I saw them at Lolla

that's way awesome. Maybe next time I go to a show I'll try and wait for the band.

The album cover -

145950.14.jpg

Hot!

Hi guys.

Just wanted to bump this thread because I brought Silent Alarm. Joining the party a little late I know. I heard This Modern Love on How I Met Your Mother yonks ago and loved it, and had some extra cash, so picked it up.

I won't say it blew me away as I listened all the way through last night, but it was pretty goddamn good. They're not what I was expecting, a bit harder than I thought, but that's cool. Some awesome tracks on there. Like Eating Glass is fantasmic, though the last verse brings it down a bit. Positive Tension got off to a bit of a sucky start, and the stop-starting isn't so great, but man oh man what a finish. Can't remember the individual songs off the top of my head much though.

My only complaints were that it all had a bit of sameness about it, the guitar and the guitar style is quite similar on a lot of songs, and there's a lot of lyric repition.But I am nitpicking, and it's a top album :up:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom