Bloc Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I got a hold of a gold mine and I think I have all the b-sides now. So if any Blochead on here is minus a few and would like, just PM me and I can send them on over. The list is as follows:

(In chronological order, so far as I can tell)

This Is Not A Competition
The Marshals Are Dead
The Answer
Staying Fat
Storm and Stress
Skeleton
Always New Depths
The Present
We Were Lovers
England
Version 2.0
Selfish Son
Atonement
Cain Said To Abel
Cavaliers and Roundheads
Rhododendrons
Secrets
Emma Kate's Accident
The Once and Future King

I also do have Tulips, Hero, Two More Years and Flux, but I bought them off iTunes, so they're write-protected and I don't know how to take that off.

Anyway, the offer is open if any of you want to take advantage.

Until July 29th at The Mayan . . .

:bump:

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Bloc Party Debut New Single!

Bloc Party gave a world exclusive first play of their new single 'Mercury' to the Zane Lowe Radio 1 show in the UK tonight, if you missed it you can hear the song now on the Radio 1 website here.

Speaking live on the show about the new song and the on-going recording session for the band's third album Kele said "we're in the middle of it. we're still writing and working on it so it's quite hard to have an overview really, we are making the record i always wanted us to make so we just can't wait for it to be done".

The single will be released on the 11th of August.

The new song. Weird. VERY WEIRD :huh:
:eyebrow:

:coocoo:

Though I'm always stoked for new Bloc Party, regardless. :hyper: :drool:

Cool song:up:

A new album so soon?! Any ideas when it will be out? Will the new album follow the new single, or is this just a stand alone single like Flux was?

I like the pace that Bloc Party is churning out new music.

^ So far they're on an album-every-2-years pace. Silent Alarm in 2005 and A Weekend In The City in 2007.

They're touring through September, so my guess is we won't see an album until 2009. So far both of their albums have been release in or around March.

:drool: new Bloc Party album :drool:

Sure it isn't another one off single like Flux and Two More Years, as opposed to the first single from a new album?

I'll have a listen, A Weekend In The City was a magical album.

Ok, and I thought the song was weird!!!!!!!

:ohmy:

Mercury

...what the fuck

Bloc Party has gone crown on us

what is music¿?//bovine==interpretation_]]

/
((p_ulchri//_tude)

+__

/

Ok, seriously, I don't like this nearly as much as Bloc's original sound, but it's certainly interesting. If this whole album is weird and electro maybe it'll sorta be their Kid A? It's definitely got the weird factor. I'm curious to know what the rest of the album will be like, for example how they'd do slower songs.

I kinda miss the guitar ... :sad: but the bizarre cacophony of sound at the end of the song is certainly something. The song grows on me the more I listen to it... :up:

The song "may or may not' be on the new album apparently.

Am I the only one who doesn't think the song is THAT weird? They're hardly the first rock group to ever make an electronic dance song. It is what it is.

"Speaking live on the show about the . . . on-going recording session for the band's third album Kele said "we're in the middle of it. we're still writing and working on it so it's quite hard to have an overview really, we are making the record i always wanted us to make so we just can't wait for it to be done".

I would think this is NOT the first single from the new album, seeing as how the new album is only 1/2 way through the recording sessions. I think it's more a one-off in the vein of "Flux" or "Two More Years".

My excitement was just over the fact that a new album is in the works, not that "Mercury" was a single off that new album.

Am I the only one who doesn't think the song is THAT weird? They're hardly the first rock group to ever make an electronic dance song. It is what it is.

Well, it's weird for Bloc Party. Obviously there's much weirder music out there, but as far as Bloc Party's output, I would say this is the "weirdest" they've ever sounded.

Fair enough, I can agree to that. I think I've just listened to the Silent Alarm Remixed album enough that it doesn't seem all that shocking to hear their work done as dance music. Or something. And stuff.

Fair enough, I can agree to that. I think I've just listened to the Silent Alarm Remixed album enough that it doesn't seem all that shocking to hear their work done as dance music. Or something. And stuff.

:reject: I'm such a bad Blochead; I don't have "Silent Alarm Remixed" . . . though I have heard the Minotaur Shock Remix of "Tulips" and I absolutely love it!!!!! :drool:

Which is fine, but within an actual song? I don't dislike it, but whoa haha. So are we getting an album this year if this is out in August, or is it one-off? I'm certainly waiting for a new album as they're my favorite band this decade, but I think I'll take it one off to avoid an album like this haha.

Mercury is pretty cool. I prefer Flux, which is more "electronic dancey", but the electronic nature of both songs seems to suggest that they are one-off departures from the Bloc Party sound, as opposed to properly established new musical directions that will be utilised for their next album.. Mind you I initially found, and still find The Prayer to be kind of on it's own in relation to the other songs on Weekend In The City.

Who knows, let's wait and see what happens.

Mercury is pretty cool. I prefer Flux, which is more "electronic dancey", but the electronic nature of both songs seems to suggest that they are one-off departures from the Bloc Party sound, as opposed to properly established new musical directions that will be utilised for their next album.. Mind you I initially found, and still find The Prayer to be kind of on it's own in relation to the other songs on Weekend In The City.

Who knows, let's wait and see what happens.

That's a good point, and this stuff kinda sounds like The Prayer more than anything (or maybe She's Hearing Voices). Really despite being "weird" it's a somewhat natural progression from A Weekend in the City which had a bit of a more electronic sound with The Prayer, On, Where is Home and in general more going on production wise as opposed to the rather bare bones approach of Silent Alarm.

I guess we'll have to see what the album is like... I agree that it probably won't be on the album if they're not even done recording it yet. But I like that I constantly get new Bloc material :up:

I've done some searching and it seems more people involved are saying this year than not for a new album, so if they're releasing an album by the end of 2008, doesn't it seem unlikely they'd release a single that's not connected in August? Of course then again nothing in the music business can be predicted based on what seemed "normal" these days.

I've done some searching and it seems more people involved are saying this year than not for a new album, so if they're releasing an album by the end of 2008 . . . .

Well, in the quote I posted, Kele said they were still writing and working on it.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I'm just wondering how long it takes to put out a finished product if the band are still writing it. There's still the recording and mixing and artwork and album/lyric layout and cd production. Doesn't all that stuff take a long time?

Especially if they're on tour through the end of September (which they are).

:scratch:

Well, in the quote I posted, Kele said they were still writing and working on it.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I'm just wondering how long it takes to put out a finished product if the band are still writing it. There's still the recording and mixing and artwork and album/lyric layout and cd production. Doesn't all that stuff take a long time?

Especially if they're on tour through the end of September (which they are).

:scratch:

I'm going by comments he made during the online chat after they released Mercury. I don't want it rushed but I wouldn't mind new material this year.

:rockon: :combust: I FREAKIN' LOOOOOOOOOVE THIS BAND!!!! :drool: :drool:

Saw them for the 4th time last night and they were just as AMAZING as always; they never disappoint, they alway put on a mind-blowingly awesome show!

I didn't write the set down, but as far as I can remember:

Hunting For Witches
Like Eating Glass
Waiting For The 7.18
The Price Of Gas
So Here We Are
Song For Clay (Disappear Here)
Uniform
Mercury
This Modern Love (a "friend" of theirs, i think kele might've been joking about this, and his girlfriend came out on stage and the guy proposed to the girl onstage. it was all very quick and kind of strange, but the girl said "yes", so i guess that's all that matters)
The Prayer
I Would Die 4 U--Flux
Banquet

-------Encore Break--------

Sunday
She's Hearing Voices
Helicopter

(P.S. I could tell Matt has lost weight and it looks like he has teeny-tiny arm muscles budding. heeeeee heeeeee :sexywink: )

I'll be seeing them at Lolla

me too :D I will be up front hopefully, camped up at AT&T stage all day

Fitz I'm glad you had a good time. I love seeing Bloc! it'll be the third time for me. How was Mercury live?

also was Gordy missing at your show? I got an email saying he was replaced by someone temporarily since he had a kid

me too :D I will be up front hopefully, camped up at AT&T stage all day

Fitz I'm glad you had a good time. I love seeing Bloc! it'll be the third time for me. How was Mercury live?

also was Gordy missing at your show? I got an email saying he was replaced by someone temporarily since he had a kid

Mercury live was really cool! They did this awesome light-show during it (though we were indoors and so had the cool stage-smoke effect), and I just thought it worked really well live.

Yeah, I don't think Gordy will be there until the European leg. But his substitute bassist, Daniel, is really HOT! Cute, blonde, buff with tattoos on his arms. :combust: But more to the point, Daniel didn't miss a beat; he was spot on the whole show and didn't mess up once, so that was really cool. The whole band worked well together and just put on a great, great show; unless you're a big Gordy fan, if you didn't already know he was not there, you probably wouldn't even have noticed the difference (though, to be fair, IMO it's not really Bloc Party without Gordy :wink: ).

Also, this time moreso than the other times I've seen them, I noticed a lot of electronic-y background, synth support and it worked just great. It really fleshed out the songs and made them fuller without detracting from the main 4 bass, drum, guitar, vocal elements. I thought the background support just made the songs "pop" even more.

Soooo good.

I get to see them once more when I'm in New York next week (the 7th at Webster Hall) and then I'll have to wait for my Bloc fix for a while.

All you going to Lolla, have a GREAT TIME!!! I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I do! :wink:

Gordy's adorable, but I'm glad to hear the sub bassist is hot too...one needs to know these things :D

also glad to hear mercury is good live. it's a cool song and has grown on me a lot, but I didn't know if it'd work live.

Enjoy them in New York! I will be rockin' at Lolla.

Back
Top Bottom