Bloc Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
powerhour24 said:
Talk of a third album makes me extremely happy, I was trying not to let myself anticipate because I didn't think we'd see it for years...we probably still won't but this is good news.

years? It may come out before the next U2 album :happy: :wink:

so I love GA at small venues :drool: we got there right as the opening band started and we were still basically right up front, though on the side. Indianapolis crowds are lame as hell though. In Chicago everyone was jumping the whole damn show, but all the people around me were standing around like morons. It pisses me off that the people on the rail were completely motionless the whole concert. Why would you bother to get a spot in the front if you're just gonna stand there like a hipster asshole? Go jerk off to Pitchfork and die you boring douchebags. This isn't a fucking ballet, this is a rock show.

uh, anyway... :happy: good show and the end was AMAZING. during She's Hearing Voices Kele jumped into the crowd and crowd surfed!! as soon as he did that some space cleared and i bolted to the middle and got to touch him :heart: AND that meant I was part of a badass moshpit for Helicopter :rockon: finally people not being lame. actually I think people in the middle were a bit more active for the show, my friends who were in the middle the whole time said they were moshing.

I think it was definitely a shorter set than Chicago, but I did get to hear two songs I didn't before (Where is Home and Price of Gas). and even though Pioneers is my favourite Bloc Party song it doesn't bother me at all that they didn't play it, because pretty much every song rules, and I did not expect to see Where is Home! very cool.

also I think I've converted my stupohead friend to Bloc Party fan. now I need to convince him that U2 is more than just "okay" :wink:

but yeah awesome show. I think Chicago was better overall but the last couple songs really took the Indy show to a whole notha level.

FitzChivalry said:

What he said x587!

My favorite BP song!

:drool: :drool:

My top 5 Silent Alarm tracks

1. Plans :love:
2. This Modern Love:heart:
3. Like eating glass
4. So here we are
5. Little thoughts

Top 5 AWITC

1. Song for Clay :rockon:
2. Kreuzberg :love:
3. Srxt
4. Hunting for witches
5. I still remember

Really?? No "Waiting for the 7.18"??? I think that is their 2nd best song!

Mine would go:

1. Like Eating Glass
2. Waiting For The 7.18
3. Two More Years
4. So Here We Are
5. Little Thoughts
6. Hunting For Witches
7. SRXT
8. I Still Remember
9. Song For Clay (Disappear Here)
10. On

Well, at least today that's how they would go. :wink:

FitzChivalry said:
Really?? No "Waiting for the 7.18"??? I think that is their 2nd best song!

Mine would go:

1. Like Eating Glass
2. Waiting For The 7.18
3. Two More Years
4. So Here We Are
5. Little Thoughts
6. Hunting For Witches
7. SRXT
8. I Still Remember
9. Song For Clay (Disappear Here)
10. On

Well, at least today that's how they would go. :wink:

no I don't like Waiting for the 7:18 all that much :wink:

now Kreuzberg is currently fighting for my number 1 spot :drool:

Uniform
On
Where is home

don't do much for me either :shrug:

:wink:

Hmmm, how can I squeeze "This Modern Love" and "Banquet" into my top 10 without removing any that are already there. :scratch:

:lol:

I agree with you about "Uniform" and "Where Is Home?" (though Where Is Home? has some amazing drumming!), but I've loved "On" since the first time I listened to AWITC.

Grrrrr, now I'm thinking maybe I should get tickets to the Detour festival. Decisions, decisions . . . .

I like too many Bloc Party songs to rank them, seriously. Whenever I try I'm like "I love this one...but I also really love this one..." and I end up listing like every song. even their non-album tracks (b-sides, unreleased, whatever) are top quality.

and I can't believe you guys don't like Uniform and Where is Home?, they're two of my favourites :sad: I like them because of their unusual structure. They're not typical rock songs. Uniform is my favourite song from AWITC, easily.

There was a sense of disappointment as we left the mall
All the young people looked the same
Wearing their masks of cool and indifference
Commerce dressed up as rebellion

'Cause we're so handsome and we're so bored
So entertain us, tell me a joke
Make it long, make it last
Make it cruel, just make me laugh
We can't be hurt, we can't be hurt

Drink to forget your blues on the weekend
Think about more things to buy
The TV taught me how to sulk and love nothing
And how to grow my hair long

'Cause we're so handsome and we're so bored
So entertain us, tell me a joke
Make it long, make it last
Make it cruel, just make me laugh
We can't be hurt, we can't be hurt
We can't be hurt

So why do you go picking fights that you'll lose?
(When you have entertainment. When you have things to pass the time)
So why do you go thinking thoughts that are above you?
(You can be happy, just play dumb. You can be happy, just play dumb)

Well I was brave (and unique), intelligent (a snowflake)
I could have been a hero
No-one can be trusted over the age of fourteen
Tattoo our arms (Converse shoes), cynical (we still do it)
We tell ourselves we're different
I've gotten so good at lying to myself

(Oh!)
All my pain and honour is used up
(Oh! Oh! Oh!)
All my guns are rusted

So when you gonna realise
Those are not your wrongs to right?
Have another line, have another drink
(Pop songs won't change the government, the government)

I am a martyr, I just need a motive
I am a martyr, I just need a cause
I'm a believer, I just need a moment
I'm a believer, I just need a cause

We're finding it hard to break the mould
We're finding it hard to be alone
We're finding it hard to have time by ourselves
We have nothing at all to say

Uniform

There was a sense of disappointment as we left the mall
All the young people looked the same

:love: that song was written about the hipster assholes at my show :angry:

also

Kick drum pounds, off-beat hi-hats
Remember to look bored

:angry: jerks.

Well, my issue with Uniform is that, while I understand it's trying to be epic in nature, I get kind of bored waiting for the "rock" part of the epic tale to occur.

Take another epic song, "Stairway To Heaven", even before the kicking crunch of rock 'n roll comes 3/4 of the way into the song, I'm never bored at all with the slow, soft, melodic beginning, or with the mid-tempo middle. It's an epic song that holds my attention the entire way through.

I cannot say the same for Uniform. In fact, I think Song For Clay works much better on the epic scale than Uniform.

Oh, and not to knock the lyrics. I have nothing against Uniform's lyrics.

And yes, I hate boring, stand-still people at concerts too!!! :mad:

I really like the build-up. I love the guitar part during the first part of the song. Also the production is great, all the voices and such throughout. jacknife lee did a fuckin amazing job with A Weekend in the City. It really does feel like a city

also I have no problem with people that just want to stand or even sit at a concert, but if you're gonna do that, you do not need a rail spot. You need to go to the back.

As for Uniform, I think it is epic and has no boring parts at all, creatively I think it is AWITC's strongest song.

How could I possibly rank their songs (although not as hard as doing so for U2), they don't make too many songs that aren't top-notch.

I liked the first album quite a bit. I wasn't so big on the 2nd one when I first heard it a few times, but I'm liking it more and more and I especially connect with the lyrics. I still find some of the songs a bit too Coldplayishly soft pop, but there's a lot there about lost (Muslim) youth, and that's quite admirable of them.

I really don't get Coldplay comparisons, to me they have a very distinct sound, and an amazingly talented drummer and singer.

FitzChivalry said:

I hope someone sent you Two More Years :drool: :drool:

I don't have it on this computer, otherwise I'd send it to you.

Tulips and Hero and pretty awesome as well, but Two More Years :rockon:

two more years is one the first song of theirs I heard :p

vision of heaven is the shit :drool: :drool:

this song speaks to me and should not have been a B-Side :mad:

Was Two More Years a B-side? I thought it was released as a one-off single with Hero???

There was a project awhile back with a whole album's worth b-sides from A Weekend in the City.

FitzChivalry said:

never heard this one. now i'm jealous.

i've heard:

two more years
tulips
hero
skeletons
storm and stress
always new depths
this is not a competition

i bought the first 3 off iTunes and AtomicBono sent me the other 4. thank you AB! :wink:

really ? vision of heaven is gorgeous :drool:

you gotta listen to it asap! :ohmy:

the chorus is so lovely :heart:

for now listen to it :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=y6G4MfYfuZo

this is a very u2 sounding piece

"
Cut the wires and the cables
That run under the sea
The walls are white, the rooms are cruel
In the house where I worry
These days I just want to be alone
These days I just want to be alone"

:drool: :drool:

powerhour24 said:
Was Two More Years a B-side? I thought it was released as a one-off single with Hero???

There was a project awhile back with a whole album's worth b-sides from A Weekend in the City.

yea I don't think that two more years counts as a B-Side

but then again I might be wrong :wink:

I didn't know they were playing in Providence the day before the NYC show, now I have tickets to Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello the same night, damn. Why the hell are they skipping Boston?

Back
Top Bottom